Coopers Community

My Trans Tasman Hop Slam

Scottie

Just tapped my Ella Moteuka IPA and I'm glad to report Hairy that this one doesn't blow.

Extract Recipe

1.5 kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

1.5 kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract

250g Carahell grain

8 litre boil

30g Ella @ 40 mins

15g Ella @ 10 mins

15g Ella @ 5 mins

20g Moteuka @ 5 mins

20g Moteuka @ day 7

200 ml Wyeast 1332 rinsed from the trub

Hey Scottie. Have you used Carahell before? What do you think?

Cool name for grains. [cool]

Can't pick the flavour the hops dominate but the head and lacing is good and its a nice beer. Bloody hard grains to crack with a rolling pin.

Yeah I have noticed they sound different. [lol] I think we might have figured it out - they're just harder' date=' so they make more noise when you measure them and are more difficult to crack than regular base grain. [rightful']

Entered into my brewing diary. [lol]

• 3 weeks later...

I so love this hop, (St)ella and the Moteuka sets it off nicely. This is better than my Stella IPA and I am now planning to do a (St)ella partial mash.

As you can tell a couple of these have been enjoyed while watching the Sunday afternoon footy [biggrin] [bandit] [innocent] .

Hi Scottie.

I'm glad the (St)Ella based IPA of yours turned out well. [joyful]

I've done my share of reading on the hop with the limited amount of info available out there. I'm also not aware of any well known commercial breweries using the hop as a mainstay in any beers of note yet either. Given time, I'm sure that something good will evolve. If you know of one, please let me know. [unsure]

I recently got my hands on some Riwaka that I plan to use in an IPA in the next week or so. I've not yet tried it, but have heard rave reviews about it. I also have some Falconer's Flight hops left over from a previous brew, that could also get a nod again shortly. [joyful]

While you keep brewing with (St)Ella, I'll certainly keep reading your posts, as I am interested in learning more about the hop, & trying it at some point. [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived