Coopers Community

Pitched too hot

Hey people, first post here. I was making a super quick brew with a Coopers can and, as I didn't have any time, I made two rookie mistakes...

1-pitched the yeast when the wort was still quite hot

2-didn't take a OG reading

I used one of the transparent Coopers with no airlock (https://www.diybeer.com/au/coopers-diy-beer-fermenting-vessel-23l.html) so now I can't tell if there is any activity (e.g., bubbling or not). 

Can someone please help with how I know if the yeast is still alive/working and if there is a way to fix this? 

If fermentation is taking place you will see a foam forming at the top of your brew (krausen).

In response to 1.

How "hot" is hot hot?

In response to 2.

You don't need to to take an OG reading, it just means you won't be able to calculate the final ABV. Although having a hydrometer will help you establish if fermentation is taking place, and when it has stopped.

11 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

If fermentation is taking place you will see a foam forming at the top of your brew (krausen).

In response to 1.

How "hot" is hot hot?

In response to 2.

You don't need to to take an OG reading, it just means you won't be able to calculate the final ABV. Although having a hydrometer will help you establish if fermentation is taking place, and when it has stopped.

It was hot...32C! 

17 minutes ago, Sanitizer said:

It was hot...32C! 

😯

I would let it cool down and see if anything starts to happen over the next couple of days. If not, you might just have to write that one off and try again. I'm sure some of the experts here will weigh in with some advice.

38 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

😯

I would let it cool down and see if anything starts to happen over the next couple of days. If not, you might just have to write that one off and try again. I'm sure some of the experts here will weigh in with some advice.

Thanks 👍

1 hour ago, Sanitizer said:

Hey people, first post here. I was making a super quick brew with a Coopers can and, as I didn't have any time, I made two rookie mistakes...

I used one of the transparent Coopers with no airlock (https://www.diybeer.com/au/coopers-diy-beer-fermenting-vessel-23l.html) so now I can't tell if there is any activity (e.g., bubbling or not). 

Can someone please help with how I know if the yeast is still alive/working and if there is a way to fix this? 

Hi mate an early sign of action from the yeast is condensation on the lid of the fermenter. You can still work out the Og if you know what you put in eg 1 x can of coopers and 500g of ldm will be the same every time. I think @Shamus O'Sean would have chart table with the numbers so you can still work it out without taking an Og unless you did a partial mash yourself then you would need a hydrometer reading!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sanitizer said:

Hi @Sanitizer You have probably killed the yeast so at best you could try pitching more, but I wouldn't hold much hope it can be saved.

Optimum temperatures vary for different brews, i.e. Lagers about 7c-13c & Ales 20c-23c.

When you pitch yeast into wort that is too hot, it can have several consequences:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @Sanitizer You have probably killed the yeast so at best you could try pitching more, but I wouldn't hold much hope it can be saved.

Optimum temperatures vary for different brews, i.e. Lagers about 7c-13c & Ales 20c-23c.

When you pitch yeast into wort that is too hot, it can have several consequences:

If it’s the coopers can yeast I doubt it will be dead at that temperature it will take off like a Tesla though! I would try and cool it with ice bricks and wet towels fan etc! The way my dad cooks his, I mean ferments his beer 40+ in the shed this beer will survive but may be a little cidery maybe????

• Thanks 1

Just now, RDT2 said:

If it’s the coopers can yeast I doubt it will be dead at that temperature it will take off like a Tesla though! I would try and cool it with ice bricks and wet towels fan etc! The way my dad cooks his, I mean ferments his beer 40+ in the shed this beer will survive but may be a little cidery maybe????

Yes mate, I am sure it would ferment but it is the off flavours that I would be concerned with. 

There is warm beer, flat beer but crook tasting beer is the worst (apart from no beer)😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes mate, I am sure it would ferment but it is the off flavours that I would be concerned with. 

There is warm beer, flat beer but crook tasting beer is the worst (apart from no beer)😉

Well you said he’s probably killed it when he probably hasn’t adding more yeast isn’t going to help because at that temp it’s ideal for yeast to take off and multiply (have a party) but will/may produce esters in the early stages. It depends on the yeast also if it’s a Belgian yeast good luck or if it’s a lager yeast  good luck but if it’s the cooper can yeast maybe ok depends on what you like/hoping for. My dad thinks his beer is ok! I never said it was going to be great beer but it maybe drinkable. It would help if we know more about the recipe???

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sanitizer said:

It was hot...32C! 

32c is not hot it's bit too warm for pitching but it will be fine if it was the can yeast when I first started brewing before I had a break I've pitched at that temp a couple of times by mistake. It still took off and fermented and I still drank it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Hi mate an early sign of action from the yeast is condensation on the lid of the fermenter. You can still work out the Og if you know what you put in eg 1 x can of coopers and 500g of ldm will be the same every time. I think @Shamus O'Sean would have chart table with the numbers so you can still work it out without taking an Og unless you did a partial mash yourself then you would need a hydrometer reading!

@Sanitizer, you can find a link for the IanH Spreadsheet at the bottom of this thread here.  You can add your ingredients to figure out an OG.  It is usually pretty accurate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1