Coopers Community

Frozen Keg

VFrizz47

Hey guys, I'm back haha, can you help me out? I got a brand new quarter keg today from the beer distributor today of lager and it was very cold. I didn't think anything of it until I put it in my kegerator for a half hour and it froze. I am thinking that they gave me a frozen keg without thinking. Sometimes this distributor has their kegs in their "fridge" for a long time, so I'm thinking it was already frozen or just about frozen. My kegerator's thermostat works just fine as I have already turned it down to the "2" setting on the dial. I also have a thermometer that says its between 30-40 degrees currently. I just had 2 sixtels in there literally last week at the same temperature and both didn't freeze.

Okay sorry to rant, I have my new quarter keg currently sitting out on my kitchen floor where the house temperature is currently at 70 degrees. I am hoping it thawls out quickly. So any suggestions? Will the keg be ruined? It's a brand new full quarter keg.

Thanks guys

Should be fine once it thaws out. I've not frozen a beer keg before but I have done it with bottles, they're always fine once they thaw out so I can't imagine a keg would be any different.

Depending on how fully it's frozen it could take a day or so to completely thaw out in those sorts of temperatures. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

8 hours ago, VFrizz47 said:

Hey guys, I'm back haha, can you help me out? I got a brand new quarter keg today from the beer distributor today of lager and it was very cold. I didn't think anything of it until I put it in my kegerator for a half hour and it froze. I am thinking that they gave me a frozen keg without thinking. Sometimes this distributor has their kegs in their "fridge" for a long time, so I'm thinking it was already frozen or just about frozen. My kegerator's thermostat works just fine as I have already turned it down to the "2" setting on the dial. I also have a thermometer that says its between 30-40 degrees currently. I just had 2 sixtels in there literally last week at the same temperature and both didn't freeze.

Okay sorry to rant, I have my new quarter keg currently sitting out on my kitchen floor where the house temperature is currently at 70 degrees. I am hoping it thawls out quickly. So any suggestions? Will the keg be ruined? It's a brand new full quarter keg.

Thanks guys

I've got no idea. But 30-40 degrees is beach weather around here, and 70 is getting towards pasteurization temperature.

8 hours ago, VFrizz47 said:

Thanks guys

It will be OK if you thaw it out, as @Otto Von Blotto said, we have all frozen bottles, Fermenters & still drank it.

Hey guys yes sorry I am over here in the U.S. gotta love our measuring system. Yes I was referring to farenheit. currently I have the keg sitting out on my front porch as it is 75 degrees F which is 23 degrees Celsius. The keg is untapped currently.