Coopers Community

APA with Honey Underway

I've just mixed 500ml honey with some water, put it on the stove to warm up and mix - since honey is denser that water at room temp.

I'm going to slightly warm my APA mix as usual to make it easeir to remove from the can, add it to the FV with the BE2 and water, then Bob's your Aunties live in lover.

I noticed having a quick browse on the web that Obama is a home brewer, and has made a few honey beers, using honey from bees at the white house.

If that fella can make a half decent beer, then there are certainly worse people I could be emulating!

I'm so excited I've put everything else off until I've got my brew safely sitting in the FV with the yeast doing its magic!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post intrigues me.

Who posted it? Why did nobody reply?

Hercule Poirot would approve (and also Data when he's in a sherlock holmes holodeck simulation)

But yeah, the White House Honey Ale is on my to do list.

After watching the White House brewers in action with their 'fermentators' I'm sure that everyone on this forum could do it just as good if not better.

wh_beer_recipe_honey_ale_2.jpg

dont really know chad, things were getting willing early and i was out last nite. site was down this morning and when it came back up half the threads were gonski?

You know how it is, boys will be boys...we've all been barred from some bar or pub in days gone by.

Anyway, i got bottling to do, my first APA with us-05, now the mud has dropped[biggrin]

As far as honey brews go I kegged my Canadian Blonde attempt 2 weeks ago. Not sure how it will go, I used rinsed 1056 and re-pitched after no activity was seen for a couple of days (this is a 5th gen yeast). Didn't taste remarkable form the tube. I am concerned as I added the clover honey straight to the FV, choosing not to pasteurise it.

As for last night it was heated and personal when I retired at 20:30, and showing no signs of letting up. The behaviour of a new poster was aimed at vilifying a lot members here. It seemed to be a carry over from the previous night.

As far as honey brews go I kegged my Canadian Blonde attempt 2 weeks ago. Not sure how it will go, I used rinsed 1056 and re-pitched after no activity was seen for a couple of days (this is a 5th gen yeast). Didn't taste remarkable form the tube. I am concerned as I added the clover honey straight to the FV, choosing not to pasteurise it.

As for last night it was heated and personal when I retired at 20:30, and showing no signs of letting up. The behaviour of a new poster was aimed at vilifying a lot members here. It seemed to be a carry over from the previous night.

Hey Scottie, my attempt at strawberry blonde was pretty bloody good. i couldnt get clover honey up hear (you tasboglians must hog it all!) i used yellow box instead, i never did anything except disolve it in hot water then add it to the FV. cant say the honey flavour added a lot to the taste, but it was nice and smooth with a good creamy head...i put that down to the honey for some odd reason

I think it is going to be a bit quiet here for a while.

I logged on this morning & started reading the new threads. By the time I had finished reading the "firey" one, it had been deleted & a few of the blokes had their names "greyed out".

I was trying to logon a few moments ago on my ipad but it wouldn't work. I thought for a while there that I had been black listed too [unsure]

The trusty laptop logged me in so I must have slipped through the net.

It was a sort of entertaining evening last night (in a morbid kind of way) but not really enjoyable. Like looking at a car crash.

I must have slipped through the net.

It was a sort of entertaining evening last night (in a morbid kind of way) but not really enjoyable. Like looking at a car crash.

Hairy I don't hink you were ever in danger.

I think it comes down to remembering we are guests in the Coopers house as it says in the new to the guild post. But I can understand how some people responded the way they did to what was said about them. Luckily for me I guess my response was tempered and then I went to bed.

Thanks Nick

Am infection or some strange honey phenomena aside I have told SWMBO that I have kegged this one for her. Mine was heritage clover, yes the tasweigan kind, that SWMBO picked up for me.

Getting back OT, does anyone know where we can get any "definitive" advice on whether honey needs to be pasteurised when adding to a brew.

I was of the impression that honey had an anitbacterial property, as it is used in some medical treatments (burns I think).

It would be nice to know so we don't have this confusion someone has the inkling to add it to their next brew.

Nah...they'll be back sooner, all with diff username and profiles. i had a look at the AHB site earlier, boring as shite and dead as a nuns nasty. No fun for them there!!!

Everyone claimed they won the "lets spot lusty". These blokes might be a lot harder

Getting back OT' date=' does anyone know where we can get any "definitive" advice on whether honey needs to be pasteurised when adding to a brew. ...It would be nice to know so we don't have this confusion someone has the inkling to add it to their next brew.[/quote']

Hey Greg

Some honey is pasteurised, I would guess that this would be the main supermarket brands. What's got me worried is that because the way mine is branded it probably isn't. Now I thought the antibacterial properties of the honey would affect the yeast. I'm not sure where I read that, and it may well be quite untrue.

Sorry I couldn't give a definitive answer, but if you have any doubt pasteurise, it doesn't seem that complicated and shouldn't harm the honey, just takes a little more time I guess.

I had also read the "Muppets" thread...that gave it an entertaining twist [lol]

That was a failed diversion tactic[pinched]

Coopers dont mention it in the strawberry blonde recipe?

True Nick

And Coopers have not let me down yet, recipe or advice [happy]

Archived