Coopers Community

Old Ale Recipe

Hey y'all.

I know it's probably getting a bit late to be brewing and aging for winter, but here we go. Tried an Old Peculier the other day and was rapt. Not wanting a clone, but something in style. I've read up on Old Ale in BJCP and this is what I've come up with:

Fuggly Philbo's Challenging Old Ale

23 Litres

4.8kg Ale Malt (Maybe Maris Otter if I've got the $$$ [love])

635g Dark Crystal

635g Wheat Malt

125g Black Malt

125g Chocolate Malt

Mash @ 68c for a bit of booty

90min boil

25g Challenger @ 45

25g Fuggles @ 5

25g Fuggles @ F/O

With no-chill adjustments this should give me ~ 30.8 IBU

OG = 1.060 with 70% efficiency (which I should smash with a double sparge [cool])

FG = 1.019 (Danstar Windsor always finishes really high)

Do you lot reckon it needs anything else? I know the style sometimes calls for molasses or invert sugar, but I'm not sure really.

Looking forward to it. [happy]

Looks good Phil. I would hold off on adding molasses or invert sugar this time and see how it goes.

What temp will you ferment it at?

And you definitely aren't trendy Phil; I thought you were up with the youth lingo. There is no F in the youth alphabet. Your beer should be called:

Phuggly Philbo's Challenging Old Ale

Looks good Phil. I would hold off on adding molasses or invert sugar this time and see how it goes.

What temp will you ferment it at?

And you definitely aren't trendy Phil; I thought you were up with the youth lingo. There is no F in the youth alphabet. Your beer should be called:

Phuggly Philbo's Challenging Old Ale

[lol] Phor sure Hairy.

I will probably just pherment it at the usual 18-20 in my phridge.

Should be a phairly phiesty phizzy pheast phor my phat guts.[lol]

Yeah, I was thinking I should leave out the other phermentables until I try a proper AG version.

Thanks bud! [happy]

That was ephen funny [lol]

I would go closer to 20 than 18 degrees. One of the reasons you use an English ale yeast is to get the fruity esters it produces. You may as well give it a helping hand.

It means transferring the hot wort from the kettle into a cube and letting it cool naturally without using wort chillers. It's what I do partly because I can't be bothered with a wort chiller and partly because I don't brew batches to be fermented immediately - they usually sit in the cube about 2 or 3 months before I get around to it.

You guy really think you're phunny' date=' eh? I can barely phigure out what the ****k you're talking about[biggrin'] !

Hey, this is the phirst time I been censored[biggrin] [cool] !

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

You guy really think you're phunny' date=' eh? I can barely phigure out what the ****k you're talking about[biggrin'] !

Hey, this is the phirst time I been censored[biggrin] [cool] !

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

You'll phind that you'll be censored when you use philthy language Chad [rightful] ...profanity is strictly phorbidden in this phorum.

Archived