Coopers Community

Oxidation emergency

eelzilla

Hi all,

Been lurking here a while but this is my first post - nice to meet you all!

I recently put on a Coopers Brew A IPA and it was coming along nicely, however I just noticed that I had stupidly not put one of the clip seals on the fermenter properly after removing the collar and it appears that oxidation has set in pretty heavily on the top of the brew:

20231230_144610.thumb.jpg.2418d4b1025ad06721a65870901eb6cf.jpg

I just took a sample and it seems to have reached the predicted FG and tastes good to me from the tap - my question is do you think I'm OK to go ahead and bottle the lower portion of the brew and just avoid the obviously contaminated top section?

Anyone have any experience with this?

9 minutes ago, eelzilla said:

Hi all,

I recently put on a Coopers Brew A IPA and it was coming along nicely, however I just noticed that I had stupidly not put one of the clip seals on the fermenter properly after removing the collar and it appears that oxidation has set in pretty heavily on the top of the brew:

I just took a sample and it seems to have reached the predicted FG and tastes good to me from the tap - my question is do you think I'm OK to go ahead and bottle the lower portion of the brew and just avoid the obviously contaminated top section?

Hi @eelzilla Welcome to the forum, it shouldn't matter too much about the clips, they are there to help hold the lid on when you have a brew that is producing a big krausen (head) the bubbles/condensation you see are signs of fermentation so don't panic.

How long has the brew been in the fermenter & what was the SG - starting gravity?

• Like 1

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co

The beer has only been on 5 days, and had a SG of 1051 (currently sitting on 1010). I was planning to leave it at least 14 but if this was going to be an issue would have pulled it out early if needed.

It was bubbling along nicely for a while but has calmed down over the past couple of days.

The problem with the clip was it was actually stuck under the lid so it was lifted up and not closed on the right hand side, where you can see more of the dark colour.

2 minutes ago, eelzilla said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co

The beer has only been on 5 days, and had a SG of 1051 (currently sitting on 1010). I was planning to leave it at least 14 but if this was going to be an issue would have pulled it out early if needed.

It was bubbling along nicely for a while but has calmed down over the past couple of days.

The problem with the clip was it was actually stuck under the lid so it was lifted up and not closed on the right hand side, where you can see more of the dark colour.

I would remove the collar as you are not going to need it but do it quickly, you will need to leave it for longer & take another reading in about 3 days, it pays to keep a few notes too for future reference.

• Like 2

I removed the collar a few days ago which is when I managed to wedge the clip under the lid instead of properly attaching it, so the beer has essentially had unrestricted oxygen flow entering the fermenter for a few days as the lid was wedged open.

Sounds like you are saying you don't think it's too much of a concern?

12 minutes ago, eelzilla said:

I removed the collar a few days ago which is when I managed to wedge the clip under the lid instead of properly attaching it, so the beer has essentially had unrestricted oxygen flow entering the fermenter for a few days as the lid was wedged open.

Sounds like you are saying you don't think it's too much of a concern?

If you just have the lid properly placed on the FV, it will be OK as it just means there is a little space for it to breathe.

At this point I cannot see any problem, just keep an eye on things but don't lift the lid up until fermentation is finished.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, eelzilla said:

Hi all,

Don't worry about the clips. I never use mine on either of my fermenters. They won't help seal the bucket, they're just there in case you knock things. The Current generation Coopers fermenters aren't air tight so gas can out but because of the pressure in the fermenter, won't let gas in. So unless you stirred the brew after opening the bucket, there should be no oxidation, at least not from that. If the yeast is done and the beer is finished, it may just be yeast slowly dropping to the bottom of the fermenter. There is no oxygen flow as such. The fermentation process leaves a layer of CO2 on top of the beer and unless disturbed, it will keep the oxygen away. Think about it, some breweries ferment in open vessels, with no lid whatsoever. 

As we say, RDWHAHB. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. Leave it in peace for a few days and then bottle it. The proof is in the final product 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oxidization doesnt happen until generally after the beer has fully fermented, then bottled or kegged.

You'll be all good.

Just take care when you bottle. Dont tip your bottles up to mix in priming sugar. Just let the yeast find it, which it will.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Think about it, some breweries ferment in open vessels, with no lid whatsoever. 

This is a very good point too. Your actual beer and a space above it has a good dose of carbon dioxide. After fermentation when packaging is when you need to think about oxygen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eelzilla said:

Hi all,

I think what you think is oxidation is actually the beer clearing up. All the yeast have full bellies and are now sinking to the bottom of the brew in a sugar coma. 😁 This is a good thing. You should notice over the next few days the suspected "oxidation" area will increase as the particulates drop out of the brew.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I think what you think is oxidation is actually the beer clearing up. All the yeast have full bellies and are now sinking to the bottom of the brew in a sugar coma. 😁 This is a good thing. You should notice over the next few days the suspected "oxidation" area will increase as the particulates drop out of the brew.

Bang on Malts.

• Like 2

You'd taste it too, it's pretty unmistakable. I found some old bottles in the garage one day that had been there for half a dozen years. I chilled one down and had a taste and there was a distinct sherry like flavour to it that wasn't originally in the beer. 

The CO2 "blanket" is a bit of a myth, however if it's only been in the fermenter 5 or 6 days undisturbed then there will be plenty of it in the headspace. The darker colour would just be from yeast dropping out of suspension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1