Coopers Community

Cheap Aussie Lager

Stoobrew

Ok so you all know I like throwing rocks in the pond. I can let this one go un-thrown! So I tried to make a Melbourne Bitter clone. I figured this. Its $45 a carton and I recon I could make a clone for less than $1 a longie tasting just as good since they use a ratio of something like 60% Sugar and 40& malt plus POR hops(researched some hop companies looks). I had been eyeing off the (seriously hear me out) 'coles' brand lager malts which are about $7 if you can find them. So I finally snapped and got one, then went to Big W and bought a can of the liquid brewing sugar and some Coopers light dry malt. LHBS for some Lager yeast and some POR hops. Recipie as follows I used 250g of the Light dry malt, 600g of the liquid brewing sugar, the can of lager malt and the saflager yeast, 30 min boil for the POR hops and threw it all in. It fermented at about 16 degrees for just over 5 weeks!!! Whala Aussie lager through and through bit of a malty taste at the front after 3 weeks at 5 weeks it tastes just as good as any commercial lager in the country. I think next time I will use the whole can of brewing sugar, 250g of Light Dry and fill it to 25L. SG I forgot to take but the FG is 1005 [rightful] So that was $26 for everything and it tastes great WAY better on a hot day than most of the cheap Aussie lagers around [ninja]

Interesting... personally I am not a fan of the Melbourne Bitter. However, I know of people who brew the following k&k recipe and claim it to be rather close:

Coopers Heritage Bitter Can

1kg Dextrose

Kit Yeast

I have not tried making this nor have I actually tried a sample. Just passing on what I know others claim is ok.

I had thought of that but I run into the old problem of not having easy access to Heritate range cans :( that sounds pretty good though :D may have to do a comparison next winter! Has anyone tried that with 1kg of liquid brewing sugar?

i recently picked up a tin of Tooheys special lager' date=' threw in a box on BE1 and S**tload of cascade hops, filled to 25ltrs and ended up with a very nice thirst quencher. 3 cartons for well under 20 bucks! [/quote']

I think Cascade hops grows better in Tassy ;) that said it was probably a really good Cascade clone :D

I'm just throwing this out there but if your brand of beer is called Cascade....you're probably using cascade hops. There are no native Australian hop plants! The Dodonaea viscosa was used by some of the first brewers in Australia with limited success! That said I know for a FACT that MB(after my research[ninja] ) uses Pride of Ringwood hops for bittering since that is the major hop crop grown in Victoria ...! I'd love to see someone try this in a beer!! ---> http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2007/dodonaea-viscosa.html

What is the makeup of the liquid brewing sugar?

Is 1kg of it the same as 1kg of dextrose or is it more concentrated?

Same, same its made of Liquid Corn Sugar so ....The reason I used that over Dextrose is as far as I have tasted the results of liquid sugars ei,honey,malt, molasses the liquid sugar seems to help complement the bitter flavour where as the dextrose can conflict with the hops and produce that acrid taste especially in lagers in my experience, then again it may be because the liquid sugar is more available and so you dont need to age your lagers as long as if you had used dextrose?? I'm no scientist but I'm sure if I was I could come up with something to back that up...my taste bud may not be good enough[innocent]

Those early brewers knew a thing or two...I could go with(prob) Cascade's first master brewer had a thing for cascade hops...that or he was some kind of marketing genius!!! Saying that...It doesn't seem like real brewers have ever liked sharing their genious. hence why Coopers rocks the house!!!

According to wiki, none of their beers use Cascade hops except Cascade "Blonde". Although some aren't listed. As far as I know Cascade hops were first released in 1972 so I doubt the brewmaster in the 1830s knew anything about them[lol] But I agree that the good recipes usually remain a secret to the original brewer/brewery, which is a good thing really. Except for us home brewers trying to replicate it [lol]

According to wiki' date=' none of their beers use Cascade hops except Cascade "Blonde". Although some aren't listed. As far as I know Cascade hops were first released in 1972 so I doubt the brewmaster in the 1830s knew anything about them[lol'] But I agree that the good recipes usually remain a secret to the original brewer/brewery, which is a good thing really. Except for us home brewers trying to replicate it [lol]

So did you find anything not on Wiki? As in the first commercially grown hops in Australia and what year that was?

No, but whatever they were, they weren't Cascade hops.

http://beerlegends.com/cascade-us-hops

Hate to mention it and if it hits a sore point...the use of hops in Australia far out-dates the written history of it. The US is AWESOME at everything...so yeah must be the reason their hops are so much better than the local brands and why all our hops come form the land of the 'brave and free'.....ffs[lol]

According to wiki' date=' none of their beers use Cascade hops except Cascade "Blonde". [/quote']

Yes, Cascade hops have no link to Cascade Brewery. Haven't tasted Cascade Blonde (formerly known as Summer Blonde) for a while now. It is touted as a wheat beer but I would be surprised if it carries any Cascade Hop addition. [sideways]

Cascade is a variety of hop that first appeared in the US in 1972. That's the be all and end all of it. I'm not saying there weren't any hops grown and used in Australia prior to that, as there obviously were since we've been brewing beer for the best part of 200 years. All I'm saying is the Cascade variety has nothing to do with the brewery of the same name. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that and why you keep throwing in irrelevant crap. [pinched] /endrant

[lol] Stoo is back...and he's all fired up [biggrin]

Too true [whistling

But..

The Cascade Brewery is located at the foot of the beautiful Mount Wellington, around South Hobart way. The other amazing thing is that the Cascade (AKA Hobart) Rivulet passes close by. Now Cascade may mean a lot of things to the US Brewers and growers but to Tasmanians it is descriptive of the way that beautiful clear water cascades down from the mountain.

[lol] Stoo is back...and he's all fired up [biggrin]

Too true [whistling

But..

The Cascade Brewery is located at the foot of the beautiful Mount Wellington, around South Hobart way. The other amazing thing is that the Cascade (AKA Hobart) Rivulet passes close by. Now Cascade may mean a lot of things to the US Brewers and growers but to Tasmanians it is descriptive of the way that beautiful clear water cascades down from the mountain.

Wow Scottie knows some things....I completely hadn't taken added the creek to the equation :/ And now you mention it I remember something about that!! Thats where the name comes from [happy] ...Maybe Cascade(Brewery) has some law suits to follow because of the blatant rip off of name by the US hops botanists...?? [bandit] At least it would stop confusion!!!

Archived