Coopers Community

NRL and Super League Grand Finals

PME

So, the Rugby League Grand Finals are this weekend. It's hard to find anyone else around here that's even aware of this, let alone excited about it. Heck, I have to pay an extra 20 bucks a month just to get the channel to watch it on.

So, how big is it over there?

It is big in two States of Australia; New South Wales and Queensland. And there is a friendly rivalry between the two States with a State of Origin series each year. Queensland tend to take this more seriously and personally though [wink]

Grand final week is great, especially if a team from your area is in it. The old grand finals get replayed on TV and there are footy documentaries.

Last night I watched "When Penrith Roared"; a story on the Panthers winning their first grand final in 1991. Although they are not my team (I have a soft spot for them though) it was exciting being in the area during that period.

English Super League doesn't rate over here though.

Paul, is there an NRL team that you support?

Not yet. Can't decide how to choose one. I'm a Collingwood fan for the AFL, but I'm not sure that necessarily translates in to being a Storm fan in the NRL.

I'll probably go with the old tried and true method.... become a fan of the worst team this year. That way you're not a bandwagon jumper and there's no where for your team to go but up.

Not Parramatta [surprised

No one chooses to follow Parramatta. You would be better off putting all the names in a hat and then drawing one out. And then pray that you draw out Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs [wink]

..."When Penrith Roared"

Wasn't that when they opened the leagues club? [biggrin]

Hang on! Was it...

When the rugby league side finally pulled a larger crowd attendance than what they average at the Penrith trots held every Wednesday night? [biggrin]

NO wait! I remember now. It was when they first screened Disney's animated feature "The Lion King" at the Penrith Westfield cinemas! [biggrin]

[lol] [lol]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi PaulE10.

So' date=' the Rugby League Grand Finals are this weekend. It's hard to find anyone else around here that's even aware of this, let alone excited about it. Heck, I have to pay an extra 20 bucks a month just to get the channel to watch it on.[/quote']

I have a better use for your $20.

Use it to buy a 6 pack of Coopers Pale Ale. On top of getting a great beer to drink, you get a commercial grade FREE yeast to harvest from the bottles, & approx. $3 change to boot! [biggrin]

To me, it's not even a choice to make. [innocent]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi PaulE10.

So' date=' the Rugby League Grand Finals are this weekend. It's hard to find anyone else around here that's even aware of this, let alone excited about it. Heck, I have to pay an extra 20 bucks a month just to get the channel to watch it on.[/quote']

I have a better use for your $20.

Use it to buy a 6 pack of Coopers Pale Ale. On top of getting a great beer to drink, you get a commercial grade FREE yeast to harvest from the bottles, & approx. $3 change to boot! [biggrin]

To me, it's not even a choice to make. [innocent]

Cheers,

Anthony.

That's a great idea! One problem..... The only Coopers products sold in Canada are the cans of extract.

Queensland tend to take this more seriously and personally though [wink]

Spoken like a mob that's just got done 8 str8 Hairy [wink] [whistling [biggrin]

Not sure if i'll be watching the GF sunday night, the only team i dilike more that those two are the Bullies[devil]

That's a great idea! One problem..... The only Coopers products sold in Canada are the cans of extract.

Sorry to hear that PaulE10! [sad]

I probably shouldn't say this around here since this is AFL and Coopers territory.

But I think that Rugby League is better than Coopers Pale Ale. Your $20 a month is well spent [cool]

Yeah but with my way, you get $3 you can use to bet on the Penrith Trots! [lol]

Anthony.

Thanks PB2... I've contacted these people to see where the Coopers in Canada are.

As for the grand finals..... I've seen the highlights from the NRL GF. Looked like one hell of a match! I couldn't stay awake until 3 in the morning to watch it, and I forgot to set the recording, so I'll live with the highlights. The Roosters played amazingly! I don't think I could become a Roosters supporter though.... something about those jerseys/colours....

The Super League GF was over before it was even scheduled to air here in Canada. Damn ''sports channels''. I haven't even seen the highlights yet. I'm a Leeds supporter there, simply because the guy at work that pointed me in the rugby league direction is a Leeds supporter, and now he's living out his last few days with terminal cancer, so I'll carry on the support in his absence.

What did you guys think? Anybody watch it?

The NRL GF was a good game; one of the better ones in recent years. I lived in the Manly area for a few years so I was hoping they would get up plus I am not a Roosters fan.

Manly had a few tough calls against them but that happens in all games. They just appeared to run out of puff towards the end of the match.

Archived