Coopers Community

Basic amber ale?

I'm new! Hooray! Welcome to brewing me [happy] In fact, I've already made my first batch (which wasn't too bad once it aged a bit) and have all the ingredients ready to start the second one next week.

Anyway, I'm always thinking ahead and the next thing I'd like to try is an amber ale. I've seen some recipes but there's a few words in them I don't understand, so could someone please spell it out for me? Ideally I'd like to start with one of the Coopers canned brew things, add a bunch of malt or sugar, perhaps add some kinda secret ingredient and end up with something like James Squier's thing ... maybe?

Any suggestions? As I said - please spell it out in simple terms, especially if it's more complicated than mix+sugar

Welcome to the forums mate,

Since its only your second brew try this:

Coopers draught kit

Coopers amber extract

500g Dry malt extract

25g Fuggles hop pellets

1, Bring 2L of water to the boil, bring off the heat and add hops, let sit for 30mins....in the mean time.

2, Bring another 2L of water to boil and mix in dry malt extract

3, Pour both into fermenter straining the hop tea

4, Add both cans of extract and fill to 20L

5, Add yeast

6, Ferment at 18c, age for 8 weeks

This will give you a simple hop infusion amber ale, it wont give you a JSAA. I would suggest getting some more experience with the basics first and start researching 60min boils, speciality grain steeping and yeast varieties

It really isnt difficult but you need to learn to walk before you start running, get the style down then chase the clone.

This forum is a great place to start

Good luck

Used in the way Graham suggests, hops will add flavour and aroma to your beer. There are hundreds of varieties all suited to different beer styles. Fuggles are a classic for any darker brew. I only started using hops at the beginning of this year after brewing standard recipes for many years, and I will never do a brew without them again!![love] [love] [love]

Much like you Phil im only new to the hop side of it but will not brew without them, they give character to the brew, I have not brewed any amber ales but fuggles would be great I have just used them in an extra stout and it was amazing, I like the coopers Pale Ale with Cascade Hops for the lighter brews similar to J S or Sparkling Ale Kit with Hallertau

a great amber ale is

+ Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg kit

+ Liquid Amber Ale 1.5kg can

either Nelson Sauvin, Moteuka or other north US type hop boiled/steeped etc like graph shows (Simple good graph!) depending on what you want to ad.

do the same but with can of liquid wheat malt for a Golden Ale [wink]

Good luck, let us know how you go.

I'm not really an amber ale drinker, but thought I would give one a go.

I have got a tin of OS Lager spare so I was looking at this recipe:

1.7kg OS Lager

1.5kg Liquid Amber Malt Extract

200g Dextrose

20g Pacific Hallertau hops 15min boil

Yeast - undecided

20g Pacific Hallertau hops dry hopped

23 litres

Any thoughts?

Greg, somebody else may be able to elaborate further on this, but I have found when using liquid Amber, you need to reign in the sweetness by bumping up the hops.

I think, depending on the bitterness of the Lager kit, you may need to have an earlier hop addition, say @ 45 mins.

I think there would be a formula, I know there is a formula for working out IBU's, but does that take sweetness into account?

I could be way off though [roll]

My attempt at a JSAA

Pale ale ale can

1.5 kg coopers liq amber malt

0.5kg dry amber malt

25g cascade @ 30 min, 25g nelson @ 30mins, 20g galaxy @ flame out 10 min steep. Strain

150g dex

Us-05 yeast

23l

5g cascade 5g Nelson 10g galaxy dry

Forgot to add 5.4% IBU 38.3 EBC 19.7

• 1 month later...

Right, so, I never quite got around to this but I think the time is drawing near! I reckon I'll be trying GrahamB8's recipe as my first experiment with hops and other things:

Coopers draught kit

Coopers amber extract

500g Dry malt extract

25g Fuggles hop pellets

1, Bring 2L of water to the boil, bring off the heat and add hops, let sit for 30mins....in the mean time.

2, Bring another 2L of water to boil and mix in dry malt extract

3, Pour both into fermenter straining the hop tea

4, Add both cans of extract and fill to 20L

5, Add yeast

6, Ferment at 18c, age for 8 weeks

Feels like something I could handle, no worries :) I have a couple of questions though, of course.

So, is it important to sanitise things like the strainer used? I'm sure it is, so does it need a full-blown bleach or is a run in the dishwasher and some no-rinse sanitiser good enough?

Next, I've never seen Cooper's liquid malts in any store - are they only available online?

Finally, what about the hops? Is a store the best place to get them or can they be bought online as well?

Archived