Coopers Community

Basic amber ale?

I don't know if this recipe is too complex for you or not, but I found it over on AHB to replicate Squire's, and I'm gonna give it a go after I do my Euro Lager:

3.00 kg Light Liquid Malt Extract

300g TF Crystal UK

30g TF Chocolate Malt UK

Hops

40.00 g. Willamette Pellet 45 min.

10.00 g. Willamette Pellet 5 min.

Yeast

US-56 or SO-4

Steep crystal and choc malt in about a litre of 66/67C water for 30 mins. Then strain into pot, bring it up to 7 litres, add 720g of LME, bring to boil then add hops as per recipe.

I'm not sure what TF malt is but I'm sure the stuff they sell at the LHBS will suffice. Thinking of using medium crystal to get the amber color. Looking forward to doing this one, JSAA is one of my favourite beers. I'm just wondering, is Willamette just a US grown Fuggle? If so I might use Fuggles instead, since my LHBS sells it and not Willamette.

Cheers,

Kelsey

I'm just wondering, is Willamette just a US grown Fuggle? If so I might use Fuggles instead, since my LHBS sells it and not Willamette.

Kelsey

Not sure, but I have a stack of Willamette grown here in Tassie at Bushy Park. I have used it in my IPA and my hop gobbler, and I'm planning on using it in an extract APA.

The Australian grown hop variety Willamette is a seedless aroma variety grown by Hop Products Australia since 1988. Willamette has Fuggle type aroma qualities. It is known for its aromatic properties and moderate bittering. It has been used as a replacement for Fuggle hops. It is characterised by moderate alpha acids (moderately bittering) and aroma qualities. http://www.hops.com.au/products/australian_varieties/willamette.html

I'm not sure what TF malt is

Thomas Fawcett, a UK Malster (you can order those quantities from Craftbrewer mixed into one bag and pre-cracked)

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4074

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3896

I believe Willamette is a US grown Fuggle but has more of a citrus edge to it, I've just dry hopped an English IPA (full of Target, Fuggle and EKG) with 50g of Willamette with nice results.

I like the idea of an Australian grown hop.

Apart from the quote from hop product Australia who actually grow the hop, Malt Shovel Brewery use Australian Willamette grown in Tasmania in their

Not just an American grown Fuggle [rightful]

Cool, well I'll have to have a bit of a look around. Might even drop into Craftbrewer for the grains and hops, that way I can pick up some StarSan at the same time. I've tried that 150 Lashes, I rather enjoyed it actually so that might be another one to try and come up with a recipe for down the track[happy]

Cheers,

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally made it out to Beerbelly today (nice lady) and got some liquid malt and fuggles pellets, so next weekend is the big date for building this one.

Also got a can of the Thomas Cooper series thing of irish stout, so looking forward to doing something with that too.

Couldn't wait until the weekend so I brought this one forward. Everything went smoothly (good thing I had plenty of cold water to get the temperature down) although the first gravity reading (excluding the discarded sample) was over 1.055, so I added another liter of water to get it down around 1.052.

I have a good feeling about this one [happy]

Ah, see, I wasn't sure about that and I'd seen someone use a bag for that reason on YouTube but I didn't have one and I remembered reading about Chux so I just did it. Thanks for clearing that up [smile] I guess my tea would've been a bit weaker though due to my method. Oh well, still got a good feeling [happy]

• 4 weeks later...

So, got a bit keen and tried one of these after only 11 days in the bottle and ... [sick]

[sad]

Not actually that bad, but not at all carbonated (not one bubble in the beer, although it did go "psst" when I opened it) and the taste wasn't quite right or ... good.

The reason I tried it was that, as I said, I was really keen about this beer and have had a good feeling since doing it. On top of that, when bottling it I ended up with a 3/4 bottle at the end so I thought here'd be no harm in drinking that one a little early.

This is the one that I left alone while I went skiing and when I got back it was at 14C. I brought it back up to 20 before bottling but then I'm not really sure what the conditioning temperature was so who knows what happened.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that this is just a matter of impatience getting the better of me and not a completely failed brew. If it is failed I'll definitely try it again, but I don't think I'll have to. In the meantime though I'm left feeling a little apprehensive for a couple of weeks until I try another one, which is a complete about-face on my feelings thus far about this guy.

You'll probably find they taste better with more time in the bottles. Temperature seems the most likely cause of the lack of carbonation. I've got 2 batches of American pales that I brewed about a month ago and when I tried one of them it was quite flat. But it has been too cold here for ale yeast to work properly and I only have temp control on my FV, the bottles are at the mercy of the elements..

Strange that it went 'pssst' but there was no sign of any bubbles. Try and put the bottles in a warm place.

To be honest, I don't remember specifically that it did but I'm pretty sure that it did and I think if it hadn't made a noise then I definitely would've noticed that.

Same thing happend to me today I opened one of the Dry's I bottled on the 24th to test and it did the same, "PSSST" when opened but held no bubbles and a very coarse head that quickly dissipated. Mine is left to the temperature gods as I have already taken over one room to brew in, which unfortunately has no heating[annoyed]

Yep that's why I'm brewing a couple of batches of lager at the moment, the weather is perfect for it right now. Plus, I was too busy this weekend to put the batch on so it won't get done til next weekend, and by the time it's bottled the weather will be warming up again anyway and those other batches will hopefully carb up.

Looking towards summer in Qld[The premier Nrl State]after keeping the temp around 18c plus for the first couple of weeks,does it matter if the temp gets up to early 30ths after a while

I syringe prime with a liquid dextrose solution. My beer carbs up quite quickly.

Since I only brew for scientific purposes [cool] I normally sample on day 4 in the bottle and find a little carbonation then every day after that until after about 7 days there is good carbonation and it holds a head well.

I know what people will say about green beer etc but I brew with good ingredients, use some crystal, some extra hops, and a quality dry yeast at 18C and not a word of a lie, after a week the beer is great. The hop taste and aroma is fresh.

Back to my original point, maybe the liquid dex priming helps it carb up faster?

Back to my original point' date=' maybe the liquid dex priming helps it carb up faster?[/quote']

Is the liquid dex solution something you have made yourself with dextrose and water?

If so, in terms of carbing, I can't see how it can be any different to bulk priming with dex solution.

Being an anxious type I've just opened another one and ... SUCCESS!!

I mean, it's not great cause it hasn't been in the bottles for long, but it's starting to carbonate and taking far less green. Now that I'm satisfied I'll actually be able to relax, sit back and let it do it's thing for a while before I try any more.

[smile]

Archived