Coopers Community

Diamond Lager Yeast

Hilltop hops

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

Gonna use Diamond Lager yeast for the first time. 2 packs for a 23L AG brew. Any advice on rehydration, fermenting temps, times etc? I know @Hoppy81 posted about it a while back.

Hey mate. I don't bother with rehydration and 2 packs will be fine without rehydrating. My lager profile with Diamond is 11c 13c 15c 17c 2c over a 15 day period.

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Gonna use Diamond Lager yeast for the first time. 2 packs for a 23L AG brew. Any advice on rehydration, fermenting temps, times etc? I know @Hoppy81 posted about it a while back.

I used Diamond in my Fuku FWK. The instructions were 14 days @ 14C, 1 day @ 16C, 1 day @ 18C, 1 day @ 20C, and 1 day @ 22C. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I used Diamond in my Fuku FWK. The instructions were 14 days @ 14C, 1 day @ 16C, 1 day @ 18C, 1 day @ 20C, and 1 day @ 22C. 

Strange recepie because it would be well and truly finished ferment or close to it at around a week. And ready for a drest @18 degrees. Not sure what the 20 then 22 degrees is acheving.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Strange recepie because it would be well and truly finished ferment or close to it at around a week. And ready for a drest @18 degrees. Not sure what the 20 then 22 degrees is acheving.

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

That's quite a strange temperature profile.

Here's a link to the Kegland's instructions .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

not doubting what u said they told you to do just really strange. Usually you would start d rest before ferment finished. With today's yeast especially using 2 packs at 14 degrees it would more than likely be ready to d rest within the week. 

I fear they are using outdated info like the Coopers Tins saying brew on 27 degrees.

It was common to fo 14 days before d rest in the old days when the yeast was not as lively as now. 

If you would rather do that stick with it but a simple hydrometer reading would tell you when to d rest.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yes, it is strange but I have seen plenty of lager recipes suggesting to ferment at 11 for something like 3 weeks, then ramp up to 17 for a day and then cold crash. One would think the yeast is done and dusted after 3 weeks and has gone to sleep. Not sure what a d-rest will do with the yeast being dormant due to lack of food. But I'm sure there is a reason for it. 

I've never used Diamon Lager, so I can't speak about it but when using NovLager, it sits at 15 until it gets to about 1.020, then Temp goes up to 19 until finished, before temp gets dropped 3C per day until it reaches cold crash temps. Using Dubbya, I use a similar cycle but start at 13 and do the d-rest at 18. That seems to work fine. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, it is strange but I have seen plenty of lager recipes suggesting to ferment at 11 for something like 3 weeks, then ramp up to 17 for a day and then cold crash. One would think the yeast is done and dusted after 3 weeks and has gone to sleep. Not sure what a d-rest will do with the yeast being dormant due to lack of food. But I'm sure there is a reason for it. 

I've never used Diamon Lager, so I can't speak about it but when using NovLager, it sits at 15 until it gets to about 1.020, then Temp goes up to 19 until finished, before temp gets dropped 3C per day until it reaches cold crash temps. Using Dubbya, I use a similar cycle but start at 13 and do the d-rest at 18. That seems to work fine. 

As they saying goes, more than one way to skin a cat 😜

As long as it works, that's the main thing 🍻

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A lager yeast I swear by when doing non traditional lager recipes, is M54 Californian lager yeast. Ferments at 18-20c. It is the strain of yeast they use at the Anchor Brewery in San Francisco for steam beers.   Gives a wonderful clean flavour profile.  I recommend that. The only time I use traditional lager yeasts and fermentation profiles are for my decocted Czech Pilsners.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty_G said:

A lager yeast I swear by when doing non traditional lager recipes, is M54 Californian lager yeast. Ferments at 18-20c. It is the strain of yeast they use at the Anchor Brewery in San Francisco for steam beers.   Gives a wonderful clean flavour profile.  I recommend that. The only time I use traditional lager yeasts and fermentation profiles are for my decocted Czech Pilsners.  

Interesting. I hope I remember to give it a try next time a do a Steam Beer. BTW, Anchor Brewing are no more, the parent company shut them down a few months ago.

• Like 1