Coopers Community

Beginners Draught Recipe

Bemby

Hey everyone, looking to make my second brew in a couple days, just wanted to check with people who know more than me if this recipe is any good and what my expected abv will be. I’ve been told it’ll be strong but that’s what I’m going for as my first batch using coopers lager extract only came out at 3.2%

• 1.7 kg Coopers Draught
  • 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
  • 500g Coopers light dry malt
  • 1kg Dextrose
  • 11.5g US-05
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

why don't you try that recepie minus the 1kg of dextrose and bring the volume down to 20 litres?

Kit yeast will be fine but the 05 will still work and give a neutral flavour brewed at 18 to 20 degrees

What will the expected abv be around if I remove the dextrose and reduce the volume?

49 minutes ago, Bemby said:

Hey everyone, looking to make my second brew in a couple days, just wanted to check with people who know more than me if this recipe is any good and what my expected abv will be. I’ve been told it’ll be strong but that’s what I’m going for as my first batch using coopers lager extract only came out at 3.2%

• 1.7 kg Coopers Draught
  • 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
  • 500g Coopers light dry malt
  • 1kg Dextrose
  • 11.5g US-05

I'm no expert but by my calculations, assuming you are making a 23L batch and bottling with the recommended amount of carbonation drops or priming sugar, you'd end up with an ABV of around 6.3-6.5%, probably a little bit less, but 6% or a little over

Edited by Kegory
coffee
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Recipe minus the dextrose to 20 litres would be 1.054 OG, assuming it ferments to about 1.010-12 FG it would come to pretty much 6% bottled. 

It'll also taste better than it would with an extra kilo of dextrose.

Thanks, can I also ask how you work out what its OG would be in advance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Recipe minus the dextrose to 20 litres would be 1.054 OG, assuming it ferments to about 1.010-12 FG it would come to pretty much 6% bottled. 

It'll also taste better than it would with an extra kilo of dextrose.

I totally agree with Otto, lose the Dextrose, the Draught is a full-bodied beer, you don't want to thin it or mess with the flavours etc.

6 hours ago, Bemby said:

Thanks, can I also ask how you work out what its OG would be in advance?

I think @Otto Von Blotto has been brewing so long he's committed it all to memory but you can use the Ian H spreadsheet from this site or look for online calculators or apps that will do it for you. You can also do it manually if you want.

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

I think @Otto Von Blotto has been brewing so long he's committed it all to memory but you can use the Ian H spreadsheet from this site or look for online calculators or apps that will do it for you. You can also do it manually if you want.

I came up with a formula that works it out based on the amount of sugar dissolved in a given volume of water. 

100g/L will always be the same SG of 1.038.

It's just total grams of sugar divided by the litres multiplied by 0.38. It comes out as a whole number like 46, which is the last two digits of the SG. I haven't worked out a way of working it to give the 1.046 number but it does the job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I came up with a formula that works it out based on the amount of sugar dissolved in a given volume of water. 

It's just total grams of sugar divided by the litres multiplied by 0.38. It comes out as a whole number like 46, which is the last two digits of the SG. I haven't worked out a way of working it to give the 1.046 number but it does the job. 

Oh, that's interesting. I just use Palmer's method of mass multiplied by PKL divided by volume and then add that to the assumed gravity of water (1.000).

On 9/6/2023 at 9:59 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Reminds me of a limerick….

There was a mathematician named Hall

Who had an hexagonal ball

The cube of its weight

Times its height, plus eight 

Is his phone number, give him a call!
🤪

• Haha 6