Coopers Community

Ordinary bitter without English bitter kit

Suicid

Hi Folks!

I have Lager, Draught, Real Ale and Innkeeper's Daugther kits on hands and i'm thinking to build an ordinary bitter off one of it,

Which one you could suggest for it and what would be possible tweaks?

TIA!

Edited by Suicid

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

Why not an "English bitter"?

I believe he is asking which kit to make an ordinary bitter which is a low abv English bitter but doesn’t have the English bitter kit in his stock!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I thought the Real Ale was basically an (Aussie) English Bitter, but I could be wrong.

Yes, I think you're right. From memory it's lighter in colour, but it's one of the most bitter kits.

I think @Suicid would be better off saying what kind of commercial beer he's trying to make it like.

To me when someone says bitter regarding beer I automatically think of a nice pint of English Bitter.

*Edit. Now I've woken up a bit. Subjective. That's the word I was looking for.

So what one person might perceive as bitter, might not be the same as someone else.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I believe he is asking which kit to make an ordinary bitter which is a low abv English bitter but doesn’t have the English bitter kit in his stock!

That's what I thought, you would probably be better off just buying the can of Bitter rather than mixing other cans, who knows what you would come up with.

47 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's what I thought, you would probably be better off just buying the can of Bitter rather than mixing other cans, who knows what you would come up with.

16 hours ago, Suicid said:

I have Lager, Draught, Real Ale and Innkeeper's Daugther kits on hands and i'm thinking to build an ordinary bitter off one of it,

Which one you could suggest for it and what would be possible tweaks?

He's just asking which one he could make a bitter from.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Suicid said:

Thanks, guys, for all you replies!

Yes, atm I'm try to use what I have, otherwise it would be wiser just to buy English Bitter can and work with it.

But conclusion is seem clear for me - I'll try to get away with the Real Ale can then.

Thanks, @ChairmanDrew @Red devil 44!

All good. As far as possible tweaks go, you could try adding some Fuggle hops or something similar, but the Real Ale is already reasonably bitter to my taste, so maybe just as a dry hop. But you can probably just keep it pretty simple, there's this Unreal Ale recipe you could use as a baseline, with more or less fermentables as per your preference.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 1

Yes real ale is worth a try I guess. It's a good brew.

The trouble with adding hops etc  is you don't know what your modifying unless you have done it in the past.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 3

As @Oldbloke says you don't know what you get if you've already done it.

I made the Real Ale kit very early in my brewing career. I was given some Pride of Ringwood hops, by someone.

I had no idea that Pride of Ringwood was bitter. My already bitter Real Ale became so bitter.

So as @ChairmanDrew says add some Fuggles or I prefer East Kent Goldings.

But I'd suggest adding them after fermentation has died down a bit.

Don't do what I did and make the Real Ale even more bitter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graculus said:

As @Oldbloke says you don't know what you get if you've already done it.

I made the Real Ale kit very early in my brewing career. I was given some Pride of Ringwood hops, by someone.

I had no idea that Pride of Ringwood was bitter. My already bitter Real Ale became so bitter.

So as @ChairmanDrew says add some Fuggles or I prefer East Kent Goldings.

But I'd suggest adding them after fermentation has died down a bit.

Don't do what I did and make the Real Ale even more bitter.

The last Real Ale I made, I added 50gms of POR (infusion) 4 days before kegging & it was fairly bitter but still very drinkable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The last Real Ale I made, I added 50gms of POR (infusion) 4 days before kegging & it was fairly bitter but still very drinkable.

I think I steeped them and added from day one.

I took a few bottles into work and it was too bitter for just about everyone.

A couple of years later we moved premises and there was a bottle at the back of the fridge. It was very nice.