Coopers Community

APA Toucan

Nick

Hi All, i have been experimenting with a number of different fermentables in the APA kit and i was wondering how a Tooheys dry lager can would go instead of a kilo?

Just a thought and its just because i have a can that i have no plan on using[biggrin]

Hi Nick.

Normally I wouldn't even look into the Tooheys kit. This time I did though.

The Tooheys kit does not present as something offensive or forward in any way to me that would create undesired flavours if mixed with the Coopers APA kit. I think it will certainly give you a higher ABV beer with much more flavour than the APA mixed with "a kilo".

But why go that route, when you are one third the way to making a 'Brew A'? [innocent] [biggrin]

Something I did find a little odd on the Tooheys website was the message contained under each kit tin... "WARNING: Contains malted barley."

I was like, "ERR...Hello??", & "ERR...Yeah, you do need some of that to make beer that actually tastes like beer". [w00t]

Maybe it's some new ridiculous health based message like "This product may contain peanuts", or, "Gluten free..."

Maybe a slogan not too far down the track for Tooheys will read, "WARNING: This product may contain aspects of real beer". [lol]

CC

Something I did find a little odd on the Tooheys website was the message contained under each kit tin... "WARNING: Contains malted barley."

I was like, "ERR...Hello??", & "ERR...Yeah, you do need some of that to make beer that actually tastes like beer". [w00t]

Maybe it's some new ridiculous health based message like "This product may contain peanuts", or, "Gluten free..."

Maybe a slogan not too far down the track for Tooheys will read, "WARNING: This product may contain aspects of real beer". [lol]

CC

Ahaha i had to check that out

whaaaaaa_zpsbc891813.jpg

That's funny as!

Hi Nick.

CC

I think we need to spare a thought for those fellow beer lovers out there who are unfortunate enough to be Celiacs. As such they cannot enjoy beer containing malted barley.

Beer can be made from other than barley malt. I cannot attest to whether beer made from white sorghum syrup is to our taste or not but certainly there are many celiacs who give it the seal of approval.

My personal preference is to receive too many health warnings about a products contents rather than not enough.

But still, when the ingredients are "Malted barley, water, hops and yeast (under the lid). Hop extracts may be present." the warning seems perhaps a little OTT

I agree with this. It's like putting a warning on peanut butter that it may contain peanuts. How bloody stupid can you be?

I don't think peanut butter actually contains butter. Based on that the warning is fair [biggrin]

Hi All, i have been experimenting with a number of different fermentables in the APA kit and i was wondering how a Tooheys dry lager can would go instead of a kilo?

Just a thought and its just because i have a can that i have no plan on using[biggrin]

I have a simmilar problem,2 cans of Tooheys draught that were bought by wifey as a good hearted gesture as she spotted them on sale (as always). I was toying with the idea of a toucan with an amount golden syrup added. Similar to the website recipe for Irish Ale.Any thoughts?

.I was toying with the idea of a toucan with an amount golden syrup added. Similar to the website recipe for Irish Ale.Any thoughts?

Due to my insatiable appetite for Kilkenny, the Irish Ale recipe was the driving force behind me purchasing a Coopers Fv and entering the wonderous world of homefermenting, but i can honestly say, that i was very dissapointed.

I thought that because it was only my second brew (the first was the lager kit that came with the Fv) that my inexperience was the reason, but no, i have tried it again and have been just as dissapointed. I found it bland and pissy, but maybe a toucan will fix that and also up the GS a little.

Thanks for the heads up Nick, so now I'm thinking toucan+full jar of GS+ a nice dose of fuggles for a fragrant finish.

Now your talking X, i reckon that will be a great improvement on the Irish Ale recipe. could pack a decent punch as well![biggrin]

BTW what part of SEQ are you from? We have 3 in the Sunny Coast Chapter so far.

Thanks for the heads up Nick, so now I'm thinking toucan+full jar of GS+ a nice dose of fuggles for a fragrant finish.

Now all I need is a couple of 20l buckets for this project and I'm laughing..[biggrin] [biggrin]

I'll put it down as planned and see how we go Nicko.

Well Nicko, As usual the "Plan" changed -

2x 1.7 Tooheys Draught

250g MaltoDex

250g Crystal Malt/Choc Malt

25g Fuggles (Approx)

Grain steeped for 15, strained & rolling boil.

Add all to FV 23L,add Fuggles dry in chux.

Pitched both packet yeast @26c.

Primary ferment steady @18c ( Lots of action )

I'll keep you posted....[wink]

Well Nicko, As usual the "Plan" changed -

2x 1.7 Tooheys Draught

250g MaltoDex

250g Crystal Malt/Choc Malt

25g Fuggles (Approx)

Grain steeped for 15, strained & rolling boil.

Add all to FV 23L,add Fuggles dry in chux.

Pitched both packet yeast @26c.

Primary ferment steady @18c ( Lots of action )

I'll keep you posted....[wink]

Bit concerned about this one, after a week in FV I took a SG reading 1020..didn't take an OG..Doh! Bit to high for the bottle for my liking, think I'll just let it go for another week while I'm away for work. Hoping when I come back it should have finished a bit more around the 1012 or so mark..Lovely colour & great flavour combinations, so it should be OK..!

AdamN

Archived