Coopers Community

ROTM Botanic Ale

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team The recipe for the Botanic Ale states to add the hop from the beginning of the fermentation process. This would mean a dry hopping time of at least 6 days. Is this correct???

Thats how I read it. I have never used nectarone so can’t comment on grassy flavours like galaxy if left in for too long??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

@Coopers DIY Beer Team The recipe for the Botanic Ale states to add the hop from the beginning of the fermentation process. This would mean a dry hopping time of at least 6 days. Is this correct???

Yes, it will be an interesting one to brew.  Maybe some biotransformation goes on where the yeast interacts with the hops to enhance flavours.  I reckon it means my hops will be in the brew for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes, it will be an interesting one to brew.  Maybe some biotransformation goes on where the yeast interacts with the hops to enhance flavours.  I reckon it means my hops will be in the brew for 2 weeks.

Let's see how it will turn out.  I was thinking why not doing an AG Sparkling Ale and using the instructions for the Juniper berries and Nectaron hops? Sounds like a project for you. By the way, did you try your Coopers Lager already?

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Let's see how it will turn out.  I was thinking why not doing an AG Sparkling Ale and using the instructions for the Juniper berries and Nectaron hops? Sounds like a project for you. By the way, did you try your Coopers Lager already?

Doing an AG Sparkling Ale and using the instructions for the Juniper berries and Nectaron hops sounds like an interesting idea.  The description of the Botanic Ale reads a lot like that is what it is.  

Your thought made me check the recipe for Coopers Sparkling Ale against Botanic Ale.  CSA uses

• Thomas Coopers Innkeeper's Daughter Sparkling Ale
  • 1.5kg Light Dry Malt
  • 300g Dextrose

However, Botanic Ale uses

• Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale
  • 1kg Brew Enhancer 3
  • 1kg Light Dry Malt
  • Plus the Nectaron hops and Juniper Berries

There is a bit of a difference between the Innkeeper's Daughter and the Bootmaker kits, especially on the colour scale.  I wonder why Coopers went with Bootmaker?

On your other question:  Yes, I have tried the Coopers Lager.  Here is my side-by-side taste-test.  I found it a very authentic recipe and well worth doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

The recipe was written that way because that is how the commercial version was brewed. The Nectaron hops was added on the cold side in the brewhouse before being transferred to the lager cellar. Cheers, Frank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3