Coopers Community

Cleaning the grain bag ...

King Ruddager

I have a big nylon grain bag like Kelsey and usually just hose it, paying particular attention to the seams.

And occasionally after hosing I will toss it in the washing machine.

Some of the smaller grain bags are a bit flimsy. The small bag I had for steeping grains was just rinsed under the tap. If you are having trouble cleaning it then you could try soaking it in nappisan overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure there's no harm in doing that, but as you say, the remaining liquid is being boiled anyway so it probably isn't necessary. It's for that reason that I don't sanitise my grain bag or hop sock when I make a batch, I just give them a clean off and dry on the clothes line for use next time. I do check them for bits of crap and rinse off before use if necessary as well.

I use a similar style of bag as well for steeping grains. To clean it I just do as Hairy and Otto have said, making sure to remove all of the husk etc. I usually turn it inside out a couple of times under the tap as well to make sure everything is gone. I figure there is less chance of any nasties get into it between uses.

I always wash my sack thoroughly.

Keeping your sack clean is very important .

SWMBO mentioned that if i don't give my sack a good scrubbing, it adds some undesirable lingering flavors[innocent]

a reliable source of yeast though[biggrin]

I wouldn't be too concerned about yeast on the grain bag, but defininitley for a hop bag, especially if you weigh them down with something like glass balls (aka marbles, glassy allys)

I'm not sure if there's any real benefit to that, however some people like to get their sack right into the action and using gravity and the balls is a good tactic.

The problem is that your sack ends up spending a lot of time near the bottom, and this kind of exposure can lead to a pretty heavy concentration of yeast.

Obviously, your balls should be sterile to avoid passing unwanted infections. (which can gestate for up to 40 weeks, and then ruin your brewing and drinking experience for 18 years or more).

if i don't give my sack a good scrubbing' date=' it adds some undesirable lingering flavors[innocent']

fair enough Eoin, but it goes both ways, too much unwanted yeast can also detract from a desirable mouth feel[innocent]

if i don't give my sack a good scrubbing' date=' it adds some undesirable lingering flavors[innocent']

fair enough Eoin, but it goes both ways, too much unwanted yeast can also detract from a desirable mouth feel[innocent]

I totally agree. And head retention can be a bit lacking too. There's nothing worse than a fading head.

When you think you're getting some good head, but you just can't keep it up the whole way through![crying]

Archived