Coopers Community

Growing Hops 2012

Thought Id kick this off for this growing season, a few of you that were around may remember I started growing Hops last year. well I have been fortunate enough to be able to expand a little

hops2012.jpg

This photo is actually a bit old and I need to take some freshies but pitured are..

Cascade, 3 x Chinook, 1 x EKG, 2 x Victoria and I also have elsewhere on the property..

1 x Fuggles, 1 x Canterbury Goldings (from a 100 year old plant) 1 x Tettnanger, 1 x Pride of Ringwood... er I think thats it..

however, we have had the tradies about and they have all but destroyed my fuggles, POR and Tett [crying]

I do however have a new roof, lights and 40 amps of safe wiring throughout the brewery... oh and I new brewstand I built asa well on the weekend [lol]

rigfw.jpg

More photos of the Hops to come

[lol] [bandit] [innocent]

Way to go Yob. How big is your property???

My first year Chinook has gone monkey poo and has cleared the 4m treils I put together for it.

I'll post a pic when I'm using something a little more useful than a stinkin' iPad. [pinched]

I spent the afternoon tying yarn for scarlet runners, but they're only beans [sad].

Way to go Yob. How big is your property??? [pinched]

not that big really, 670 sq/m or close to, tis a reasonble size but Ive tried to be clever with the space available.. this is a shot from the top of the brewery

hopyardfrombreweryaa.jpg

old photo now though..

we try our best [bandit]

Looking good Yob!

Is Canterbury Golding much different to East Kent Golding? I like EKG; it's a great hop.

buggered if I know mate but will be fun to find out over the coming months/years

[w00t]

*ed it comes from a 'wild' 100 year old mother plant so really keen to find out and it's great I have the EKG to do a direct comparison.

[wink]

Slightly OT.

Yob, mate do you use whole flowers regularly in your boil?

I did for the first time last week and had a prick of a time siphoning the wort into a cube. I'm installing a pickup pointing straight into the side wall this weekend, but wondered if that would be the end of my woes with flowers and plugs?

Can't afford a BB hopscreen (although that's the dream) so just wondering how you go using combinations of pellets/flowers/plugs?

BTW - I won't forget about my Chinook pics, promise. [rightful]

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, that shot was taken for Leonard (a forum user from the USA). Haven't seen him on here for a while??

As I recall, Muddy posted the image of the badge. So I ran with printing a heap and handing them out to staff members to wear for the day [biggrin]

I think Leonard appreciated it...

Yes Lusty' date=' I was indentured in blue [whistling [/quote']

I has a few inside men at Coopers that can feed me all sorts of intell. [tongue]

The reason I brought up the RAAF connection was that I have a mate who was in the service for a period of time, & also another mate who was a "grunt" in the army around the same time. As you can imagine, they used to sling off at one another quite a bit.

I do remember one of the few things that they ever agreed on while being in their respective services was that RAAFees were "High & Tight", & Grunts were "Low & Tight"! [lol] [tongue]

You certainly fitted the "High & Tight" description. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Mine are going fairly well, girlfriend surprised me with rhizomes of cascade, hersbrucker and pride of ringwood. So far the dogs have attacked cascade and hersbrucker with cascade being the only one starting to regenerate. Plenty of PoR though! Wet hop aussie lagers it is! Here's some pics

20121219062803.jpg

PoR going strong

20121219062820.jpg

Just attached to some pre existing steel

20121219062905.jpg

Will these be the usable part?

Archived