Coopers Community

Your favouritest tastiest Coopers kit?

Soundawake

Yes I'm aware 'favouritest' isn't a real word [rightful]

What is, in your opinion, the best Coopers kit? Let's put it to a vote.

My vote goes to the Thomas Coopers IPA kit. Even the stock standard kit recipe is pretty damn tasty, and it really shines with some recultured yeast or other good yeast, and LOVES the addition of more hops. I'm moving to all grain but the IPA kit is the one kit I'll continue to brew.

On the other end of the scale, the OS lager kit is pretty forgettable and the Sparkling Ale kit I just can't seem to get tasting good. Used different types of yeast, pretty average every time.

It's hard to pick one, I have used the English Bitter kit seven times since April and love the EB Porter that I made. I also have an IPA, hopped with Stella, in the Keg at 5 weeks and I know it is gonna be a cracker.

But at the minute I am finishing off the last two of my LCPA attempt (34 weeks bottled) and absolutely loving it (see pic in my signature). So, given that two of my fave recipes use it as a base, I'm gonna punt for the APA.

I've made one good beer with the OS lager, but was initially disappointed with the Sparkling when I did Dr. S's Golden Ale (It was better after 5 months).

I love the APA made with Brew Enhancer 2. Really tasty and VERY drinkable. Really good in the Ashes Ale recipe as well. Unfortunately, I have never got the Sparkling Ale to turn out very well either. It's drinkable, just not very special.

I'll give my vote for the IPA, just finished one and another on the go..Fantastic,up for a good dose of UK hops and very easy drinking. I was amassed at how clear and "bright" it looked after a week in the keg,and that's about how long it lasted.

If I were to give a 3-2-1 at No.2 would be the APA. I like to brew this with half a can of Coopers amber malt and half a box of BE2,US05 and any "fruit salad hops you can think of(cascade, nelsons,galaxy,amarillo,ect)

At the bronze is the real ale kit. To hard to stuff up and it makes for a good testing ground for both American and Englihs pale ales...can't go wrong.

Dead last is the one I am drinking know......(drum roll)...Sparkling Ale. No matter how hard I try with this can ....for the money it truly does suck. Dr Tim its back to the drawing board for this can.

To recap:

3 votes,IPA

2 votes,APA

1 vote, Real Ale

Following Jason's 3-2-1 voting methodology:

3 votes - English Bitter

2 votes - IPA

1 vote - Aus Pale Ale

I'm not a big fan of the OS Lager kit but recently brewed the OS Draught and I liked it; it appears to be a good kit to use as a base.

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of the APA, dunno why, it's just not 'up there' in my favourite styles I guess. I do like the American pales that I've made though. If I was to use the AFL Brownlow voting system I'd go

3V. English Bitter

2V. Dark Ale

1V. TC Australian Bitter

I haven't done a great range of kits yet, but slowly getting around to it, and I've also done 3 batches of extract brews. I did bottle a standard Euro Lager + tin of light LME about 3 weeks ago so it's not really ready yet.

Switching to the voting system, my votes are:

3 votes - APA

2 votes - Aussie Bitter

1 vote - Canadian Blonde

This has made me decide what to make next. I have never made the English Bitter or the TC Wheat Beer. They are now on the shopping list. [biggrin]

3 votes: Aust Pale Ale

2 votes: OS Stout (toucan with the OS Dark Ale)

1 vote: OS Draught

An honourable mention to the OS Lager. Done as an amber ale I think its not a bad drop. What can I say, I'm a bit of a sweet tooth at times. [cool]

You know what? I've never even tried the English Bitter.

This has to change.

YES for me to, never done this one before? Do you just do can reciepe or another/ Can't seem to find receipe on coopers site apart from the extra smooth bitter one with the added moulasses

I like to add a little extra to the English Bitter kit.

1x English Bitter kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

250g Crystal malt (Heritage crystal is good)

S-04 or Windsor yeast

Hops - I like Styrian Goldings or EKG but you can use whatever you want. Add some in the boil at 15 min and 5 min and also dry hop.

It is a great kit [love]

Archived