Coopers Community

My Celebration- opinions please

aaronp6

Guys,with the birth of my son several weeks ago I thought about having a stab at my own brew, close to the celebration ale but with a few variations to give it some more flavour. Please feel free to comment as required, these are the only ingredients I have in my brew fridge to play with at the moment

1.7kg Coopers Draught tin

1.5 Morgans Liquid Amber Malt

200gms carapils steeped

15gms chinook 45mins

15gms cascade 15mins

15gms nelson sauvin 5mins

10gms chinook flame out

15gms nelson sauvin dry hopped

us-05

OG 1.047

FG 1.011

Still pretty new to this, so happy to take on board advice/opinions

Thanks

Hi Aaronp6.

The only thing I can see is that it might end up a little on the sweet side with the whole 1.5kg of Amber malt. I haven't used that volume before with a pre-hopped draught tin, so who knows, maybe it'll take up the amber flavour quite well. Personally, I'd reduce the amount of amber malt by a 1/3 to 1/2 of that volume & add in 400-500gms of LDM.

On the spreadsheet I use, your OG & FG readings come out almost the same, the 4.3% ABV is about right, provided you are kegging it, if not, nearer to 4.8% ABV if you are bottling it.

Bitterness seems to be around the 38 IBU mark.

The figures I listed are based on you brewing to 23 litres.

Just my 2 cents.

Anthony.

I concur with it possibly ending up a bit too sweet with 1.5kg of Amber Malt. I brewed an APA kit with 1.5kg Amber and it was way too sweet. Having said that, I didn't have any extra hop additions. However, the spreadsheet calculations are dependent on boil volume. The smaller the volume, the less IBUs, apparently anyway.

I've been experimenting with some amber ales, so far I'm finding them all too sweet, with the IBUs ranging between 25-30. My next attempt I will increase the bittering hops to try and get it more around 35-38, and hopefully this will make it more balanced.

The only real way to find out what it will taste like is to brew it. If you find it too sweet then next time either reduce the amber malt as Lusty says (which will also lighten the color) or use the full 1.5kg but increase the hop additions to balance out the sweetness that the amber malt brings to the brew.

Good luck!

Gents, thanks for your input, Beerlust if your calcs are right then my IBU's are headed where Otto is planning for his Amber ales. The coopers celebration ale recipe uses this much amber malt and the draught kit, so I figured the sweetness would be balanced by the hops, and considering I am boiling my Chinook for a long time, this should see me right? Right?

The only real way to find out what it will taste like is to brew it. If you find it too sweet then next time either reduce the amber malt (which will also lighten the color)' date=' or use the full 1.5kg but increase the hop additions to balance out the sweetness that the amber malt brings to the brew.[/quote']

+1

Anthony.

The coopers celebration ale recipe uses this much amber malt and the draught kit' date=' so I figured the sweetness would be balanced by the hops, ..this should see me right? Right?[/quote']

Hey Aaron

I have only used Amber Malt Extract 5 times, each time the full 1.5kg. One of those that I did with the English Bitter Kit was what I would call bland, it had no added hops or grains.

However I wouldn't classify the ones I've drank as too sweet. The Hop Gobbler and my Bushy Park Amber, the latter only having 40g of hop boiled for 5 minutes.

I reckon your balance is worth trying, if anything I would reduce the first boil time on the Chinook. But as Kelsey said you need to brew it and try it.

BTW for my Coopers Celebration Ale I boiled 25g Centennial for 12 minutes and Dry Hopped 25g each of Centennial and Nelson. IBU 27.5, it didn't taste sweet from the FV but has only been bottled for 3 1/2 weeks. Tasting next week.

There seems to be a consensus around here that you can't use 1.5kg Amber Malt in a beer.

As long as it is appropriately bittered it is fine. I used it in a batch which was bittered with centennial and Amarillo hops to around 38 IBUs. I thought it was a great beer.

I just thought someone needed to stick up for the poor defenceless amber malt [rightful]

I just thought someone needed to stick up for the poor defenceless amber malt [rightful]

Maybe a recipe challenge thread on the horizon Hairy? [lol]

Anthony. [biggrin]

Only if it is created by someone other than me [biggrin]

I might add my weight (considerable as it is [crying] ) to the support of the Amber Malt tin.

I have made a few brews with it using the whole 1.5kg tin & they have all turned out great, according to all who have tried them.

So, considering all input, once again appreciated,some more research and some willingness to just give it go, I put together this number a bit earlier.....

1.7 Coopers draught can

1.5 Amber Malt tin

200gm carapils-steeped 30mins 60-70c

200gm dextrose

15gm chinook for 20mins

10gm cascade 12mins

15gm nelson sauvin 10m

5g chinook flame out

5gm nelson sauvin flame out

15gm dry hop nelson sauvin day 3/4 fermentation

us-05 pitched @ 23c

23 litres

OG 1.044

Fingers crossed, will have to keep on top of this chap considering a few hot days coming up in Radelaide, thanks again for the input, will let you know the result

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
BTW for my Coopers Celebration Ale I boiled 25g Centennial for 12 minutes and Dry Hopped 25g each of Centennial and Nelson. IBU 27.5' date=' it didn't taste sweet from the FV but has only been bottled for 3 1/2 weeks. Tasting next week.[/quote']

Well guys

It took a little longer than planned but I am testing this one right now, on account that my eldest daughter got engaged to day.

I don't think you can go wrong with PB2s recipes (not sure about the Carribean Siesta though). This is really good and just over 6 weeks bottled.

Cheers Paul, as long as you keep formulating recipes like this I think will continue coming back to brew the occasional Coopers kit.

PS I sat one aside (345ml) for SWMBO to celebrate with as well, but I just put that back in the fridge for \u2018ron, she can stick to the FSA on tap.

There seems to be a consensus around here that you can't use 1.5kg Amber Malt in a beer.

As long as it is appropriately bittered it is fine. I used it in a batch which was bittered with centennial and Amarillo hops to around 38 IBUs. I thought it was a great beer.

I might be a bit late, but +1 to Hairy's comment. I've used a 1.5kg amber malt tin with kit cans and they've all been great beers - Wegg's Amber Yak and my LCPA clone for example.

If you hop it right, it's really really nice.

I have/had nothing against the amber malt, but it was too sweet when I used it. I put that down to not enough bittering hops to counter it though rather than the malt itself not being suitable. I'm still experimenting trying to find the balance although using different grains to achieve the same outcome as the malt tin now.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, first taste of this last night and it is a good beer. No fear of being overly sweet, I think the high alpha hops balance this really well. Just a tad under the four week mark in the bottle and it will only get better. Thanks again for the assistance and banter, this site has been great for my brewing so far and sure it will continue to be. Next brew is the Porter with the English bitter for base, time to prepare for the cooler months, happy brewing!

Archived