Coopers Community

Conditioning time for darker beers

AdamH1525226084

Hola Amigos (just been reading about Cerveza)...

I have a couple of darker beers that are bottle and wondering what the minimum conditioning time is. What do you guys (and gals if here [pouty] ) think?

I made the English Stout and bottled it on 23/3/12 - last time I tried it it tasted a bit "green" (maybe 3 weeks ago I think) still. It's been 6 months now. It looks like I added 500g of Dextrose - why on earth I did that I am unsure, maybe it was leftover and I wanted to bump the ABV up. Perhaps it is the dex? I have 12 750 mL flip tops of this so i can leave it for 12 months if needed.

I bottled my Poita Porta on 17/6/12 - this is tasting less green than the stout, but still a bit green. No added dextrose to this baby.

Tonight I tried a SMOTY - bottled on 27/6/12 (only 9 days in the FV cos I was going on holidays - it's actually really clear) and it was ok, but I don't think it's quite ready either.

Hiya AdamH.

The English Stout should (yes should) be starting to reach fruition. It's 7 months in, but I wouldn't judge it for another 2 months. If it still doesn't taste as you thought it should in 2 months time, I'd be looking through your entire brew methodology for that brew. Particularly your storage temperatures of that brew over the duration.

Your Poita Porta already had my attention, & I plan to brew a version of it before Xmas, for next years winter season. Again I would only re-iterate the words of wisdom of better brewers on this forum, and say, "Give it more time", & "Patience is the key", especially with these more complex higher FG/ABV beers.

I hope both of them turn out well for you AdamH. [happy]

Beer.

I find with lighter pale ales etc are pretty good at the 2 week mark I made a chocolate mahogany porter earlier this year i think it was feb i made it and by jun/july it was awesome I have a few bottles left but I leaving them for 12 months I made a dark ale to me i don't like it aging hasn't improved it only have a few bottles left because i drank most of the others while pissed. I aim for 3 months plus on my beers but I did make a OS stout and that was nice in a couple of weeks have a few of them aging and taste quite good. Myself I might try an all malt dark ale with hops and see how that goes I will give it another go but yeah some of the more experienced fella's might be able to driect you in the right direction.

Dark Ales generally need more conditioning/aging time than lighter ones. I've noticed with my American pale ales that they actually taste really good around the 3-4 weeks mark because the hop flavours and aromas are fresh and at their best, they tend to mellow over time. I recently made the toucan stout (OS Stout + OS Dark Ale + 1kg Dextrose), it came out 7.1% ABV and black as black. It really is a question of how much more black could it be and the answer is none, none more black[lol] But I'm planning to keep it stored away until next winter before I start drinking it properly, I'll probably sample one a month in the meantime to see how it's progressing though.

A'ight, I will be more patient [lol]

I've found that the Amber Yak is starting to lose it's hoppiness now, which is about 3 months in, so all the above seem accurate - lighter hoppiers beers are best 3 weeks - 3 months, dark beers 3 months minimum onward.

I have all the above dark beers in a micture of PET and glass, so I can leave them.

It would be good if there is a rule of thumb for certain EBC [pouty] For example, 1 month for each 10 points colour - but I think maybe that's too hard to do, because ABV also plays a part [pinched]

Yep agreed... +1 for the toucan stout.

I have one in the keg that has been on tap since January this year (nearly 10 months). Slowly getting through it but can certainly tell the difference since it first went in. I'm not a stout fan so only have a glass of it now and then. I still have 8 bottles of the same batch I am yet to try. Half primed with 2 carb drops and the other half with 1.

Archived