Coopers Community

Eyrish Red

TonyW

Decided to make an Irish Red style Beer next up with bits and pieces i have already stocked in the house, and we will see how this turns out

1.7kg Can English Bitter

500g Light DME

500g Golden Syrup

300g Dextrose (because i have 300g left over)

Hopped into the FV with

30grams Fuggles

15Grams Goldings

made up to 23litres

means not spending anything on homebrew supplies next week [biggrin]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good Tony. I love the English Bitter kit[love]

means not spending anything on homebrew supplies next week

Perhaps you could call it a Scottish Red for being such a tight arse.

I'm part Scottish so does that mean I can get away with that stereotype [innocent]

I tried to do the same as you and I planned my next two brews on the ingredients I already have. But I couldn't help myself and just ordered some Simcoe and Citra hops.

Perhaps Scots aren't so tight after all.

Looks good Tony. I love the English Bitter kit[love]

means not spending anything on homebrew supplies next week

Perhaps you could call it a Scotish Red for being such a tight arse.

I'm part Scotish so does that mean I can get away with that stereotype [innocent]

I tried to do the same as you and I planned my next two brews on the ingredients I already have. But I couldn't help myself and just ordered some Simcoe and Citra hops.

Perhaps Scots aren't so tight after all.

I am of Welsh stock, dont know what that means [alien]

I have quite a big list here for the next 2 brews, well over $100 so i thought i would clean up what i have. The Chimay i have in the FV wasnt cheap and i will throw a St Peters Ruby Red kit in soon as well. Just bought a temp controller for the fridge so that will be running next brew and i think i will sneak off to Bunnings and grab a 25litre FV and do my smaller 15 to 20litre ones in that and do the 20+ in the Coopers one.

[innocent]

• 2 weeks later...

Put this one down today

as per recipe, added the hops to the FV 30g Fuggles 15g Golding but i went to 23litres volume as i have enough kidney punching beers bottled, so i thought this would be more a session brew with alot of flavour and some richness. Pitched the yeast at 23.8C: OG 1.045 hoping to get it down to about 1.008 so 4.5 to 5% ABV

eyrish2.jpg

Looks black but pours amber/red.

Made this one last Jan, was not a bad drop, but I think E/Bitter would have been better.

Think I have one bottle left must find it and see how it taste after 7 months.

The Pet "Weggl"

1 CAN COOPERS DRAUGHT

1 KG BE1

300G GOLDEN SYRUP

100 DEX

23 LITRES

Its lightening up a bit today and has a big Krausen, the smell is all hops at the moment but its only 24hours.

I was thinking of trying this recipe again down the track a bit but using the Draught as you have done, i will wait and see how it tastes with the English Bitter.

Found that bottle of Irish Red, had it tonight, bloody beautiful! should be its 10 months old. Poured it to the last drop completely clear all the way.

Could maybe have been just a fraction more bitter.[love] [love]

Maybe a little Fuggles with a long boil?

Found that bottle of Irish Red, had it tonight, bloody beautiful! should be its 10 months old. Poured it to the last drop completely clear all the way.

Could maybe have been just a fraction more bitter.[love] [love]

Maybe a little Fuggles with a long boil?

I used the english bitter kit so i am hoping that it counters the sweetness. I just hopped the primary with 30g of fuggles and 15g of Golding, originally i could smell hops hops hops, now it has settled it smells like i need to drink it now [love]

I was going to boil the fuggles for 35minutes but went the other way.

I don't think it needed a 35 minute boil.

It looks good just as it is. Let us know how it turns out. I am planning on making a red ale in the not too distant future and I am looking at bastardising some recipes.

I should have made that assumption, too.

So, actually an Australian Ale in the style of an Irish Red...

As i posted originally "Decided to make an Irish Red style Beer next up" And i used an English Bitter so that would make it an English Irish Aussie Red Ale bitter experiment [rightful] There is some dispute as to whether Irish Red Ale is a genuine style or the same as English keg Bitter, so i have it covered hopefully.

Its just a Red Ale experiment recipe with some bits and pieces i had left over sitting around and a little bit of fore thought as to how the recipe might taste.

I don't think it needed a 35 minute boil.

It looks good just as it is. Let us know how it turns out. I am planning on making a red ale in the not too distant future and I am looking at bastardising some recipes.

Thats why i didnt do the boil i thought the hops would be good to just as they were, i didnt think i needed anymore bittering.

It will all come out in the wash, but right now it smells real good [love]

...English Irish Aussie Red Ale bitter experiment [rightful] There is some dispute as to whether Irish Red Ale is a genuine style or the same as English keg Bitter...

Its just a Red Ale experiment recipe with some bits and pieces i had left over sitting around and a little bit of fore thought as to how the recipe might taste.

...And I was having a bit of fun[bandit]

Thinking you could name your English Irish Aussie Red Ale Bitter, Ned Kelly Ale.

If the BJCP list it as a style, I accept it is a style

Irish Red: BJCP Style Guidlines

but I would argue it is no English Cask Ale

...English Irish Aussie Red Ale bitter experiment [rightful] There is some dispute as to whether Irish Red Ale is a genuine style or the same as English keg Bitter...

...And I was having a bit of fun[bandit]

Thinking you could name your English Irish Aussie Red Ale Bitter, Ned Kelly Ale.

If the BJCP list it as a style, I accept it is a style

Irish Red: BJCP Style Guidlines

but I would argue it is no English Cask Ale

I was referring to the original beer style going way back rather than the modern styles which have continual criteria changes to keep up with the different brewing techniques for different beers and styles.

The original Irish red is said to derive from the original Real Ale or English keg Bitter way before artificial carbonation was introduced. I wasnt there at the time so i can only go on what my studies produce [pinched]

Anyway as long as i enjoy it i will call it anything i want [biggrin]hence the name "Eyrish Red" or maybe Ned Kelly Bushranger Eyrish Red? hmmm bit much for a label i think [lol]

Beamish Red' date=' that I had a few of at Scruffy Murphies in Sydney was a good drop.[love'] [love]

Warren

I have a nice Beamish Pint glass that i got with a nice pint of Beamish. I am a big fan of Irish beer [love]

Found this one.[love] But there is no volume.[pinched]

What do ya reckon the dried malt additive is? Maybe LDME?

BEAMISH IRISH RED

3Kg Coopers amber malt extract

200g dark dried malt

250g dried malt additive

40g Fuggles hops (bittering)

30g Willamette hops (flavouring)

1tsp Irish moss

Wyeast1084 (Irish Ale)

Mix the two malts with your hot water in a boiler. Bring to the boil and add the bittering hops and boil for one hour. Add the aroma hops and Irish moss and boil for a further 15 mins. Cool the wort as close to 18\xbaC as possible. Ferment as per normal. When finished, rack and let stand for a further two weeks at least. Rack again, bulk prime with light dried malt and bottle, leaving for at least three months before sampling.

RiteO' date=' Lets come up with some good Irish Brews! [love'] [love]

Weggl

My next stout will be a dry Irish style [love]

thats after i do my St Peters Ruby Red, up next. Strong Scottish kilt lifter, a mexican style with using lime zest and an IPA [love] but in what order i dont know [bandit]

Riteo Tony where is the report on the cider you were having last night?[rightful]

Drank stout and the Chimey experiment with a neighbour instead. Must say that the Chimay style is a very nice beer even when green and the stout is better by the week but wont last many more.

O.G 1.045: Day 7 Gravity approx 1.012 ABV 4.33%: Bottled 500ml and will leave the yeast clean up for another week. The ABV is about what i was aiming for, it will probably gain a little more over the next week. I was aiming for 4.5%-5% ABV so i will have achieved this. The taste is mild, tasty but not over powering, should be a good session beer.

Archived