Coopers Community

New member and first brew

Fishingdogs

Well got my kit on Sunday and have been glued to this forum since. Well put my first batch down today and well not the best weather in SEQ queensland but I couldnt wait any longer. Did the brew but couldnt get the them below 32c. On the instructions from the can said to put the yeast in if you cant get it to the recommended temp. aslong as its between 32 and 18c. So im after some advice to see if this will be fine?

it'll ferment, but it'll be yeasty, cloudy, and have a lot of fruity esters.

this is what yob would say is another example of the coopers instructions doing more harm than good.

you would've been better off waiting til it was cooler to brew.

failing that, you would've been better off leaving the lid on until it had cooled down and then pitched the yeast.

you need to get it down to 18 degrees-ish ASAP. you can't brew it at 32 degrees, it'll taste horrible.

a tip for next time - try and use some chilled water.

It won't be the best. Try to get the temp down as much and as soon as possible.

Brewing at 32 degrees is likely to produce fusel alcohol and some off/strange flavours.

In future, try to put 5-10 litres of water in the fridge the night before brewing and this will help achieve your pitching temp.

Maintaining that temp during fermentation may be harder. Try placing the fermenter in a container/sink/bath of cool water and place a towel over the top with the ends sitting in the water. This should help a little.

By the way, welcome to the Forum!

Patience is one of the things that home brewing teaches us over time. The right conditions, the right ingredients, the right temperature are all very important to making a "great" beer.

We can have all the enthusiasm in the world but if the conditions of successful brewing are not met, the outcome will be less than ideal and as an end result will make you less enthusiastic about repeating.

Lots of people give up for these reasons, it takes a certain mind set and a particular determination to meet all the required conditions to get across the line.

All I can sugest at this point is to try and get the temps down and keep as steady as you can and to research.

Its a great hobby man, welcome to the obsession.

Damn. . am I getting known for running down the (arguably /deservedly) crap instructions?

Good luck with it mate, don't get down of you fail on the first, it might help if you know that my first beer was done at high temps too, wasn't great, (actually it was shet) but I've managed to do better since[roll]

Yob

If you want to get the brew temp down and keep it there for its fermenting life take the FV to the laundry sink and half fill it with water then to the water you add frozen 2L juice(with water) bottles to the water, around 2/3 per day @ 6-8 hour intervals. And on 30C+ days is enough to keep it around the 18C-21C without any problems.

Others will gripe about infections getting in the tap, but after doing this for over 6 years and for at least 6 months of the year in Perth I've NEVER had a BAD brew and its always worked.

Its a good cheap and easy meathod to keep your brew at a happy tempreture[happy]

Thanks for the replys, the temps come down on the brew so I hope it will be fine. Dont worry if this batch is no good I will still be giving another go.

I'm also looking into an old fridge and change the controller so I can set it to keep brew at the right temp. Mind you the last time I brewed was 15 years ago and I didnt check the temps or anything and they turned out ok. So here hoping.

• 2 weeks later...
BillK I got it down fairly quick i suppose and it then sat on 24c for the whole time

24 is a lot better than 32, but optimum temps are between 18 and 21. If you don't have a fridge, like myself, I find what works well in summer is wrapping the fermenter in a large towel, then between the towel and the fermenter placing a couple of big Cold Packs, which I replace every 12 hours or so.

My modified fridge recently blew so I went on Gumtree and picked up an old chest freezer for a whopping $5, the guy simply didnt want the hastle of tipping it (you could do the same with a fridge). I then went on ebay and bought one of these reptile probe thermostats Im now cooling up to 3 FV's for $35 It can also be set for lagering.

The thermostat has cooling and heating so can also be used with a heat belt/mat/lamp in winter if needed.

I understand these can only do either heat or cool' date=' one at a time. However, this one appears a little different, can it do both?[/quote']

I have the same one as this and yeah it can only do one at a time. I don't see this becoming too much of a problem, though, unless you live somewhere where temperatures vary a lot from day to day... like Melbourne [lol]

Your exactly right Bill it can only be set to one or the other but the majority of reptile thermo's only deal with heating, thats the beauty of this product.

Its a crude system but works beut for little outlay and 0 wiring experience.

You could set one up with a lamp inside the fridge/freezer and have one set to control the cooling and one set to control the lamp if you live in an area with a huge temperature fluctuation over night and day

imo needing 2 would be a daggy outcome. For aound $60-$70 (cant remember the exact price sorry) you can get a wired up temp controller from Keg King that will do both heating and cooling and you won't need to check it to switch them as needed.

I'm in Tassie and a saying we have here is: "if you don't like our weather, come back in 10 minutes".

you wouldnt need to check it,

1 set to 17 degrees heating, anything below and the lamp/belt/mat comes on.

1 set to 19 degrees Cooling, anything above that and the freezer switches on.

But your exactly right if you can wire a heating source and the freezer into one unit then why mess around with two thermostats

Archived