Coopers Community

Authentic IPA

NathanW9

Hi all, have a ton of galaxy hops to use, anyone reckon it would still suit the intended IPA style? Was thinking of doing the below;

1 x TC IPA Can

1 x kg LDME

500g Dex

Dry Hop after foam down 10g galaxy

Simple but will it taste good?

i made an imperial with the TC IPA, 1.5kg can liguid malt and 500g dextrose. i Then dry hopped 40 grams of Galaxy at day 4 and let sit in the FV until day 12 where i cold crashed for 3 days and bottled.

The samples smelt great and tasted great, after bottling my hand smelt like passionfruit and flowers from the spilt beer very aromatic

i tried one bottle after 4 days in the bottle - very strong scent, taste and bitterness. its nice but i do hope it mellows out a bit more between then and when i next try a bottle

Hi all, have a ton of galaxy hops to use, anyone reckon it would still suit the intended IPA style? Was thinking of doing the below;

1 x TC IPA Can

1 x kg LDME

500g Dex

Dry Hop after foam down 10g galaxy

Simple but will it taste good?

Nathan, if IPA is the go, try scotties "stella IPA" its a dead set winner and easy as fcuk to do.

He has it linked to his signature, but he's away at the mo, so you will have to go back through old threads to find it. I am sure someone here might be post a link. I aint too smart with these computer thingies[crying]

Lets try this. I am new to brewing, will only start my 3rd batch this weekend, using kits again. This time I want to up it a little bit, so please advise on this recipe.

1 can Coopers IPA

500g light dry malt

400g Coopers Brew sugar

Goldings or Fuggels, 50g dry hop

Made up to 23l

I was thinking about using the brew sugar to get some maltodextrin in my brew for better head.

I then want to dry hop with about 50g Goldings of Fuggle after 1 week in primary. I was thinking of dry hopping into the primary for about 7-10 days and then to rack over to my bottling bucket. Priming will be 8g of table sugar for every liter of beer.

I know this is not authentic IPA, but I want to start slowly and I don't want the beer to be to strong.

Welcome to the forum Paul.

Your recipe looks fine. Have you tried Goldings or Fuggles? I like Goldings but thats just my preference.

One thing you may consider is reducing the priming rate. I prime most of my beers now at 6g/l using table sugar. Apart from being less fizzy I have also found that my beers have a better, thicker head. It may have nothing to do with the priming rate but it is something I have noticed.

It all comes down to your personal taste and whether you like your beers really fizzy.

Thanx Hairy. No, this will be my first attempt at dry hopping. After some more research I think I might go for 30-40g of hops, just to be sure my wife and friends who are all still commercial lager drinkers will enjoy my IPA. I used 8g per liter priming my Australian Pale Ale, and after 6weeks it tastes really great! Only problem is almost half the batch has already been drunk[annoyed]

Hi Paul,

I have my first IPA fermenting away at the moment. I went for a bigger beer and used a short boil for some bitterness and more flavour. I used Styrian Goldings and a little Saaz.

I dry hopped 25gm Golden Styrian, but if you are only dry hopping definitely use more. I would even go 50gms, these are very low in Alpha Acids so it is just aroma mainly you will be getting.

Judging from how mine smells after 5 days, more is good :)

I am glad I took the recommendation of Styrian Goldings.

Also, I plan to prime with 6gms/L as Hairy mentioned too. My fruit salad ale is nice and almost gone after only 4 weeks too lol.

Conditioned with 8gms/L and I do think 6gms/L will be better for a more flavoursome beer like an IPA. The 3 IPA's I tried last week all had lower carb levels than a Coopers Pale Ale for example.

Welcome to the forum Paul.

Your recipe looks fine. Have you tried Goldings or Fuggles? I like Goldings but thats just my preference.

One thing you may consider is reducing the priming rate. I prime most of my beers now at 6g/l using table sugar. Apart from being less fizzy I have also found that my beers have a better, thicker head. It may have nothing to do with the priming rate but it is something I have noticed.

It all comes down to your personal taste and whether you like your beers really fizzy.

Have you compared the head with table/caster sugar VS Dextrose?

Hi Otto, yes thanx, I only want to add more aroma to the brew, but still not sure how much Goldings I will use.

If the recipe asks for 300g dextrose, will it be ok if I use like 400g of Coopers Brewing Sugar? Can't find dextrose at any HBS near me[crying] and I want to start brewing tomorrow morning.

Archived