Coopers Community

Palm sugar

GrahamB8

I bought some palm sugar the other day for a chicken dish someone at work gave me the recipe for.

I openned the packet and had a taste and I can see a huge potential for brewing, the flavour is quite amazing.

Have any of you crazy experimentalists used it and in what quantites??

the rise in popularity of palm sugar has resulted in the destruction of thousands of sq k's of forests in se asia and is threatening the habitats of many already endangered animals. it has been even more destructive than harvesting rainforest timber in indonesia. leave the palm sugar to the occasional Thai takeaway, there are many other fermentble sugars that dont come at such a cost.

the rise in popularity of palm sugar has resulted in the destruction of thousands of sq k's of forests in se asia and is threatening the habitats of many already endangered animals. it has been even more destructive than harvesting rainforest timber in indonesia. leave the palm sugar to the occasional Thai takeaway' date=' there are many other fermentble sugars that dont come at such a cost. [/quote']

I think you're thinking of Palm Oil.

I must admit Nick I didnt realise this so started to do a little research and my results thus far are showing palm sugar farming to be ecologically friendly

Palm sugar is 'tapped' from the flower of a different tree to palm oil, they dont actually cut the tree down to do this.

These countries actually plant more trees to extract this sugar which is proving to be benificial to the wildlife.

Im still not 100% convinced and will continue reading, thanks for the heads up mate

As far as I understand it, the problem with Palm Oil is they're chopping down the rainforests to plant the trees they get the palm oil from - which is not a native tree in those parts. And the defenceless Orangutan's get their homes destroyed [pinched]

But, onto beer related topics...

Tiger beer does taste like strong Cat's p!ss - so there ya go [lol]

So' date=' not only is palm oil bad for your health, it's bad for the environment/animals as well. I've already been avoiding it as much as possible for health reasons but now I have added reason. [pinched']

Yeah, and a lot of "dodgy" companies will list as "Vegetable oil" in the ingredients so you don't know whether it's palm oil, canola oil, olive oil etc.

But palm oil is very important. If you don't oil your palm you can get quite chaffed [innocent]

You have all this material wrote down dont you?? [biggrin]

I work for an international engineering consultancy and since I can find no conclusive evidence that forestry isnt been cut down to accomodate the growing of Palm sugar producing trees I have put the question to one of our enviromental consultants.

Should Palm suger prove to be friendly to the environment I was thinking of substituting candi sugar with it in a Dubbel!

Archived