Coopers Community

Noob Brewing Success

Outlaw Parrot

Hey all,

I am happy to say that i have had some begginers luck with my first brew and my second tastes very promising already.

My first is a kit Coopers Pale Ale, totally standard. This is a good thirst quencher for a hot day, not my type of beer though, i only made it cause thats what was in the box when i bought the kit.

My second brew is a Coopers Sparkling ale, varied with 1KG Maltodextrin(#15 mix from my LHBS), 15g Amarillo.

My friend and myself opened a bottle to taste sample this afternoon. I may be a noob at homebrew but i know a good drop when i taste one,and so does my buddy,who confiscated 4 longnecks to make sure i didn't drink them all while he is on the road(interstate truckie)[lol] This brew is still green, only been bottled 3 weeks, can't wait till it's ready 28th Oct [love]

Cheers,

Parrot

varied with 1KG Maltodextrin(#15 mix from my LHBS)

Is that a typo?

Your LHBS didn't recommend the Coopers Sparkling Ale with 1kg Maltodextrin, did they?

Anyway, well done completing your first couple of brews. Its an addictive hobby.

Is that a typo?

Your LHBS didn't recommend the Coopers Sparkling Ale with 1kg Maltodextrin, did they?

Anyway, well done completing your first couple of brews. Its an addictive hobby.

Hey Hairy,

No mate that is not a typo and yes my LHBS guy recommended i add the maltodextrin and Amarillo.

It has got kick and tastes quite nice even only being in the bottle 3 weeks, carbed up, holds a nice 1cm silky smooth head till near the end of a schooner.

Cheers,

Parrot

If that's a kit + 1kg maltodextrin I'm surprised you're not eating it with a spoon...[lol] The ABV would be lucky to be above 3% too. I've seen people mention that #15 mix before, I'm pretty sure it's something like Cooper's BE2, in that it contains some light dry malt and dex as well as maltodextrin. I'll check out my LHBS tomorrow though when I buy some ingredients for my next brew, I think they have something called #15 as well. If they do I'll make a note of what's in it.

That sounds very strange' date=' as maltodextrin is not very fermentable. It's only used in relatively small quantities to give the beer more body and head retention, but it won't contribute much alcohol.[/quote']

Hey Jimmy,

Honestly i just went along with what the LHBS guy said.

I could be wrong but more than likely the #15 mix from your LHBS contains Maltodextrin along with either dextrose and/or light dry malt.

You should find out from them for future reference.

Hey Hairy,

Yeah the #15 is a dex/malt and something else mix 333g of each, i will ask today when i pass the shop exactly what the ingredients are.

If that's a kit + 1kg maltodextrin I'm surprised you're not eating it with a spoon...[lol] The ABV would be lucky to be above 3% too. I've seen people mention that #15 mix before' date=' I'm pretty sure it's something like Cooper's BE2, in that it contains some light dry malt and dex as well as maltodextrin. I'll check out my LHBS tomorrow though when I buy some ingredients for my next brew, I think they have something called #15 as well. If they do I'll make a note of what's in it.[/quote']

Hey Otto,

I can assure you the ABV is way more than 3%, after just 1 x 650ml you do know you've had one.

I don't know if it makes any difference but i used 15g of yeast in the brew(also LHBS recommendation).

Primmed the bottles with 5g each dex, i don't have a second FV yet so i did it the hard way with gold scales and dosed each bottle [lol]

Cheers,

Parrot

If it is any decent Home Brew Shop I can guarantee their #15 mix won't be 1kg of Maltodextrin if there is only a kg. If there is then you would want to get about 5kg of mix which would have about 1kg Malto.

I too am pretty sure these figures are wrong. If not then they certainly won't sell much of it and would only to noobs, that's for sure. You don't need/want anymore than 250-300g at the very most in any 23L brew and personally you would be better off buying Dryed Malt (or Malt Extract) and Dextrose and do your own mixes.

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies.

It does taste good, even green.

From the comments i think my LHBS guy is a BS(does not stnd for Brew Shop) guy[devil] and as you said BillK, he's selling stuff to noobs, i do not appreciate this clowns actions, i haven't made my trip to town yet, i will go into my LHBS store shortly, i can play the noob too [lol] after telling him i want 6 assorted Coopers cans and some other bits and pieces, i'll politely explain to him that he could have had a good loyal customer(making sure he sees the contents of my wallet), he can keep the cans etc as i am on my way to BigW to buy !

Cheers all,

Parrot

If it tastes OK I am sure he didn't sell you 1kg Maltodextrin.

He would have sold you a pack that contained some maltodextrin and there was a misunderstanding with his explanation. It sounds like it is all OK.

You can go off half cocked if you want but perhaps you could give him the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to explain what he sold to you.

hrrrmmm TBH, I wouldn't go burning any bridges. You just never know when you need something from him yourself. Big W doesn't sell the international range either, so you never know what you may want around the corner..... [rightful]

It is only the Thomas Coopers range that are only sold in home brew shops.

Original Series and International Series are sold in Big W.

Yeah I actually knew this.... I was in a rush when typing and was thinking of other things... [pinched]

Did the same thing the other day... driving home went straight through a red light then though afterward... 'hrrrmmmm was that red'. I'm really glad nothing was coming the other way [pinched]

Archived