Coopers Community

Blonde

ByronE

Not very strong for a blonde mate, but will taste great anyway. Don't be afraid to throw a fair bit of sugar at it if you want to bring up the gravity. [bandit]

Edit: Don't worry about hops or grains unless you want to do a short boil with some noble varieties. Belgians are all about the yeast. [love]

cheers fellas.

Think i got some dextrose laying around i could smack in. See how it churns out

If you use a good yeast it will turn out wonderfully. Only a few things to remember with Belgians:

1. High OG + low FG is gained with the liberal use of simple sugars.

2. The flavour comes almost entirely from the yeast, NOT from hops or spices usually. On the subject of hops, you usually want the bitterness quite low anyway. I usually keep mine to 20IBU or lower.

3. LEARN HOW TO RIG UP A BLOW OFF TUBE!!! [w00t] Belgian yeasts do NOT like to stay confined to the FV! Get some tubing from Bunnings which will just fit through the airlock hole with the grommit. Run the tubing into a bottle that's 1/4 full of sanitizer with the end of the hose submerged. Mine blow Krausen for 4-5 days straight, and you don't wanna know what it's like if you're not prepared. [crying]

4. Drink them fresh! If you like the flavour at 2 weeks, chances are it's the right time to start drinking them! Nothing is worse than tasting the wonderful flavours that the Belgian yeasts throw and thinking to yourself "wow, just wait until they're 3 months old!" You then leave them for a couple of months and find that the flavours from the yeast have diminished in the bottle and it's now quite ordinary. [crying]

I'm really happy someone else around here is getting into their Belgians. They are such a special beer, and I'd recommend any of our resident hop-heads take some time away from destroying their palates with IPA (the way I do with vindaloo [roll]) and enjoy some of the wonderful malt/yeast driven beer styles there are out there. I'll just climb off my high-horse now. [roll]

very very very helpful advise phil.[biggrin]

What are some yeasts you have used if you dont mind me asking?

Using the Coopers DIY fermenter would i be right to clip the lid and krausen coller together? Or is this something quite violent?

very very very helpful advise phil.[biggrin]

What are some yeasts you have used if you dont mind me asking?

Using the Coopers DIY fermenter would i be right to clip the lid and krausen coller together? Or is this something quite violent?

I've tried Wyeast Forbidden Fruit, but my fave is Wyeast 3787 - Trappist HG. It's an absolute monster. [devil]

After punching in some numbers, I'd probably do the following:

Boil up 100g of your DME in 1L of water for 5 mins or so. Use this to activate your vial of yeast in a sanitised glass container (once it cools FFS!)

Mix up the following in your FV once your starter has a krausen on top. Once you've topped it up to 22L, add your 1L starter to it, then cover your ears and duck! [lol] [devil]

1.7kg Pilsener Can

1.5kg LME Can

400g DME (coz you took 100g out for the starter)

800g Sugar

Don't add any hops, as the bitterness will be spot on for the style just from the Pilsener kit.

According to the almighty spreadsheet, you will end up with the following:

OG - 1.065 (perfect)

FG - 1.010 (apparently your yeast is listed at 82%AA [surprised )

IBU - 22.8

Colour - 6.4EBC

ABV - 7.6%

Ferment between 22-24C to let the yeast take over. This should help to get that kind of attenuation as well. [cool]

Good luck standing up after a few of these mate!

Archived