Coopers Community

English Bitter

Mainiac

I'd probably drop the maltodextrin, it doesn't really add anything to that kit (or anything else in my opinion). Steep some carapils instead if you want. I have brewed it straight with just some extra DME and it was a very nice kit. There's a million things you could do though - do a short hop boil (5-10mins) with 20g of either EKG, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings or any other British hop. You could dry hop with 25-30g of said hops. You could steep some spec. grains as well, crystal malt would be nice I reckon. Or you could just make the kit + kilo of LDM to see what it's like by itself first and then experiment with those suggestions later, it's all up to you mate! Those are just a few suggestions to ponder though. [biggrin]

Yup, Kelsey is the man. [cool]

I always just used the DME, some crystal grain, and some British hops. If you have crappy taste buds like mine that only respond to stronger flavours, then choose the Styrian Goldings over the other two if you can find them. It's the only hop for English beers that I can really taste when I use it. [crying]

Besides, I reckon the EB kit (if you mean the Coopers one) is flavoured with SG hops, so adding some fresh to it will be sweet.

maltodextrin' date=' it doesn't really add anything to that kit (or anything else in my opinion). [/quote']

I reckon Malto is the mis-understood child in brewing [biggrin]

I mean, how much different is it to mashing at a higher temperature to achieve a higher finishing gravity (great in a mild). Malto gives the extract brewer that very option, give the little guy a break [sad]

maltodextrin' date=' it doesn't really add anything to that kit (or anything else in my opinion). [/quote']

I reckon Malto is the mis-understood child in brewing [biggrin]

I mean, how much different is it to mashing at a higher temperature to achieve a higher finishing gravity (great in a mild). Malto gives the extract brewer that very option, give the little guy a break [sad]

Well said![cool]

I can understand adding Maltodextrin to a kit with a heap of sugar (like the brewing sugar or BE1).

But I was under the impression that malt extract is generally made from mashing in the higher temp range, so for a brew with a heap of malt extract you wouldn't really need to add Maltodextrin.

But I also could be completely wrong [innocent]

Also, a question for someone out there; how alike are the dextrins produced from a high mash temperature to the powdered Maltodextrin stuff? I have mashed at 70 degrees in a middy with great results but I have also used the brewing sugars and found a strange flavour from them. I have put it down to the Maltodextrin but I could be wrong (again).

A beer with too much maltodextrin can leave a coating on the tongue and roof of the mouth - some might describe it as slimey or a soapy feeling.[pinched] For me, 400g to a 23 litre brew is the upper limit...

Too much malt extract is likely to leave a residual sweetness, which can be balanced up with a good amount of bitterness.[kissing]

with a heap of malt extract you wouldn't really need to add Maltodextrin.

True but I wouldnt have thought there was a difference in mash temps, theres a lot of DME only recipes out there....maybe PB can disclose the mash temp of there DME and whether it differs to there extracts and there bottled beers...This info could be quite useful to some of the more advanced extract brewers on here when tweaking there recipes.

I believe MD is always produced by mashing and greater quantities are produced at a higher mash temps (70\xb0c would be fine depending on the style and your taste).

I would also say that adding powdered MD is not going to be as nice as extracting more non-fermentable sugars from a 'slightly' higher mash temp, in the same way using extract doesn't taste as g ..... oh I didnt just ..... yikes [unsure]

I just found this from a quick google search.

Coopers Malt Extract

It isn't really definitive. It says the mash temp doesn't exceed 75 degrees [surprised

So therefore it is mashed somewhere between 0 and 75 degrees. I hope that clears it up for you Graham [biggrin]

I would like to know the answer too. Sometimes when making partials, depending on the style, I will mash 1-2 degrees lower than I would with full AG because I was under the impression that the liquid malt was mashed higher.

I was toying with doing a stepped mash on a nut brown ale I have to make tomorrow' date=' was going to do 50,65,70 in 30min increments [/quote']

How do you do that with your setup? Do you start off with a thicker mash and just add more (hotter) water at each interval?

Talk about over complicating things [biggrin]

I think this is such good kit that I generally only change up the hops on it, it already feels and tastes good, the head's already awesome, etc.

I'm about to put on an 'American English Bitter' with some cascade, maybe some chinook (undecided), malt, kit yeast.

Don't think i'll bother with any extra grains.

ALthough now that I've typed all that, I think i've changed my mind... maybe some Carapils...

But back to the original question, I'd replace the maltodextrine with dextrose, or leave it out completely.

Fuggles dry hop is very nice in the EB kit.

edit (1hr20 later):

I'm such a hypocrite.. carapils and chocolate added...

As always, EB has made my house smell amazing [biggrin]

My comments on maltodextrin were based on my own experiences with it - I never really noticed any difference using it or not so I didn't see any point in using it again. Still got half the pack sitting there from about 10 months ago.[lol] But, others' experiences may differ.

Also I'm with Mark on the Old Speckled Hen, tried it a couple of times on tap at the Pig & Whistle pub in town and rather enjoyed it so wouldn't mind trying to brew something similar.[cool]

Archived