Coopers Community

Porter

Hi SteveL. (I bow to thee!)

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!! [lol]

Your EB Porter thread has been a mainstay in discussions on attempting Porter style recipes since I first joined the forum back mid last year. It has constantly been re-referenced & linked to by many members over numerous posts since you initially began the thread.

The recipe I bottled in early February (of this year) was, & is my only attempt at a Porter style recipe, & I took in a lot of different source info, along with using what ingredients I had on hand at the time, before constructing the recipe & brewing it.

I have listed the recipe EXACTLY as I brewed it below. I'm sure anyone reading it will see some technical faults, but I would personally be quite happy brewing the exact recipe again, as I was really happy with the end result.

Coopers EB kit tin 1.7kgs

Coopers Amber Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Dark Dry Malt extract 500gms

Dark Wheat Malt Grain (13-14EBC) 250gms

Chocolate Malt Grain 150gms

CaraPils 100gms

Fuggles 15gms @ 15mins

Fuggles 5gms @ 5 mins

Oak chips 30gms added into FV at start of primary ferment.

Cascade 12gms dry hopped

2 x Vanilla pods added into FV at same time as Cascade dry hop. (4-5 days after start of ferment)

I did a 1 hour mash (yes I mashed the small amount of grains!) & added the liquid from the mash to 150gms of the dark dry malt extract for a small 4 litre boil for the hop schedule listed. From memory I think it ended up @ approx. 6.8 - 7.0% ABV.

I'd be interested on your take of my recipe, & what you might try to improve it SteveL. [cool]

I reckon I'm not alone in saying that the forum would enjoy hearing your thoughts on brewing more often. [joyful]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Did you notice the effect of the Cascade dry hop? Such a small amount in a malt driven style like a porter almost seems like a waste of time. But in saying that I haven't tasted it. [lol]

Haha... that be one of the "technical faults" I mentioned. [lol]

And I agree with you Kelsey (on the surface).

It's one of those bizarre little anomalies that you would expect not to notice in a beer like that, but if you took it out of the recipe, you may well notice it missing in the end beer when drinking it. [unsure]

Anthony.

Dark Wheat Malt Grain (13-14EBC) 250gms

Chocolate Malt Grain 150gms

CaraPils 100gms

I did a 1 hour mash (yes I mashed the small amount of grains!)

Nit-picking on my part here, but I don't reckon any of those grains would have the diastatic power to perform an actual 'mash.'

Your carapils and chocolate don't have any enzymes for conversion (happy to be corrected here [unsure]) and wheat malt does not have enough of its own, usually requiring help from the enzymes in a base malt made of barley to help it along. This is why wheat beers always have some portion of barley malt in them.

Of course, I'm just being pedantic, and the flavours you get from steeping those grains will probably be quite nice. [cool]

I wouldn't be too concerned. You are just steeping the Carapils and Choc malt. And you only used 250g wheat malt so you weren't really getting much from it anyway. You will still get the colour etc.

Good nit picking though Phil [lol]

Well, personally I probably wouldn't notice any difference. I can't even notice 12g dry hop in a pale ale. I always dry hop them 30g or more. I didn't dry hop my porter mainly because I see it as a malt driven style and the hops are more there to balance the sweetness than provide any flavour or aroma. [joyful]

Wow! You guys are harsh!

This brew was in the early days of when I just started to experiment with grains & partial mashing/steeping.

When I said, "...I'm sure anyone reading it will see some technical faults...", I didn't expect that's all anyone replying to the post would focus on.

Tough Crowd. [crying]

Anthony.

Well' date=' personally I probably wouldn't notice any difference. I can't even notice 12g dry hop in a pale ale. I always dry hop them 30g or more. I didn't dry hop my porter mainly because I see it as a malt driven style and the hops are more there to balance the sweetness than provide any flavour or aroma. [joyful']

I'm usually hopeless at picking the more subtle hops, but after taking a break from hop driven beers for a while I think I've really started to develop my palate.

I'm fermenting an American Brown at the mo (1st time) and I might skip the dry hopping and see what I get from my late additions of Centennial and Citra. [love]

When I said' date=' "...I'm sure anyone reading it will see some technical faults...", I didn't expect that's all anyone replying to the post would focus on.[/quote']

It sounded like a challenge [devil]

Archived