Coopers Community

Filter Ideas

BrewingBenny

Yes me ONCE AGAIN, needing help. I'm brewing a draught and added directly to the FV 15g of galaxy hops. Today is day 7 in the FV and I did an SG check to see how things were fairing. Upon taste testing of the product I thought S#$T this is terrible. It tasted like overly bittered hops and I could taste no beer. Yes there was some chunky bits in the test tube, but I did get rid of the first 30ish mls before taking the actual SG sample. Should I buy a filter, use finings or leave it once bottled to see if it settles out. I'm almost contemplating ditching it as it was so bitter. I'm hoping it will settle out with another 2ish weeks in the FV. [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed] [annoyed]

The hop matter will settle out, you may end up with some in the bottles but it won't add any bitterness, neither will throwing them directly in the fermenter. But if it is overly bitter it should mellow over time in the bottles. I did an English Bitter a few months ago that was way too bitter, but 3 months later it's quite a nice drop!

Give it at least another week in the FV and then some decent time in the bottles.

I find Galaxy can be a little harsh at first but settles down nicely with some bottle conditioning.

Definitely don't ditch it. [rightful]

Will do Adam, I'm really hoping this one works out awesome, as I was excited to be using hops and trialling different things. Yeast extraction is my next project, flask and bits for the stir plate are arriving. Nervous times. Muddy, a couple of things in life we're assured of, taxes, death and i'll never be patient LOL. Cheers Team. [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

use caution with Galaxy and Nelson together... more does not always equal better.. (with these hops anyway [whistling )

each of these hops wants to be dominating and the 2 together are a volatile combination... Id be putting a whack of 'c' hops in there to ballance it as well.

Im not saying that they cannot be judiciously used together but is best to go low on one or the other, for me I generally only have a smallish Nelson addition at some point... Nelson giving winish characteristics isnt usually what I want jumping out of a beer.

go low and adjust subsequent brews to taste.

Yob

My galaxy experience so far leabes a lot to be desired' date=' but I guess it will mellow out with age. PATIENCE they say WTF is that LOL [lol'] [lol]

In the words of Guns'n'Roses:

Said sugar make it slow

And we'll come together fine

All we need is just a little patience

Patience, patience, patience

Ooh, oh, yeah

Just take it slow and it will work out fine. [rightful]

I have a few weeks to talk myself out of it, but I think I am going to try the ANZAC IPA - galaxy and nelson. I will use caution Yob [biggrin]

Has anyone use Stella hops? My mate made an american pale ale with them (used magnums for bittering and Stella's for everything else, although the Stellas would be fine for bittering I think!!) and it's bloody fantastic.

The Bridge Road Brewers Stella single hop IPA is pretty nice too

Archived