Coopers Community

Bottles of beer on the wall

ShantyCellars

I have been trying to find the answer to my question PLEASE someone... any one????

I am about to bottle my 1st brew. I don't want to run out.... but I don't want it to go bad either.

How long is Cooper Home Brew "GOOD" for after you bottle it? I guess , "What is the shelf life of a bottle home brew?"

Linky link

There is that recipe, although it's only your second brew so perhaps something more simple might be the go. It's not a style I have any experience with really, so other than that recipe I can't really suggest anything. However, I'm sure there's someone on the forum who could. Oh, and welcome to the forum, and brewing! [biggrin]

I believe that beer doesn't generally go off in such a short time unless there is something wrong with it. However, it is the hops that change over the course of time thus changing the outcome of the beer produced. Not only this but I also believe the SG of the beer also plays a minor part.

Many many many moons ago it was the English that used to put a shed load of hops in their beers as a preservative to enable the beer to last the time/distance for importing... and these beers were to be stored for around 2 years. Hence the IPA was born.

Probably a couple of years.

Thats not my understanding. Light coloured Beers are Best within 3-6 months and then they start to go downhill, darker beers such as stouts longer.

Yob

I'm pretty sure that only applies to pasteurised dead beer. A good Pale Ale should last longer than 6 months before starting to go downhill.

I have a few beers that are up to 12 months old. So taking a leaf out of Yob's book I thought I would test the theory and try the first, Basic Blonde 52.4 weeks in the bottle.

Caveat - This was never a great beer, that probably explains why I still have a 750ml and 375ml left.

This beer has been in the fridge for at least 6 months, it uses Coopers Draught kit, generic LME (not looking to dwell on that old chestnut) and a healthy dose of dex to land at 5.5%.

My notes indicate that at 1 month & @ six weeks this beer was soap like and barely drinkable. However it was palatable at 3 months. Now at 12 months it is almost exactly as it was at 3 months. It certainly hasn't gone off.

A nice pop when opened as the C02 escapes the headspace. Bubbles working right through the whole 20 minutes it has been sitting after drinking \xbe of it.

Pours with a nice head, but retention is not great. Collapses pretty quick and after 15 minutes a slight ring of foam persists around the edges.

The malt dominates, obviously with no added hops, but it has a unique taste that I can't really put my finger on. It was the same at 3 & 4 months.

Aroma - it smells like beer.

The last \xbc, well its not really for me so its down the sink, however in summary I\u2019d have to say that 12 months in the bottle has not benefited this beer but it has not been to its detriment either. All I need to do now is save a purler for 12 months [LOL]

This beer has been in the fridge for at least 6 months

It would be interesting to try the same experiment with beer that was stored at room temperature for the whole period to see if the refrigeration delayed the 'aging' some what.

It would be interesting to try the same experiment with beer that was stored at room temperature for the whole period to see if the refrigeration delayed the 'aging' some what.

interesting you are thinking about this Hairy, Ive been doing some research on it and Dr Charlie Bamforth has researched it and says that for every 10'c of staorage temp you lose.. crap was it 50% of the half life or something quite large like that... found in one of these

anyway, good question and the answer seems to be yes, much better for shelf life with cool storage.

Yob

• 1 month later...

Scott you say that beer had no added hops. Therefore' date=' you should try the same experiment with a beer that is full of hop flavor and you will/should notice a big difference after 12 months + in the bottle.[/quote']

Well here it is guys

Today while fossicking around in my beer storage closet I found 14 Casscade style longnecks with white caps. Checking my log book I identified these brews as 12 Dr Smurto Golden Ales and 2 Real Fat Yaks.

Here's the drum. The DR Ss have been sitting on the floor in this closet for 50 weeks. Temps in this closet are as high as 24'C. The brews have all be refrigerated so later in the week some more aged beer testing will take place, and hopefully the results

[love]

Done & dusted.

Tried the Dr Smurto Golden Ale tonight, close to 12 months in storage with temperature variation between 14'C and 24'C.

The verdict, well no need to worry about beers stored in my closet. Remember, those who were around 10 months ago when I tried it, it never actually tasted like JSGA.

But it still tastes the same today, there is a slight undertone from the Amarillo - not a lot of aroma - but the beer tastes great.

The challenge now is to save a bottle or two from a great brew such as the LCPA clone, Mornington Pale Ale or the next best beer ever that I come up with.

Mission Impossible [bandit]

Archived