Coopers Community

To much priming sugar.

Bruce

Hi I guess I put to much Priming Sugar to in to my bottles of Ginger beer. It has been 3 months almost and I opened one this aftenoon and it shot beer a meter high in the air and went on gushing until it was half empty.

I used 450 ml glass bottles and put 1 and 1/2 carbonation drop in to it. When I open one bottle after three weeks after bottling it was ok.

What I\xb4m worried about now is that I used them same ammount of carbonation drops in my Stout wich I but on bottles 2 weeks ago, I opend a bottle today and it was ok. I\xb4m worried that after some weeks I will have a gusher everytime I open a bottle.

What I was thinking was to open evry bottle to let out the CO2 and close them again, you think that would let out the extra CO2.

Bruce,

Is it possible that you accidentally double-primed a couple of bottles?

Provided the bottles were somewhere warm after you bottled to allow secondary fermentation, it's a bit odd that it was OK after three weeks but not OK now.

• 7 years later...
Odd size bottles are a good reason to bulk prime.

Chill the bottles, crack the seal and immediately reseal - if you can.

GOOD LUCK!!

I am trying to bulk prime a batch of Ginger Beer.

I have dissolved the sugar in 100ml of hot water.

Do I add it hot or wait for it to cool.

I don't want to over heat the yeast, but also don't want to add a lump of toffee to the FV?

Yep, You guessed it. a Noob question [innocent]

I am trying to bulk prime a batch of Ginger Beer.

I have dissolved the sugar in 100ml of hot water.

Do I add it hot or wait for it to cool.

I don't want to over heat the yeast, but also don't want to add a lump of toffee to the FV?

Yep, You guessed it. a Noob question [innocent]

3 questions you need to ask,

how many volumes do you want? (fizzy)

How much residual gas does it hold already..

what is the volume?

here is a Bulk Priming Calculator, the method that was hinte at (in 2004!! well done on the searching to find info and not just posting!!)

Essentially, plug in the highest ferment temp

plug in the desired volumes (GB probably 3 volumes????)

plug in the type of sugars..

to answer you question directly.. let the liquid cool, it'll be fine. For 23lt of beer I use 125g dextrose to achieve about 2 volumes.

Sorry, there is more to it than yes or no and just giving a blind number [roll] It's easy though and well worth understanding.

Cheers and good luck.

Yob

Thanks Yob.

next time I will use all bottles the same size to avoid this problem.

I did a batch of the Alcoholic Ginger Beer into brand new PET beer bottles yesterday with the carbonation drops.

First ever batch of anything with a kit. Only ever made Ginger Beer with a plant before back in the 70's.[roll]

New fangled stuff. Decided to give it a try [happy]

Wanted some Non Alcoholic for the Grandkids at Christmas and decided to use an assortment PET bottles around the house. Bad move.

It is a 20L batch so I used the handful of carbonation drops I had left over from last night and made it up to 160g with raw sugar. Dissolved in 100ml water. Eventually had to boil it on the stove to dissolve LOL.

Cooled and just as it was threatening to solidify I poured it in and stirred like crazy.

Now bottled and fingers, toes and eyes crossed.

Had a sample. Tastes a bit like cardboard[alien]

Hope it gets better with a bit of fizz and chilled for Xmas.

Bruce:

I used to use one and a half drops per 500ml bottle and it was fine apart from a couple of brews where i had dry hopped late.

If you stick them in the freezer til they're ice cold you might be able to open the rest without them foaming up on you.

Ginger beer's nicer ice cold anyway :D

Rosie:

sounds like it will be fine :)

Rosie - Give the GB time to carbonate, it should be good to go by Christmas. It seems a bit quick to have it in the bottle though, It seems like only a week ago that you were having troubles with the yeast firing (I could be confused though).

Usually for me GB takes at least 3 weeks in the fermentor before it is ready for bottling.

Rosie - Give the GB time to carbonate, it should be good to go by Christmas. It seems a bit quick to have it in the bottle though, It seems like only a week ago that you were having troubles with the yeast firing (I could be confused though).

Usually for me GB takes at least 3 weeks in the fermentor before it is ready for bottling.

thanks Muddy. the first batch 'alcoholic' had been brewing for 15 days. Started on 11th. Nothing happening (or was I just fooled because the airlock wasn't bubbling?) I fiddled with the airlock and shook it a bit on 15th and it went gangbusters until 23rd when it stopped. (fiddling and moving it didn't change anything this time [lol] )

3 days i checked the SG and it was AT 998 each time. Thats when i took the readings 23rd, 24th 25th.

It is warm here (Sunshine Coast)and that may have done something? to speed it up?

I have the lager batch wrapped in wet towels and an ice pack on top of the lid. Will have to look at getting something a bit better if I want to continue I think.

I hope you enjoy your GB and may it help ease the pain of having to live on the Sunshine Coast [tongue] (I dream of such pain [biggrin] )

Alcoholic ginger beer is a little side project of mine and I have been tinkering with recipes for a few years now but unfortunately I am never happy with the flavour straight out of the bottle. However a slug of lemonade always makes it better.

Wanted some Non Alcoholic for the Grandkids at Christmas

If you want to make your grandkids some fast and cheap non alcoholic ginger beer, try this: (going on memory and sparse notes)

- Grate 75-100grams of ginger (skin and all)

- Juice 1 lemon, finely grate the rind (no white bits)

- Boil ginger, juice, rinds and about 200g sugar (table sugar is fine, unrefined is better) in 1.5L water for 10 minutes (you can add some chili flakes/seeds if you want a hot 'bite')

- Strain the liquid and let it cool. dump the solids

- Put about a quarter teaspoon of yeast into a 2liter soda pop bottle (even bread yeast is fine, but the coopers dry Ale kit yeast works great)

- Squeeze about half the air out, cap it tightly and shake the crap out of it.

At this point you have a sealed FV of awesome sweet ginger wort.

Leave it somewhere warm (20-25C) and visible.

You want to leave it ferment and build pressure until the bottle is firm (about as hard as a bottle of coke that you've accidentally dropped on the ground) it will probably take about a day. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT IT OR IT COULD POP!

Then put it in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep.

Give it a day or so for the liquid to soak up the carbon dioxide and it's ready.

I used to make this on a friday to nurse sunday hangovers [biggrin]

I tried doing that search, even clicked Muddy's signature for the LMGTFY but nothing, no luck.

And I'm F**ked if i'm trawling through months of threads for it.

So it's made up from old notes.

Doesn't really matter though, as it's pretty simple.

Like the rest of brewing, it is fun and very forgiving and ingredients are just a matter of taste [biggrin]

I hope you enjoy your GB and may it help ease the pain of having to live on the Sunshine Coast [tongue] (I dream of such pain [biggrin] )

Alcoholic ginger beer is a little side project of mine and I have been tinkering with recipes for a few years now but unfortunately I am never happy with the flavour straight out of the bottle. However a slug of lemonade always makes it better.

Ahh. The Sunny Coast. Someone has to do it [tongue]. We moved from Adelaide. Love the climate.

I used to make GB with a plant etc and it was always good.[lol] Plenty of bite and really refreshing. This stuff looks much darker and has a muddy cardboard taste that I hope will lessen with age. And I was disapointed the tins all have artificial sweetener. [sick]

I have looked at a lot of recipes on here and elsewhere on the net with additions like lemon and I am interested to try it with Chilli. Chilli makes most things taste better .

Wanted some Non Alcoholic for the Grandkids at Christmas

If you want to make your grandkids some fast and cheap non alcoholic ginger beer, try this: (going on memory and sparse notes)

- Grate 75-100grams of ginger (skin and all)

- Juice 1 lemon, finely grate the rind (no white bits)

- Boil ginger, juice, rinds and about 200g sugar (table sugar is fine, unrefined is better) in 1.5L water for 10 minutes (you can add some chili flakes/seeds if you want a hot 'bite')

- Strain the liquid and let it cool. dump the solids

- Put about a quarter teaspoon of yeast into a 2liter soda pop bottle (even bread yeast is fine, but the coopers dry Ale kit yeast works great)

- Squeeze about half the air out, cap it tightly and shake the crap out of it.

At this point you have a sealed FV of awesome sweet ginger wort.

Leave it somewhere warm (20-25C) and visible.

You want to leave it ferment and build pressure until the bottle is firm (about as hard as a bottle of coke that you've accidentally dropped on the ground) it will probably take about a day. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT IT OR IT COULD POP!

Then put it in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep.

Give it a day or so for the liquid to soak up the carbon dioxide and it's ready.

I used to make this on a friday to nurse sunday hangovers [biggrin]

[lol] Sounds great. I assume this is Non-Alcoholic by the age?

I would love a recipe for Alcoholic GB using natural ingredients. No artificial #$@%.

I use Xylitol as a sweetener quite often. It is natural and doesn't ferment (found that the hard way with failed bread [pinched] )

Archived