Coopers Community

hard labour

MichaelD16

hi all, a friend has been good enough to save me all his longnecks over the past 12 months theres about 400 good coopers crown seal bottles which is just great. only problem is he's lazy and hasn't rinsed any of them[annoyed] so as you can imagine there is some pretty stubborn mould now growing on the bottom, whats the easiest way to remove this crap otherwise it will take me another 12 months just in hard scrubbing[crying] any ideas appreciated.

firstly I would come up with a plan, I wouldnt sit and do all 400 in 1 go, do them in batches of 30.

squirt of bleach in each bottle and top up with water then leave to soak, tip half out and shake the eff out of each bottle with your hand over the top and empty, that should remove the majority.

squirt a little bleach in each bottle and half fill with water, go at it with a bottle brush, rinse well and drain.

Labour intensive I know but those bottle are full of nasties, keep them away from your other bottles until there clean.

Nice score by the way!

as Graham says, there isnt really a short cut. i just done the same with 3 cartons of corona and a s**t of a job it was. bite size pieces makes any big job easier and 30 at a time will be enough to keep up with your brewing

Hi Michael.

I concur with both of the previous posters. There is no shortcut really to this. Plenty of elbow grease with a bottle brush is the only way! [rightful]

I've had to do this before with a large batch too. Like Graham said, do them in batches that suit whatever you can put up with in one hit at a time.

Also like Graham said, soak them in hot water. I use the smallest amount of dish-washing detergent, not bleach or sanitising agent, as I am trying to clean heavy muck off them, not sanitise them at this point. Don't use a lot of detergent as everything will become very foamy if you do. Give each bottle a quick rinse after dislodging the solid muck from them.

Get em clean first, & worry about sanitising them just before you are ready to use them for bottling your brews.

Beer.

if you put a couple of inches of water in the bottom and give them a few days of soaking, that crusty crap lifts off without any effort. Then all you do is clean them in the usual way with a bot brush and sanitise before bottling. most of us would like your "problem"[roll]

I'd be buying a cheap plastic garbage bin or somwething and put as many bottles as I could in it to soak in nappy wash (Coles Sensitive Nappy Wash is best IMO) or bleach leave them for at least a few days on this occasion. By that time the crud should have lifted and the label will have come off so you can just wipe off the excess label glue and give the bottles a rinse.

You will need to put in the hard yakka once only as it will be much easier next time once the bottles have been returned for their former glory.

I use the smallest amount of dish-washing detergent' date=' not bleach or sanitising agent,[/quote']

You shouldnt be putting detergent anywhere near your bottles.

Sodium Percarbonate, pure if you can get it, nappisan if you cant (it's active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate) and as Muddy suggested, big garbo and soak for a week, bottle brush, rinse, gladwrap over the tops of the bottles until you need to use them then hit with a N.R.S.

Yob

It's okay the nappies have been endorsed by the Emperor.

I don't believe you. Secretly, I think it was

that gave the nod on the nappy thing. [wink]

Funny though how my bottles ended up clean & with no residual negative effects. [innocent]

Beer.

Funny though how my bottles ended up clean & with no residual negative effects. [innocent]

Beer.

Each to their own and all that but it'll come back and bite you in the bum in the end [innocent] ...[rightful]

Yep agreed, bad informed comments like that can lead beginners to bad practice. [pinched]

Back OT... easy to clean the bottles.... rinse all the bottles then get a large drum and fill with warm-hot water. Add 2-3 caps of napisan (pending how big drum is) and soak bottles for >24 hours. Rinse bottles and they should be about right.

Napisan/Sodium Percarb makes cleaning easy.

I used to do this in my bathtub.

I filled the bath to just over the bottles height and made a strong solution of sanitizer, then stand as many bottles as possible in the tub.

After a few days, drain it all, fill with hot water and start taking them out and shaking the crap out of them half full with my finger in the top.

I prefer to do as many as possible in one go.

Added bonus, all of the labels slide off and the hot water makes the glue easy to scrub off. [biggrin]

Also, I agree with not using detergent (or anything that makes bubbles) it might make the bottles sparkly clean, but I think it is harder to get detergent off a bottle than the dirt it was tackling...

thanks for all the replies looks like theres no way of getting out of the hard work, i seem to remember hearing about something like a bottling wand that you put on ya tap and blasts water into the bottom of your bottles, anyone else heard of this?

I have been fortunate one of my mates has been saving his VB long necks for me he has rinsed them good however i gave them an additional clean in sodium perc just to make sure they are sparkling clean How ever I had another mate save me some of his coopers stubbies wasn't mould but was a heap of dried up yeast sediment soaked them overnight in the bath tub again with sodium perc they cleaned easy with the bottle brush the next day.

thanks for all the replies looks like theres no way of getting out of the hard work' date=' i seem to remember hearing about something like a bottling wand that you put on ya tap and blasts water into the bottom of your bottles, anyone else heard of this?[/quote']

You obviously didn't read my post...

NAPISAN/SODIUM PERCARB will make it a hell of a lot easier. It will dislodge all the crap for you. Then just give them a rinse.... apart from getting someone else to do it for you, this is about as easiest as you will get.

thanks for all the replies looks like theres no way of getting out of the hard work' date=' i seem to remember hearing about something like a bottling wand that you put on ya tap and blasts water into the bottom of your bottles, anyone else heard of this?[/quote']

You obviously didn't read my post...

NAPISAN/SODIUM PERCARB will make it a hell of a lot easier. It will dislodge all the crap for you. Then just give them a rinse.... apart from getting someone else to do it for you, this is about as easiest as you will get.

easy mate i read your post, advice noted, just asking is there anything like this about? probly wont buy one just nice to know

I'll tell you this.. Ive cleaned some NASTY bottles.. so bad a few were just beyond cleaning.. my method was a hot water soak in a tub with sodium perc/nappisan, leave a few days to a week, give a good scrub with a scrubbing brush on the way out, empty 1/4 the bottle and hit with a bottle brush with the handle cut off, fixed in a battery drill... awesome.. fully empty..

Rinse with hose trigger gun as a jet, 1/4 fill and shake it like a red headed stepchild and then inspect them with water in them against the sky.. (it acts like a magnifying glass yeah? easy to spot imperfections) if they are still heavily soiled.. repeat... If there is still stuff sticking to them after 2 treatments like that, in the bloody bin.. dont take the risk.

Archived