Coopers Community

Taking the plunge

MarkJ3

Hi All,

I've been brewing kit/kilo for nearly 10 years and brew in the laziest way I can, eg. only in the cooler (adelaide) months with a heat belt, very slack on sanitisation (and been really lucky) and no partials etc. I'm happy with my standard and content with my brews and know I can do better after reading many regular posts from the likes of Muddy, Lord Eoin, Kelsey, Philbobaggins, Wayne (YOB), OTTO, etc etc etc is brewing partial reeeeaaaly worth the extra effort. I am just too lazy (or time poor) (hate modern excuses) and like most of what I brew.

Should I take the plunge and start messing around with hops (dry hopping first) I have tried the tea bag style of hopping before and is OK and suits my lazy mantra? Down the track try partial? Need some advice from the experts on what hops go best with which styles[sideways] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure] [unsure]

I am very new to additions and have no real right to comment here, but for what its worth, grain additions have not made a lot of difference when taking account the time and extra expense involved, but hop additions have turned some very average lager kits into something quite special. Personally cascade has given my lagers a lovely dry citrus flavour and a genuine european flavour.

Kits like the APA IMHO, should be left exactly as is. Providing temp is controlled it is the perfect beer for my palatte and i cant think of any way to improve it.

Maybe invest in temp control, that will improve your beer outa sight.

You will get stacks of ideas and suggestions here for all kinds of additions, but they all will be susject to taste.

Have fun experimenting and i am sure that you will find something that suits your taste

I know Nick is talking from personal experience but I think some grains can make a difference to your brew. It all depends on the amount, the type of grain and the style of beer.

But hops definitely make a difference. Start off with a steep and/or a dry hop and then move onto some boils.

As for partials, I think there is a huge difference in my partials compared to my standard kits and extracts.

In the end it all comes down to your motivation and time. You need the time and you have to want to do it. If you don't really want to do it and are happy with your current beers then don't worry about.

The main thing is that you like what you brew.

G'day Mark.

I only did 2 or 3 partial mashes, as they were just a stepping stone for me to get to AG. They tasted great, and I daresay far better than my standard kit brews.

However, when I looked at what I was doing for the day (crushing grain, 90min mash, 90min boil, etc) it was taking the same amount of time as an AG brew, in some ways even more of a PITA because you have to add the other fermentables to the mix.

My advice is to try some hops and steeping some specialty grains with your kits instead of doing all out partials. For example, if you brew stouts or darks, try 200-300g Chocolate malt cracked and steeped. If you're wanting to beef up your APA, try 300g of caramalt or pale crystal cracked and steeped with some Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook, Citra, Motueka [love], etc, etc. Adds barely any time to brew day compared to mashing.

If you like what you're getting a few brews down the track, then talk partials.

Just my 2c. I must be a glutton for punishment, as the mash for my galaxy APA is nearly done, and I'm of to boil in 30+ heat again!

Hooray! [happy] [happy] [happy] [crying] [unsure]

EDIT: WTF? I can't say h.o.o.ray?

****ay! [happy] [happy] [happy] [crying] [unsure]

EDIT: WTF? I can't say h.o.o.ray?

Hey Phil

I have never attempted to use a vulgarity in my posts, I have often thought that people were adding the *** themselves. It now occurs to me that people may think that I am swearing in my signature and in my previously burned identity. I can fix my signature but not my burned identity [pinched] .

On topic I am planning a partial mash with 2.5kg grain, I just hope I can resist the pull of AG [innocent]

[quote=Scottie

I just hope I can resist the pull of AG [innocent]

Why?

You cant resist the dark side and you know it [lol]

To The OP. Yes totally worth it, depending on your equipment, it doesnt even reall have to be much extra time for a crystal grain steep, do it in cold water overnight, strain the grains out, boil the liquor and add the rest of the fermentables... you need a few litres of boiling liquid anyway right?

Yob

I most definately have no right to comment other than in the weeks ive been here and controlling my temps and using dex, etc...ive never been happier with my k&k......but these guys are getting to me lol.I even went and bought APA and brew enhancer2 lol

What Hops Ned? [w00t] [whistling [tongue]

either cascade, centennial, amarillo or citra lol

i promise ya yob.

hospital tomorrow then on way home a veer into the homebrew shop lol

while on that LDME...is that extract?

Why?

You cant resist the dark side and you know it [lol]

The pull of the Dark side is great, there is a disturbance in the kits and bits force. I've been researching and was thinking of a BAIB partial but have decided on a mini oven mash and the a lauter made from two buckets for the sparge. Have already lined up 3 50l Kegs.

I need to get another kit down [devil]

Mate' date=' you are gone, just cant see it yet [lol']

[pinched] When I asked a kit and kilo mate at work for 3 of his unwanted kegs he said "I new you were going to get into that".

I just hope that partials, extracts and the odd kit can keep me entertained for the next 15 months [wink] .

Mate' date=' you are gone, just cant see it yet [lol']

[pinched] When I asked a kit and kilo mate at work for 3 of his unwanted kegs he said "I new you were going to get into that".

I just hope that partials, extracts and the odd kit can keep me entertained for the next 15 months [wink] .

hahaha ive learnt one thing if nothing on this site..I will NEVER say NEVER again lol

Archived