Coopers Community

Amber Yak

weggl

Reported some time back that i was about to make a Pale Yak and discovered i had not enough LDME, but spotted a 1.5 kg can of Amber malt on the shelf so i chucked it in instead. Must say it has turned out a first rate beer, I might award it 12 points out of 10. [love] [love] [love] [love]

Here it is

CAN COOP PALE ALE

1.5Kg COOPERS AMBER MALT

20 CASCADE 10 MIN -20 NELSON 10MIN

15 NELSON F/O 150 DEX US-05 YEAST

23L

here is the Pale Yak I started out to make.

CAN PALE ALE

1.3 DME-20 CASCADE -NELSON 10 MIN

15 NELSON FO- 170 DEX- CULTURED YEAST

23L IBU41

Weggl

My last three brews have been with the Coopers Amber malt in either 750g or the whole tin, and all have come out "Champions". The brews have been similar to yours Warren. I find the amber malt to be one of my new friends for 2012 as I haven't brewed with it before, instead I have been relying on crystal grains to do the job for colour and sweetness.

Hey Weggl

I have a freezer full of hops, but no Nelson Sauv. Do you think that I could get a similar (or just good) result using some combination of Cascade, Galaxy, Amarillo and Centennial?

Also, how does this beer go on bitterness? I've always used the Real Ale kit as a base, which from memory is quite a bit more bitter than the Aussie Ale.

-Dyl

It sounds delicious and I think I will try this very soon Weggl.

In my freezer I have 90g Nelson, 45g Cascade pellets, 90g cascade flowers, 90g Galaxy pellets, 80g galaxy flowers, 90g Amarillo pellets and 90g Northern Brewer pellets (for my Steam beer).

Like Dylan, do you think other combo's would work well?

Dylan, Cascade and Amarillo go ok together also Cascade and Galaxy.

Muddy or Bill might have something to say about the subject. But watch what Bill says he's a self confessed "Hop Head".[crying] [crying]

Adam, I used some flowers (first time) just chucked them in like i do with the pellets after boiling. Well did I have a problem, the bloody flowers would not sink after 14 days in the primary and when I transferred the beer to the secondary the flowers blocked the tap, could not get the last 2 L out, bugger. Next time I use flowers I will bag em.[roll]

Weggl

Next time I use flowers I will bag em

You may want to weight them too so they don't float on top. Sanitise some marbles and add them to the bag.

Warren, you will probably have to buy some more because I'm sure you lost your marbles a long time ago [biggrin]

• 5 months later...

Hi brewers.

After the ridiculous success of Weggls delicious recipe I am going to make a slightly different variant to serve at my sister's wedding - I'm going to get some bottles and label em up good.

But, because there will be some people who are maybe not as in love with hops as me I am thinking of toning it down a smidge.

So, I was thinking of using Amarillo's instead of the Nelson Sauvin. It will be a boosted version of the Fruit Salad Ale which was nice but needed more hops IMO.

Would the same quantities apply? AA% would be a little bit less on the Amarillo but it shouldn't really apply with the times.

The other option is to say "stuff it" and use Galaxy [bandit] Still ultra hoppy, but not quite as "different" compare to the NS. This would give something similar to a LCPA I believe.

I've got pellets of both Galaxy and Amarillo and pellets, flowers and plugs of cascade (I maybe got a bit eager).

Don't tone it down Adam. Stuff em! [devil]

Don't compromise your brewing passion for some watered down version of a great beer. You put your heart & soul into your beer so it is an extension of yourself in the bottles.

Aim for greatness and make them a beer they will remember and you may have a mass conversion on your hands.

Sorry, I went to a motivational speaking course today and may have gotten carried away [innocent]

Hiya Weggl.

Your recipe looks great, hence all of the fast interest replies.

Not overly hard to make & I'll definitely look at brewing something very close to that recipe, just based on your reaction to first tasting it. [joyful]

I agree with my co-Coopers Forum comrades regarding brewing REAL beer.

Not some watered down version to appease those who swill the tasteless varieties, as I stated in another thread just recently. . .

I wrote:

We must edumakate these vile megaswillers into what REAL beer is.

Never Sacrifice Flavour!

Nice recipe Weggl, I look forward to making a close variant of it. [biggrin]

Beer.

Thanks team brew, you've given me the kick I needed. You are right. My version of this has been extremely well received by those who have tasted it - albeit they are experienced in crafty beers.

It was delicious. I used 350g DME instead of the dextrose and upped all the hops 30g of Cascade and Nelson @ 10mins, 20g of Nelson @ flame out and Dry hopped with 10g of Nelson.

Don't tone it down Adam. Stuff em! [devil]

Don't compromise your brewing passion for some watered down version of a great beer. You put your heart & soul into your beer so it is an extension of yourself in the bottles.

Aim for greatness and make them a beer they will remember and you may have a mass conversion on your hands.

Sorry, I went to a motivational speaking course today and may have gotten carried away [innocent]

Hairy,the motivational speaker wasn't the barmaid from the local i hope.

P.S Thanks Hairy for helping my mate out with his slimy thick beer.

Archived