Coopers Community

keeping your brew at the right temperture

Desa

firetc.jpg

Electric Blanket is not the way mate.. sorry..

What you need to be thinking is along the lines of an STC-1000 and a fridge + heatpad/light bulb/reptile heater/

The combination of any of the above will work a treat for you.

Please stay away from an electric blanket to keep liquids warm. [crying]

If you want to go temperature controlled (and I would suggest that it is indeed a good Idea) There are quite a few people here to help with options. By far the best way to go though is a temp controlled fridge.

[ninja]

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a cheap bar fridge (even a new one is under $200 these days) for the FV so I can continue to brew through summer with much easier temp control. How does something like the STC-1000 manipulate the fridge temp? Do I need a fridgee to wire it in for me?

You don't hard wire the fridge into the STC. The STC is an external thermostat and you plug the fridge and a heat source (like a heat pad) power cord into the STC.

You will need to wire up the STC and you can do this yourself. If you aren't confident or comfortable wiring up a 240v device then get a sparky to do it for you.

The STC has a temp probe and will switch the fridge and heat pad on and off to maintain a certain temperature range.

So what wiring exactly is required? I just got myself a fridge and was looking at doing this. Do you just need to cut a couple of extension cords and wire them up to the terminals shown in the diagram (male for the mains and 2x female for the heating & cooling device)?

Looks relatively painless if that's the case. [biggrin] [cool] [biggrin]

kind of.. not really... the STC is a switching device and as such has alot more 'active' wires than anything else.. They aint difficult to wire up but you DO need an understanding of the why's and what'not's

There are plenty of tutorial threads online to assist.

PLEASE NOTE: These are 240v devices and 'by law' should have a compliance plate.

I have 5 of these... none have compliance plates but also my old man was a sparkie so this sort of stuff does come easy to me.

[innocent]

I think I understand what wiring is required, correct me if I'm wrong...

Looks to me like cut the power lead from the fridge in half and hard wire the fridge into the STC, then use the plug and lead cut off the fridge and connect it into the STC for the power supply. Then attach the temp probe.

The fridge will want to chill down to its usual 4-5 degrees but the STC will say, ah ha but no we are brewing an ale and cut the power supply to the fridge when its happy.

Plan B, invite a sparkie or fridgee around for a beer...

\\cut the power lead from the fridge in half and hard wire the fridge into the STC' date=' then use the plug and lead cut off the fridge and connect it into the STC for the power supply. Then attach the temp probe.\\[/quote']

erm... No... Please see prior posted image

Yeah I guess you can do that.

I preferred not to hard wire mine because I wanted the flexibility of using the fridge normally. Believe it or not, there are times when my fridge doesn't have an FV in it, usually when my wife has commandeered it [crying]

But I reiterate my earlier point. If you aren't comfortable wiring 240v devices then get a sparkie to do it or at least check it over.

STC1000's 'can' even be mounted in the fridge door, I contemplated doing this for a while but decided to keep the unit as a stand alone box for the reason that I may want to swap it out.. in fact this is indeed the case, One of my fridges has to go and be replaced with a side by side fridge/freezer... (I need more room to store hops etc) so Im glad I decided to keep them separate.

Trying to sell off a fridge with a mutilated power chord could be tricky [cool] ... well.. to anyone except an understanding brewer that is [lol]

Yob

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a cheap bar fridge (even a new one is under $200 these days) for the FV so I can continue to brew through summer with much easier temp control.

Ooh - if you find a model which fits the FV nicely then please let me know! I haven't had the time to have a proper look yet myself.

So, let me see if i have this right...

you have a beer and plug in the fridge, then while having another beer you cut the live mains wire with a rusty blade.

next you stand in a barrel of cold water (which keeps your next beer cold) and wire the two halves to the controller.

finish another beer and fill the bottle with petrol, before setting it aflame on the bottom or the fridge.

then when it gets too hot, the controller tells the fridge to kick in and cool it down.

or get a sparky.

I think I've got it [biggrin]

right?

Hey everyone.

From what I understand, the smaller bar fridge can be quite power hungry. If you can, try and get a normal sized fridge - one without the freezer is even better. My fridge is a 230 L I think (but with the freezer) and the DIY FV just fits in with the krausen collar on it. I have to have the tap to the side in order to shut the door [pinched]

Regarding controllers - my mate has an STC1000 mounted in the door and wired into the thermostat. We are electrical engineers so it is relatively straightforward to us how to wire them in. But, I preferred to have the external controller for the reasons Hairy mentioned. Keg King in Springvale VIC sell one already mounted and wired up (with two power plugs, not one like in the image on the site) - you just need to plug the fridge and heatbelt cord into that - it's what I use and it's sweet as. I think it's $80.

For basic temp control a sleeping bag worked well enough for me before I got the fridge - or the wet towel draped over on the really hot days.

Archived