Coopers Community

Smell?

King Ruddager

I've recently heard some people complain about home brews stinking "foul" and "to high heaven", but three brews in and I've never noticed it myself. Not without lifting the lid anyway! Are there some types of brew that smell worse than others, or does the new Coopers FV not release as much smell perhaps?

It depends on what people don't like. For example, I love the smell of hops, but my Dad doesn't like hoppy beers. My missus doesn't mind the hop smell, but doesn't like the smell of steeping grains...

Depends what people don't like. Good advice is not to stick your head in the FV - expecially if you're making a highly alcoholic brew. The amount of CO2 could knock you out [lol] [lol]

Depends what people don't like. Good advice is not to stick your head in the FV - expecially if you're making a highly alcoholic brew. The amount of CO2 could knock you out [lol] [lol]

+1 not advisable lol however beers such as the Australian Pale Ale, Sparkling ale and i think a couple of others have the ale/lager yeast strains the first couple of times i brewed these i freaked out thinking my beer had gone off "the rotten egg smell" however it clears by the end of 2 weeks in the fermenter and clears even more in the bottle. As with hops SWMBO hates the smell of hops whereas I love it so depends really there on personal preference in that aspect.

It is generally the yeast that creat any smells. Whether this is a Lager yeast or the way the user added/fermented with it.

The only alternative issue maybe an infection but you are saying a lo of people are noticing this so chances are it isn't an infection.

Fermentation creates different smells. Some of it not so bad (even tho they smell bad).

Best way to check is to give it a smell after it has finished fermenting and then give it a little taste. If it tastes and smells good at this point then its all good to go.

Archived