Coopers Community

Question on stout

RohanM1

Hi All,

I'm just new to the forum and have a question that I'm sure one of you can answer.

I live in regional victoria with no LHBS near by, my LHBS is BigW, and even then, the selection is limited at best.

I am wanting to make a decent stout for the father in law, I am thinking of the Irish Stout recipe however I can not buy the TCS stout and LDM locally. I would have to settle for the original stout and BE2... Is this going to be any good or should I just wait till I can get to a brew shop???

Cheers.

Hi rohan, it makes an OK drop, but far from spectacular. As you already know, the Irish is far superior. i find the stout and BE2 recipe lacking in body and richness. instead of BE2, have a go at a toucan with OS Stout and OS dark ale, the result will be light years better. Also consider adding some extra DME. It will give it a good kick, add body/mouth feel and give you a better head and head retention.

Hi Rohan - Welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I'd strongly recommend the following. All ingredients are readily available at Big W.

Best Extra Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 litres

Use both sachets of yeast

Ferment at 18C

Beware! It can be quite volcanic during the first couple of days.

If you have a DIY style fermentor you should be right but make sure to use the Kollar. Alternatively you can start the brew at around 18L and top it up gently with cooled boiled water to 23L after a day or 2 when the krausen drops back a bit. Don\u2019t splash or stir as you really want to minimise the introduction of oxygen at this stage of fermentation.

It may sound more dextrose than usual but it really make a great beer and I\u2019d recommend including it...This is a tried and true recipe originally penned by Cooper\u2019s own PB2.

I'm enjoying a toucan stout right now that's only three weeks old (I suck at the waiting game) and it's already very enjoyable! I made it without the kilo of dextrose - which is pretty much there just to boost the alcohol content (please correct me if I am wrong with this Muddy) - because I don't like to be on my ear after only a couple of beers.

Just put the brew down, made to 18lts as muddy suggested, it had about 5lts of foam on top so I assume it'll have a nice creamy head.

Will give an update as it comes along.

"Toucan Stout", I like it!!! Might get the bride to make up some labels...

...This is a tried and true recipe originally penned by Cooper\u2019s own PB2.

Got another simple to make recipe in the "Featured Recipe" pipeline - weighing in at 7.2% ABV with a blend of coffee and chocolate aromas. Keep an eye out for it in the next electronic newsletter [biggrin]

Hi Rohan - Welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I'd strongly recommend the following. All ingredients are readily available at Big W.

Best Extra Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 litres

Use both sachets of yeast

Ferment at 18C

Beware! It can be quite volcanic during the first couple of days.

If you have a DIY style fermentor you should be right but make sure to use the Kollar. Alternatively you can start the brew at around 18L and top it up gently with cooled boiled water to 23L after a day or 2 when the krausen drops back a bit. Don\u2019t splash or stir as you really want to minimise the introduction of oxygen at this stage of fermentation.

It may sound more dextrose than usual but it really make a great beer and I\u2019d recommend including it...This is a tried and true recipe originally penned by Cooper\u2019s own PB2.

I love this beer one of my favorites

Well it's been on the go for a bit over 24hrs now and it's bubbling away nicely, sitting at about 20deg.

I was surprised how smooth it tastes, it's obviously still very sweet but with a dry bitterness lingering at the back of the mouth.

What OG should I assume for this recipe? I dropped my hydometer before I got to test it, I have another on order FG testing.

Good afternoon gentlemen,

Come time to bottle this black beauty, how much sugar do you suggest I use to prime my stubbies?

I read that you don't use as much as normal for stout as you don't want it too fizzy, but how much it too much and how much is not enough?

I don't have the means of bulk priming (don't have anything to rack into), and normally use the small end of one of those red double ended home brew measuring spoons, I think it's a teaspoon?

It's tasting great by the way and the fermenting has slowed right down, almost seems as though it's finished, but I'll wait until I get my new hydometer this weekend so I can take a couple of tests before I go ahead and bottle it.

Cheers,

Rohan.

Archived