Coopers Community

Eyrish Red

TonyW

Riteo Tony where is the report on the cider you were having last night?[rightful]

Ok Warren we have a nice 29C arvo in Melbourne so decided to sample 600ml of cider. First thoughts are its a little dry but not too dry and has subtle overtones of cinnamon and vanilla, very subtle i might add all in all a nice drink, might go sample another [bandit]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.G 1.045: Day 10 Gravity approx 1.010 ABV 4.58%

Lost 2 points in 3 days and the ABV is now sitting exactly where i wanted it. Tastes nice, a bit blander than what i like to drik and a lot less ABV than my normal 7% to 10% Ales. I will bottle it in 4 days and have a taste of the 500ml i bottled after its 1st week in the FV.

Tried the sample i took a week ago and for mine this is going to be a very nice Ale. Slightly bitter at 1st taste but has plenty of flavour. Takes me a few tastes after having been on the thick ales and stouts to adjust to water [roll]

Bottling today and we will see how it is when i sample again next week.

Heres a look at it first pour into my pint glass, excuse the reflection from the blinds.

brew004a.jpg

Its looking good Tony. It makes me want to crack one open for breakfast.

Heres a look at it first pour into my pint glass' date=' excuse the reflection from the blinds.[/quote']

Normally you get blind when the glass is empty [innocent]

Its looking good Tony. It makes me want to crack one open for breakfast.

Heres a look at it first pour into my pint glass' date=' excuse the reflection from the blinds.[/quote']

Normally you get blind when the glass is empty [innocent]

Only had the one and then a bottle of my Chimay Bleau clone [love] I had 3 bottle of CB clone the other night and it was pull down the blind i am going to bed [pinched]

This beer after priming comes in at a little over 5%.

Tonight one week after bottling i am trying a few and the taste is quite nice, although a little bitter, remembering i used an English bitter kit i guess you have to expect this.

The head is good and the colour? a little more dark amber than red but if i wanted to push it i guess it has some red hues to it.

There is no overpowering hop aroma or taste, you get a slight sweetness from the Golden Syrup, but its still a nice Ale for one so young. The taste and aroma is more malt but has the subtle overtones of the hops and Golden Syrup which is pretty much what i was after. It has taken the edge of the bitter side but to my taste this is still a bitter.

34C here right now and its a great thirst quencher for a hot Friday arvo, morish to say the least.

Give me a few hours and i will be off my face and loving the stuff

[biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...
Tony, what if you chucked in say 200g lactose to compensate for the bitter bit?

Warren

Warren i am actually enjoying the slight bitter character of the brew, its actually a very nice drop and improving. I think if i did this one again i might try a Pale Ale Kit and add some maltodextrin and keep the other ingredients the same.

Turned out to be a good brew, a nice session beer.

I will do it again and just settle for it as a smooth bitter for now, and work more on the actual Irish red style with a bit more grunt to it over winter using a few different ideas.

Tony' date=' just made your Eyrish Red, because you were complaining about the bitterness I chucked in 100g Lactose for good measure. Will let you know how it turns out.[roll']

Warren

Warren ts not overly bitter as is, but the Lactose will sure help thin that out a bit and give it a bit more body.

I will do this one again without the bitter, but i will also do an experiment with the bitter kit as well as it seems like a very nice drop as is.

• 3 weeks later...

Brewed the Irish Red in the FV, took 14 days and there were still some bubbles on the top. I racked it to another FV, screw on lid with my new OZTOP pressure-retaining device. It is working well, a steady stream of minute bubbles coming out.

Don\u2019t know what the pressure is, I guess it will retain around 5 to 10 Lbs pressure, after the fermenting is completed. I added 75g of Dex to the secondary so as to produce enough CO2 to expel the air from the FV. Will leave it for 14 days before I bottle.

Will let yaall know how it goes.

Had to make the slot on the Oztop a little larger so as not to get too much pressure.

workingha.jpg

Did not show the final pressure top, so have placed it here.

The OZTOP has a bottle top with a 1/4\u201d hole glued on top of the OZTOP. The bottle top is filled with Sanitizer water mixture, so the air coming out can be observed.

When the fermenting stops the OZTOP closes retaining the CO2 and some pressure.

Might patent it.[roll]

topfinished.jpg

Archived