Coopers Community

Stone & Wood PA sort of clone.

Jay

Hey all,

I\u2019m attempting a kind of Stone & Wood Pacific Ale cloneish brew this week. Pieced together from Soundawakes recipe, someone else I can\u2019t remember who, and my own little twist.

Does anyone see any problems/improvements with this. Not so much in terms of it being exactly like a S&WPA, more that it is not going to be horrible, badly unbalanced or the methods not right. Cheers Jay

1.5Kg Liquid Malt Extract.

1.5kg Liquid Wheat Extract

500g Light Dried Malt

300g Dextrose

250g Carapils Carafoam

5Litre hop boil with 500g LWE

5g Galaxy@30mins

15g Galaxy@15 mins

15g Galaxy @ 5mins

15g Galaxy @ 0 mins

15g Galaxy dry hopped day 4-5

1 pkt US05 yeast (rehydrated)

Made to 21L

Method:

Heat 5L water to 60-70 degrees.

Add 500g LWE

Steep Carapils for 30 mins.

Take out grains/steep sock.

Bring to boil.

Do above hop boil.

Cool down.

Add to FV with other extracts dex etc.

Fill to 21L add yeast etc.

Expected ABV - 5.5%

cheers guys.

It's a shame we can't somehow all try each others best beers eh. Would love to see how good everyone's brews are.

Good onya for having a go at this one Jason

I couldn't bring myself to do such a small & short boil. I went halfway between Dyl's and Soundawakes recipe. I have another one down at the minute but I really should go and get the real thing and consider doing it properly.

Will be keen to hear how yours goes Jason. +1 re comment on trying each others beers. We can do it by brewing it but that takes a lot of trust. I mean my current Galaxian Pale Ale has been down for 2.3 weeks, hopefully kegging on Saturday, and that's a long time to invest on a brew that you are unsure about.

We can do it by brewing it but that takes a lot of trust. I mean my current Galaxian Pale Ale has been down for 2.3 weeks' date=' hopefully kegging on Saturday, and that's a long time to invest on a brew that you are unsure about.[/quote']

Unless you are brewing a beer for the second time aren't you always unsure how it will turn out?

Unless you are brewing a beer for the second time aren't you always unsure how it will turn out?

This is true Hairy

This is why I would prefer to start out a tad bitter and pull it back, too bitter I can do 20 litres of but not too sweet [sick] .

I did a 25 minute boil for the 1st time yesterday.

I can't get over the fact that the boil has a personality, and really really REALLY wants to make a mess of your kitchen.

Just to undermine you in front of your missus and kids...

I did a 25 minute boil for the 1st time yesterday.

I can't get over the fact that the boil has a personality, and really really REALLY wants to make a mess of your kitchen.

Just to undermine you in front of your missus and kids...

[lol]

And it always waits until you turn your back on it [devil]

+2. That's why I'm struggling to get through this amber ale' date=' which incidentally was my final extract brew before I went AG. It's too sweet, but I'm comforted in the fact that there's only about 10 stubbies left of it. [lol']

These days I'm trying to get more comfortable with tipping beers out if I'm not 100% happy with them. I found myself sitting around, choking down batch #whatever, and longing to drink batch #better, when I just thought, bugger it. Life's too short. I will tip from now on if I am unsatisfied. [cool]

I definitely thought about it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean, it's not TERRIBLE, but definitely nowhere near as good as the brews I've done since, but I still couldn't tip it for some reason. Maybe because I made it myself, I don't know. But I'm on the home stretch now and I don't have to worry about drinking not so good brews anymore at least for the next few batches as they've all been tasted and have turned out very nicely! [biggrin]

Life's too short. I will tip from now on if I am unsatisfied. [cool]

Phil

This is dangerous. I mean all it takes is am absolute cracker, a freak beer if there is such a thing, and a lot of beer is going to flow. Flow down the sink as you try to rekindle an old romance with that magnificent Stone & Wood type Ale that you made, and to make things worse you were drunk when you brewed it and didn't follow the recipe. You have no idea how you made and you have no beer left to drink 'cause you spoiled yourself.

[alien] [alien] [alien]

Hi all,

what do you guys use as an IBU calculator? For some weird reason I've entered my recipe and method (5L boil) into this calculator http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

and it comes up as 5.73 total IBU. I was thinking it was going to be around 20-25 like Soundawake stated. Unless I'm being a bit of a twat and entering the info incorrectly?

puzzled Jay

Hi all,

what do you guys use as an IBU calculator? For some weird reason I've entered my recipe and method (5L boil) into this calculator http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

and it comes up as 5.73 total IBU. I was thinking it was going to be around 20-25 like Soundawake stated. Unless I'm being a bit of a twat and entering the info incorrectly?

puzzled Jay

When you change the boil volume, it changes the boil gravity to some ridiculous number. It is a bit weiird.

You get less utilisation at higher gravities.

For Kits and Extract brews, I use IanH's Beer Designer spreadsheet from AHB.

thanks guys...

So using the boil gravity outcome, do I then use that to work out how much extract I need in my 5 litre boil? From what I've worked out, that would be about 600g DME.

Normally the ratio is 100g malt extract per litre of water to give a gravity of about 1040. There is a difference when using liquid malt but it's not much. I always used dry malt in mine anyway because it was easier to measure and less messy. If you've got the wort from the carapils as well then maybe put a bit less dry malt in it. That's where the spreadsheet Hairy mentioned comes in handy - it will calculate how much DME or LME to use based on the boil volume and any grains that may be steeped.

I bought a case of the S&W Pacific Ale 2 weeks ago

I really like the nose, but the taste/mouthfeel could really do with a bang more bite

it did grow on me a bit, but for my palate it needs much more in your face bitterness

Yeh, I know what you mean, I was drinking it last night on tap which I was pretty chuffed about. And I was pondering it a bit. I like the lightness to it, even though its pretty hoppy, you can sink a few without getting sick of them like I do with a lot of Pale Ales. Nice summer beer methinks. Bit of extra bitterness might be quite nice though eh.

Archived