Coopers Community

For the AG'ers Double Decoction Brewing

I use a drill too, but it's hands free baby, click on and walk away till it's done, I got sick real quick of battery drills and having to stand there the whole time.. now I can be off doing other things.

[whistling [w00t]

I see..? I find the 20-60 seconds it takes to grind the grains for a batch kinda' cool! My 4 year old son thinks it's totally cool when Dad uses the hand drill(battery included[roll]) to empty the hopper.

I heard tell you were expecting a little one, Yob? If you think you're too busy to watch the grain go down the hopper now just wait a couple of months[wink].

@Yob what did you reckon about the mash methods? actually boiling the grain and it doesn't leave tannins which is interesting as on further reading its got to do with the water ph.

Ive been a part of brews that have done decoctions but never actually done it myself... I generally dont brew beers of that style so havnt had the need.

Water chemistry is a tricky beast, Ive just taken to using acidulated malt in my brews and Ive got to say had a PH of 5.2 on my last brew which I was well chuffed about.

I find the 20-60 seconds it takes to grind the grains for a batch kinda' cool!

Yeah for small amounts I agree, standing there for 6kg is not so much fun.

I heard tell you were expecting a little one, Yob? If you think you're too busy to watch the grain go down the hopper now just wait a couple of months[wink].

Wont I be in more need of time saving devices/methods? [cool]

Interesting I have been doing a lot of reading on water chemistry lately in readiness for AG next year some time. Quite interesting once i get the hang of AG I will be trying a decoction brew and see what it is like. I like what Michael states about having more connection with the brew I am like that always finding more ways to be more involved with each brew [rightful]

Yeah for small amounts I agree' date=' standing there for 6kg is not so much fun.[/quote']

Better than the hand crank I guess.

Wont I be in more need of time saving devices/methods? [cool]

I think it might be better to take a step back, think about what's important and go from there.[sideways]

I think it might be better to take a step back, think about what's important and go from there.[sideways]

Step Back??? Sir, I think you jest...

Im making preps to have 8 kegs full and 7-8 cubes full by the time the little one pops in April.. If I dont have the time to brew I should be able to manage time to ferment at least and with a store of beer such as Im aiming for it'll keep me going for some time.

[w00t] [whistling [roll] [innocent]

I appreciate the sentiment lads.. [wink]

I feel things 'may' be getting out of hand a little.. I now have 3 fridges in the brewery and recently aquired a 700lt deep freezer for storage of all things hops.. (in the cellar)... 7 frikkin hundred frikkin L !!! It was so cheap I just couldnt resist [lol]

maybe I'll turn it into my keezer one day with 15 taps on it [lol]

Step Back??? Sir, I think you jest...

Im making preps to have 8 kegs full and 7-8 cubes full by the time the little one pops in April.. If I dont have the time to brew I should be able to manage time to ferment at least and with a store of beer such as Im aiming for it'll keep me going for some time.

Atta Boy, Mate! Brew 'em up good and strong! You'll need it at the end of the day.[biggrin]

In celebration of Yob's impending little one I will purchase a symbolic 1 tonne of mixed hops which I will lovingly portion into shrink sealed packaging and I'll buy no less than 3 extra brewing fridges. I shall also make a stand for my drill [innocent] .

Nice one, Muddy![biggrin]

I must admit to having a chuckle at muddy's comments too [cool]

appropriate [lol]

to answer your question, WCY..

feck yeah I have, Im fermenting Boom Baby ATM and have already brewed the Birth Beer.. a 7.5% IIPA that is without a doubt the most dangerous beer I have ever brewed... it had, let me think... a metric feck load of hops in the boil and was tripple dry hopped during ferment.. the trub got dangerously close to the tap so I racked it off to a secondary to CC and decided to Dry Hop it there too..

expensive? Yes

Delicious... you better believe it [lol]

Im giving a bottle to each of my close friends so we can all share the same beer when the little one pops..

reminds me to put a few more in the post to a few people... [bandit]

Yob

When are you going to go commercial Yob?[biggrin]

Never mate, I never want to turn what is the greatest hobby I've ever found into a job [lol]

Finding another related avenue is not out of the question but selling beer? nope, don't wanna. I love it too much to destroy it.

Yob

Im making preps to have 8 kegs full and 7-8 cubes full by the time the little one pops in April

if a little yob is anything like my sprogs were, i dont think 8 kegs will be enough

Archived