Coopers Community

Free bottles

Mainiac

Well almost free. I live in a state that has a bottle redemption bill. They get 3.5 cents to handle them so I can probably get all i want for as little as 10 cents a piece. So my question is should I but these or buy PET?

I can get either clear or brown

always glass

12 or 16 oz

screw or crown.

Any suggestions?

It all comes down to preference really. For long term storage glass is the way to go. However for regular beers that you will be drinking within a year just use whatever suits you.

I have heaps of coopers longneck bullet proof bottles and they are great however they don't fit on my fridge shelves standing up and the door of the fridge gets a bit heavy and shifts on it's hinges if I put them (or anything weighty) there. So I have shifted to using more PET bottles - They can fit on my fridge shelf and they work just as well as glass bottles for up to 2-3 years before you may lose some carbonation.

Some people turn their nose up at storing beer in plastic (I was once one of them) but they are just using outdated logic and say beer tastes better out of glass bottles. This is only true if you are drinking beer out of the actual bottle (which wont do you beer any justice [pinched] ). It is actually the smell from the plastic as you sip that taints the perceived taste so as long you are pouring your beer from the PET bottle into a glass before you drink it will taste just the same as it would if it had been poured into glass.

Just my 2c worth [biggrin]

It is actually the smell from the plastic as you sip that taints the perceived taste

[unsure] That has got to be a worry...

How? Why? [unsure]

It is the same as if you drink from a can you smell the aluminium (whether you realise it or not) but if you pour that can into a glass that smell is gone and the taste is true.

It is the same as if you drink from a can

I've tried to drink from the can before. It tasted a bit funky and I lost my beer when I flushed.

Anyway, I use PETs and have had no problems with them.

Well almost free. I live in a state that has a bottle redemption bill. They get 3.5 cents to handle them so I can probably get all i want for as little as 10 cents a piece. So my question is should I but these or buy PET?

I can get either clear or brown

always glass

12 or 16 oz

screw or crown.

Any suggestions?

Always go brown, otherwise your beer will suffer from lightstrike due to exposure to UV light.

Go big, brown, crown.

So big brown just like my girlfriend (don't tell my wife)

I can get quart bottles 32 oz 946 ml

or

1 liter bottles

My question is if I use either of these can I just use 3 priming pellets per bottle?

Also I keep my beer in complete darkness so do i still have to worry about brown verses clear?

Chihuahuas-dance-of-seduction.gif

or

1 liter bottles

My question is if I use either of these can I just use 3 priming pellets per bottle?

Also I keep my beer in complete darkness so do i still have to worry about brown verses clear?

Re: Bottle size... you know what Im going to say... Look into bulk priming and then it doesnt matter what your bottle size is..

Re: Clear V's brown.. Nope, wont matter at all.

Yob

or

1 liter bottles

Re: Bottle size... you know what Im going to say... Look into bulk priming and then it doesnt matter what your bottle size is..

Re: Clear V's brown.. Nope, wont matter at all.

Yob

I am a noob and don't know how to bulk prime. Can I bulk prime if I am using the DIY?

Maniac I found this simple explanation off wiki home brewing. I am a noob also but understood this

What is bulk priming?

Bulk priming is when the sugar is in solution and mixed with the entire batch at once immediately prior to bottling as opposed to adding the sugar to each bottle.

Why bulk prime?

It is quick and easy and, if done properly, it provides a more consistent level of carbonation. It is also independent of bottle size.

How do I do it?

There are two basic ways, straight addition and racking. Straight addition is where you add the sugar solution directly to the beer and mix it in. Racking is where you put the sugar solution in a separate vessel and \u2018rack\u2019 or transfer the beer to the other vessel, mixing it as it goes.

The DIY kit you bottle straight from the primarty fermenter so I am thinking if I bulk prime into that I will mix up all the "gunk" on the bottom and that can't be good.

Does anyone have a recipe for bulk priming?

The DIY kit you bottle straight from the primarty fermenter so I am thinking if I bulk prime into that I will mix up all the "gunk" on the bottom and that can't be good.

Does anyone have a recipe for bulk priming?

I wouldn't bulk prime in the primary FV. Add the sugar solution to another FV and rack into that before bottling.

Below is a link to a calculator. There are a few other ones on the net.

Bulk Priming Calculator

I don't bulk prime. I use the 740 ml PET bottles and have started using CSR Sugar Cubes for priming. For my pale ales I use one 4.5g cube per bottle and it is perfect for my taste. I found two carb drops just a little too fizzy.

Bulk priming gives you greater flexibility but for me, I have found a method and priming rate I am happy with and I don't have to clean another FV.

When I bottle I bulk prime all the time.

I have 2 fermenters's (I got one from Bunnings for around $15) and I basically connect the 2 taps on the fermenters together with a piece of silicon tubing. I boil the amount of sugar I need to use in a small amount of water and put it in the second (empty ) fermenter.

After that I basically just open both taps and gravity will take the beer from the primary to the secondary (the secondary is down lower then the primary. As this goes into the fermenter rather slowly it also mixes the sugar all through the beer.

Then you don't have to add sugar to the bottles as the beer already has it in it.

I use the 740 ml PET bottles and have started using CSR Sugar Cubes for priming. For my pale ales I use one 4.5g cube per bottle and it is perfect for my taste. I found two carb drops just a little too fizzy.

I bulk prime but have often heard of people using sugar cubes. I might have to give it a try but be warned Hairy I'm gonna come looking for you if I'm not impressed [annoyed]...[biggrin]

I might have to give it a try but be warned Hairy I'm gonna come looking for you if I'm not impressed

Not a problem. I've seen how worked up you get over dented malt cans so I would like to see you really angry.

I am pretty easy to find. I often go by the name BillK and I live in Hobart [biggrin]

Don't worry Bill. I think Muddy will be impressed so you should be safe.

I noticed a beer in your signature - "Willy's Golden Shower". I was going to ask what that was but I don't think I want to know [crying]

The Golden Shower didn't turn out quite as good as I expected but was still an alright drop. I think next time I'd sub the wheat for another malt.

5kg Traditional Ale

600g Wheat

500g CaraMalt

15g Amarillo @ 45

15g Amarillo @ 10

15g Amarillo @ 0

15g Amarillo Dry

US05 yeast

Make to 25L

Edit: forgot to mention this recipe was adjusted for no-chill. IBU = 31.1

Ive been vacationing around beer country - Germany and the Czech republic - the last three weeks (I'm not bragging, there is a point) and while i was away read John Palmer's "How To Brew". What a great read. There's much better info in the book compared to the online version (here if you haven't seen it). He talks about bulk priming and the two options mentioned by Benny.

IF you only have the one FV he says to stir in your priming sugar, in a liquid form, but very gently. Leave it for 30 minutes to settle the trub again, then bottle.

I haven't tried this yet (just got back home yesterday) so not sure how great it actually is - but if you Cold Crash/Condition it should be OK?

Archived