Coopers Community

1st Brew Question :)

MichaelB37

Hey guys, My Cooper's DIY Kit (Lager) came through today and I set my first brew going 4ish hours ago.

Im not too worried, I cleaned the kit out and sanitized and rinsed it again for extra precaution taking care to get rid of any chlorine smell, including everything that will/might come into contact with the brew using something from the same home brew site I ordered the kit from. I am going to use star san from now on tho after researching good sanatizers.

But just looked in the fermenter before leaving it for the next few days or so and noticed what looked like a lot of sediment already on the bottom. Is this normal, if it is im happy as everything else went smootly, I got an OG of 1037 and everything else looks good. Just a little weary as I havent dont this before and dont wanna kill my baby so soon, or if I do I want to spot it early and replace with a new kit :)

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael - Sounds fine to me. Try not to worry too much about sediment, thick foam on top, no foam on top etc. etc. as it is generally just ingredients or signs of fermentation. Bad smells and bad tastes are the best signs of infection.

Try to relax and enjoy the process (It gets easier....the process and the relaxing [biggrin] ).

Welcome to the heady world of brewing!

thanks for the quick reply, didnt think it was anything to worry about just looked like more that I expected this soon.

I will try to relax ;) just 4 more weeks till I can drinks some, cant wait.

also 1 more thing, the lid is slightly warped (clipped to the coller atm), not a lot and I dont think this is much of a problem either but might as well check :)

Just a word of warning..

The lager kit that comes with the DIY is probably the most average kit that Coopers sell - I have no idea why they insist on shipping that one with the kit.

So don't be disheartened if you find you don't like the beer. It's only your first brew. Also give it AT LEAST 4 weeks in the bottle before you try it.. especially in your cold UK weather.

I'm 3 brews in and have stressed myself to the brink each time. The consensus from the amazing people on this forum is "DON'T STRESS" If you did everything as per the book it'll be fine. Definately pay no attention to the airlock as Muddy will have a conniption LOL and as long as the temp is maintained fairly low as its a lager, in 2-3 weeks or when hydrometer readings are consecutive over 2 days you will have a brew you made to enjoy. They tell me on here patience is a must. It's one thing I struggle with but hey i'm only human when it comes to good beer.Good Luck

Correction on Benny's comment, but it's also reminded me of a question I've been thinking about....

The yeast that comes with the OS kits (including the Lager in the DIY kit) is an Ale yeast (as per http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=1803).

But, some kits come with a mix of Ale and Lager yeast)(such as the Pale Ale and Cerveza). Can you brew these at lager temps, or are they designed to be brewed at ale temps and the lager part gives off esters that are desirable with that particular kit? I would assume if you wanted to brew at lager temps you would need more of it, cos the ale yeast wouldn't do anything.

But, some kits come with a mix of Ale and Lager yeast)(such as the Pale Ale and Cerveza). Can you brew these at lager temps, or are they designed to be brewed at ale temps?

I think they are brewed at ale temps, because there isn't enough of the lager yeast to work at the lager temps. I've done recipes based off the Pale Ale twice, and also an Australian Bitter kit which both have the hybrid yeast, brewed at ale temps and tastes perfectly fine[biggrin]

Cheers,

Kelsey

I have taken the view that the "hybrid" yeast works is a similar way to the way you would brew a Steam beer. For it is used as a lager yeast that can/could be brewed at ale temps(up to 18c) but the difference is the Coopers yeast has a little help from the ale yeast. I like this strain and use it quite a lot and find it works well at its 3rd generation.

Hey guys, Thanks for all the replies so far :)

Yea my fermenter doesnt have the airlock :P

I havent really paid much attention to the brew today but decided to take an SG to see how its going (seemed very gassy). It is now at 1027 so its working, some nice foam/bubbles on the top and the sample smelled ok, a bit yeasty but its only 24hrs in. Having some hot weather recently but its sat at 25*c so below what the book told me :)

when it comes to bottling I will do it in the attic (where my snakes are) and it is normally about 24-25*c ambient in there almost all of the time so that should be fine to leave for just 3ish weeks? (im eager to try it! :D )

The yeast it came with is just in a gold packet and says "Brewing Yeast 7g" with a code "02712" on the back as well as a barcode - dunno if this helps determine what it is.

Oh and as for getting it with the lager, I tried coopers lager at a BBQ once but it was official stuff not home brew and was hoping this was the same/similar stuff, if it isnt neverind its probably better to risk failing on an average beer right? ;)

I am a mild ale drinker that doesnt like things too hoppy but I dont mind it either. I dont like stout (found the last few I had too bitter) so can anyone recommend a good kit for my next batch which I plan on starting after I bottle this one. Also I love Newcastle Brown Ale (the older kind from a few years back before it seemed to change) so if anyone can recommend something like this ill love you forever :P

Thanks again

I brewed a real ale with BE2 and for a simple kit it was really nice. I have a Sparkling on the go now and that's another ale I really enjoy. I'm starting to experiment a bit more as is the advise from many on this forum, i'm sure you'll make a winner, just remember to write down what you did. Happy Brewing.

Having some hot weather recently but its sat at 25*c so below what the book told me :

Thanks again

Oh dear... [crying]

Burn the booklet and pray for your beer...

Yob

I think Yob is having a conniption now [lol]

4. Ferment temperature should be in the range 21\xb0C-27\xb0C.

The lower the better Michael. The yeast with the Lager kit (ale yeast) can be brewed as low as 18 and up to 40, but you don't want the higher end or you get unwanted by-products. Try to stay under the 25 mark for this beer.

My first beer (the same OS Lager in the DIK kit) was brewed about the same temp (23-25) and it tasted fine for a first beer. So don't worry about Yob [tongue] Once you're on your second beer come back and us for more information [lol]

The Coopers Australian Pale Ale makes a good beer.

I sooooo hate that booklet....

I followed it to for my first brew... and then I found the forums and read, then I read some more, and some more...

hang on.... Im still doing that [lol]

Brew Ale Yeasts as low as 17 and as high as 20 in my book.

Lagers? pffff... cant stand lagers... not hoppy enough..

IPA all the way baby [whistling

Next stop DIPA's and then rehab for my taste buds [lol]

Yob

Archived