Coopers Community

Australia’s Beer

Mackbrew

So, here’s one to contemplate and debate over upcoming holiday season - what is the definitive Aussie beer?

A quick Reading of Wikipedia says they beer was a trick to improve bad water, and that it came to seen as a remedy for the harms of rum.

Is it an ale without hops, as they didn’t have hops in the colony for a while. Or is it a lager,  which apparently only became a thing in Australia in the late 1800’s.

Is it something of a style that suits it being thirst quenching and ice cold, due to our summers? Something that comes in draught form for quick pouring and consumption?

What would be the characteristics of the ‘Aussie beer’? What boxes would it need to tick to meet favour with most Aussies?

Is it something with a bit of substance to it that goes down well with a BBQ or a Roast Lamb Dinner?

Is it a Pale Ale? Because there’s so many of the bloody things on the commercial market these days. Could it be that the ‘Aussie beer’ is still in development? 

Are there fruity flavours and aromas that need to be developed that could capture the essence of Australia in a beer? Eucalyptus anyone?

You don’t have to like it, but what beer do ya reckon best sums up the nation?

• Like 3

It's a classic, original, not produced anywhere else beer that is in a style all of it's own.

Showcasing a classic Australian hop in a beer that suits the climate. Large amounts of cooling are not required for the yeast and the beer has a best after date, not best before, so it has longevity.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my previous online interactions with Americans and Europeans about beer, it's the Coopers Best Extra Stout that is the real star. I found it was universally loved and revered as something special and unique among stouts. I never saw the Sparkling Ale mentioned TBH, not that I have anything against it, but it's been a while so I may need to reacquaint myself with it to see what the fuss is about here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:49 AM, ChairmanDrew said:

In my previous online interactions with Americans and Europeans about beer, it's the Coopers Best Extra Stout.

What would Americans and Europeans know about " Australia's Beer "  🙂   I think we should be the judge of that.

Also, I would think Coopers would sell a lot more Sparkling here, than Stout. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 8:49 AM, Mackbrew said:

So, here’s one to contemplate and debate over upcoming holiday season - what is the definitive Aussie beer?

A quick Reading of Wikipedia says they beer was a trick to improve bad water, and that it came to seen as a remedy for the harms of rum.

Is it an ale without hops, as they didn’t have hops in the colony for a while. Or is it a lager,  which apparently only became a thing in Australia in the late 1800’s.

Is it something of a style that suits it being thirst quenching and ice cold, due to our summers? Something that comes in draught form for quick pouring and consumption?

What would be the characteristics of the ‘Aussie beer’? What boxes would it need to tick to meet favour with most Aussies?

Is it something with a bit of substance to it that goes down well with a BBQ or a Roast Lamb Dinner?

Is it a Pale Ale? Because there’s so many of the bloody things on the commercial market these days. Check it be that the ‘Aussie beer’ is still in development? 

Are there fruity flavours and aromas that need to be developed that could capture the essence of Australia in a beer? Eucalyptus anyone?

You don’t have to like it, but what beer do ya reckon best sums up the nation?

The definitive Aussie beer is a matter of ongoing debate. Historically, beer in Australia served as a remedy for the harms of rum and a means to improve bad water quality. It evolved from ales without hops to lagers, becoming popular in the late 1800s. Characteristics favored by many Aussies include being thirst-quenching, ice-cold, and suitable for quick consumption, often in draught form. A beer that complements BBQs or Roast Lamb Dinners is appreciated. While Pale Ales dominate the market, the 'Aussie beer' is still evolving, with potential for fruity flavors or aromas like eucalyptus to capture the essence of Australia.

• Like 2