Coopers Community

1st Brew Question :)

MichaelB37

Hi guys, its been 2 weeks this Friday since I bottled my brew, looked at a bottle today and gave it a little shake, there is pressure in there which is good :D

Would it be too early to taste one on Friday to see how its going?

It has been sat in bottles at around 25*C in a dark place.

Also it seems I got a lot of sediment in some bottles, is there a way to filter this without just pouring it slowly?

Thanks again for all the help on my first brew :D

PS Where can I buy the Nut Brown from in the UK or is it discontinued?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it mate. It is good to have a taste early so that you can see how it progresses over time (and it will get better over time).

As for the sediment, I don't think you should worry about filtering it. Leave the bottle upright in the fridge and it should compact at the bottom. Then it is easy to pour off into a glass without disturbing the sediment. And try not to shake the bottles.

The nut brown ale kit was discontinued a few years ago. However there is a recipe for a nut brown ale in the How to Brew section using the Dark Ale kit.

and to use the crystal malt all I have to do is heat up the 2L of water as per usual and put the grain in the water for 15mins? all at 155*F and in a nylon bag? Or do I take off the heat and leave to cool with the grain in it for longer?

Also I just read a thread below this one of somebody else doing the nut brown recipe, I am thinking of stealing his idea and using the light malt extract, what difference would this have on taste?

One more thing, what yeast should I use lol is the stuff provided sufficient or am I better throwing that aside and using something better?

and to use the crystal malt all I have to do is heat up the 2L of water as per usual and put the grain in the water for 15mins? all at 155*F and in a nylon bag? Or do I take off the heat and leave to cool with the grain in it for longer?

What is this 155*F you speak of? We use metric here, which the UK is supposed to [bandit]

Get your water up to 70 degrees Celcius, plonk your bag in and steep for 30 mins. The temp should drop to around 67-68 when you add the grains.

I've seen people say not to worry about keeping the heat on and some say to try to keep it at 70. One of the guys puts the pot into an esky so the temp doesn't drop too much.

I just leave the heat on very low and give the bag a jiggle every now and then - if you do this it's a good idea to have the bag not touching the bottom of the pot.

I haven't used the light malt can, but I've heard people say the amber malt is much sweeter than the light - as well as being darker in colour, so you may end up with a Nut orange ale [lol]

If you're steeping crystal malt you don't really need a bag providing you've got a strainer to pour it through after the steeping process. Failing that you could use a stocking, you could put the grain in it, or you could use it as a strainer and just pour the grain over it into your boil pot. The stocking will catch the grain and let the resultant liquid through. Either way will work but whatever is the easiest for you, go for it [biggrin]

Archived