Coopers Community

James Squire Amber Ale

Hi Ruddy.

Here is a link to a more extensive EBC chart that also gives a guide on the grain malts that effectively cover those EBC levels. >> Linky <<

Here is a download link to the well spoken about "IanH's Spreadsheet", that will help you with your brewing in more ways than I can talk about here. >> Linky <<

I hope that helps. [happy]

Anthony.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I put my AG version of this in the FV yesterday, but in response to my displeasure at my wet towel cooling method only getting my previous brew down to 23/24C during fermentation, I decided to put this one in the laundry tub full of water and use frozen drink bottles/freezer blocks to cool it down. Well I gotta say it's worked a treat, less than 24 hours later and it's down to 17/18C. I went and bought a bag of ice to throw in the water on my way home from work this morning not expecting it to be that cool already so hopefully it doesn't make it TOO cold (no room in the freezer to leave it unfortunately). [lol] However, I'm happy that I tried this method and shall be doing it on all future brews, that I do in summer at least. [joyful]

I've never actually used Tettnang, but yeah. Good to hear there's none of that annoying sweetness though. Your mention of Cascade has actually just reminded me that I was planning to dry hop this brew, but I think I might throw in some Fuggles, I need to use those ones that are in the damaged bag before opening any more... [pinched]

I might just go and do that now, good chance to try out these new tea strainer thingys I bought. [biggrin]

Dang, hope it arrives soon!

I just put two of them in my FV with about 15g of hops in each one. They immediately sank to the bottom, which I totally expected to happen. Is this a problem? In a way I like it because all the hop matter is already at the bottom and doesn't have to settle out, but will the aromas and stuff still make their way through the beer?

Hmmm, that'd probably be worth asking in the Brewing Blether, although I think I remember someone saying it wasn't an issue when we all got excited over those things.

I guess the biggest problem would be if it wound up near the tap while bottling - if the beer strained straight through it you might get some very strong flavours in the first few?

Well I do bulk prime so it will be getting transferred when I bottle next weekend. I dropped them in right in the middle so hopefully that's where they landed. [lol] I guess I'll just let it do its thing and see how it ends up on bottling day and then after a couple of weeks in the bottles.

If you were using the kit and extract spreadsheet' date=' I don't think the beer glass color thing actually works. I'd probably aim for about 25-30 EBC for an amber ale, although it really doesn't matter that much. I'll definitely be making that English 'Pale' again, except I might add a bit more bittering hops next time, it tasted a bit sweet out of the FV. Might be a bit different once carbed up though.[/quote']

I find that my brews always turn out darker (in the glass) than Ian's spreadsheet or beersmith indicate.

So, I had an actual JSAA last night ... my recipe isn't even close, HAHAHA. Still, I like what I made and I think that from this point I'll work on trying to improve what I've got rather than trying to make a clone.

"Ruddager's Amber Ale" ... has a nice ring to it I think [biggrin]

• 3 months later...

How did you guys go with these recipes?

I want to put something down this weekend. From compiling info from multiple threads I came up with the below:

JSAA Clone Attempt

Coopers Liquid Amber Malt 1.5kg x1

Coopers Liquid Light Malt 1.5kg x1

Dry Wheat Malt 500gm

Roasted Barley 30gm

Pale Choc Malt 60gm

Medium Crystal 200gm (roughly what I have left)

7 Litre boil

Willamete 40gm 50mins 6.1% AA

Willamete 20gm 30mins 6.1% AA

Willamete 20gm 15mins 6.1% AA

Cascade 20gm Dry Hopped (about all I have left)

Nottingham dry yeast

23L in FV

26 IBU

31 EBC

OG 1050

FG 1012

ABV 5.2%

I stuck with those hop additions as Willamete is 6.1%AA for 2012 harvest, I think previous harvests may have been lower AA%?

The bitterness from the choc and roasted barley are not calculated so it should be balanced...I hope. Also went with a mix of Amber and Light LME to restrain the sweetness and lighten the colour a bit.

Thoughts ?

Trying to remember back to that one (it's all gone now of course - I need more storage space!) it came out a bit darker than intended. It was ok.

Latest batch is a bit bitter, but still not spectacular. It's only very young though. This was the recipe (and etcetera):

1.5kg Coopers Amber LME

1.5kg Briess Pilsen LME (LHBS didn't have Coopers in stock)

0.5kg Light DME

250g Caramunich

25g Choc malt

25g Nelson @40

10g Cascade @25

15g Cascade @15

15g Cascade @5

10g Cascade Dry Hopped

US05 yeast

10L boil

23L total

OG 1.050

FG 1.013

IBU 93.4

EBC 24.0

ABV 5.3%

As I said, this one is quite young - only two weeks in the bottle. At this stage though I can't work out whether it's too sweet or too bitter. There seems to be some kind of separation between sweetness and bitterness which isn't striking a happy medium. In fact ... I think I'll start a whole thread about this why not. Check the blether imminently!

Did you mean to write 93.4 IBU because that would be insanely bitter. [lol]

Also Aaron, when I did my versions (none of which I'm particularly happy with to be honest), my Willamette pellets are 4.3% so there would be a bit of a difference there. My main problems I found were the beer was too sweet. And it wasn't a nice sweetness either. I think next time I make one I'll use one of my high alpha hops for bittering and low ones for flavour and aroma and see how it turns out.

Archived