Coopers Community

The Big Taste

weggl

Had the Manly Vale Brewing Inc. first official tasting last Saturday. 13 different brews were submitted for rating.

The results that are being analysed by my daughter are not at this moment complete. However a good day was had by all. There were 10 blokes, sent the women away for the day, the blokes consumed 54 longnecks. After the tasting and sheets were marked on their own preferences it was down to some serious drinking. Most of this took place in the heated spar attached to the pool; all took turns of being the runner sent to fetch the longnecks.

Plastic sports glasses together with plastic bottles were provided; this was a safety measure knowing that most would finish up in the pool. I know Muddy would approve of this measure being taken.

The function took place at my daughter\u2019s house and my son in-law provided the steaks, sausages and suchlike for lunch. We started at 11/30 AM and finished around 5 PM, can\u2019t be quite sure of that time. A few seem to have memory loss because they seem to have missed some of the happenings, hope they don\u2019t blame my ale.

Sounds like a good day Warren. Your supplies would have dwindled down to around the 1000 mark after that day.

Please tell me you weren't wearing your sluggos in the spa [sick]

But please tell me you were wearing something [sick] [sick]

I tend to frequent a higher class of event where people drink beer from glasses [innocent] ...you may as well just have VB if you are going to drink from plastic [rightful]

Hey Muddy

Does that include PET bottles?[rightful]

Hairy,

The reason Muddy did not get an invite was because I know of his aversion for plastic drinking vessels, I\u2019m sure Muddy understands the necessity for these utensils, under the circumstances. Just imagine the damage that could have been done with broken glass in a spar with 10 blokes, plus the fact that if things got out of hand and say, argument broke out amongst slightly intoxicated members of the voting team, with glass in their hands, well I had to anticipate the likelihood so I removed any deadly weapons.[crying]

Do you not think that wise? Plus he might have judged my ale to be in the VB class and he would have ruined my hard earned reputation on this site.

I was wearing apparel that suited my date of birth.[pinched]

Yes the stock has had a dent put in it Hairy. Sorry Tony but I\u2019m afraid the shake up of the brews over such a distance would do them no good.

The Pet Weggl apparel

I tend to frequent a higher class of event where people drink beer from glasses [innocent] ...you may as well just have VB if you are going to drink from plastic [rightful]

Hey Muddy

Does that include PET bottles?[rightful]

Absolutely! I routinely bottle in plastic but would never dream of drinking from it [rightful] A decent portion of what we perceive as taste is actually made up of smell - Beer smells funny when drinking from plastic thus the taste is affected. The "plastic" smell/taste is purely from the smell of the bottle or plastic glass therefore if you decant into a suitable glass vessel the problem is eradicated.

But when it comes down to it home brew shouldn't be drunk from a bottle be it glass or plastic [rightful]

I routinely bottle in plastic .... A decent portion of what we perceive as taste is actually made up of smell - Beer smells funny when drinking from plastic thus the taste is affected. The "plastic" smell/taste is purely from the smell of the bottle .....therefore if you decant into a suitable glass vessel the problem is eradicated.

Fair enough that's a damn good answer Muddy. I thought I had you when I called you on the PET bottles. I am a bit of a (young) traditionalist and can't beer the thought of decanting from plastic (regardless of the PET controversy). So even though I bottled 15 PET bottles first up, out of necessity, I have now collected just over 400 glass bottles which will hold my beer. I will use the PET bottles a couple of times for non alcoholic ginger beer until I build up a small stock of soft drink glass bottles.

I will pay particular attention to the beer I decant from the PET next month. I may sound borderline OCD or something but I won't even drink beer that has come from a can.

PS I can't sample the PET bottles to next month because after reading one of your posts I have decided on a half no-beer-vember.

Sometimes PET bottles get a bad wrap on home brew forums but I don't really know why.

If you are planning on cellaring for a long period of time then glass is the way to go.

But for beers consumed within say 12 months, I have had no problems with PET. If you poured a glass bottled beer and a PET bottled beer from the same batch in a side by side comparison, I reckon you wouldn't tell the difference.

I also like the way the sediment really compacts into the little feet.

I don't want to turn this into a glass vs PET debate, I like both and they both do the job.

Eddie, you won't have any dramas when you crack open the PETs.

Also, if you are going to do a half no-beer-vember then I reckon you should you abstain from alcohol for 12 hours each day and drink during the other 12. [biggrin]

I am a bit of a (young) traditionalist and can't beer the thought of decanting from plastic (regardless of the PET controversy). So even though I bottled 15 PET bottles first up' date=' out of necessity, I have now collected just over 400 glass bottles which will hold my beer. I will use the PET bottles a couple of times for non alcoholic ginger beer until I build up a small stock of soft drink glass bottles.[/quote']

Don't fear the PET - I did but then I saw the light.

I may sound borderline OCD or something but I won't even drink beer that has come from a can.

Not at all. I suffered for years avoiding anything that comes in a can...still rarely come across anything I want to drink from a can but if I do I feel safe in the knowledge that if I put it in a glass I will avoid the tinny "taste" (smell). Not many good beers come in cans though.

I won't drink beer from a can.... phffffft.... hate hate vomit!!

Whilst it doesn't taste as good out of a bottle, you get used to it after a while. Cans are good when you're travelling, especially when you have an esky full of beer in the back of a ute on a bumpy or gravel road.

They also dont take as long to chill. These days, its about the only time I will resort to drinking megaswill beers, as I dont have much choice there. The PET bottles would be good, but are a little too cumbersome to shove in the esky to take away for extended periods.

Glass bottles don't tend to last very long in the back of a ute before you get breakages, even with the esky strapped down they tend to get tossed around inside the esky and smash.

Well, not one of the 10 tasters complained about smell of plastic, taste of plastic or even about the beer, aint that wonderful!! What people believe can affect what they percieve. An association of conditions, when I was a kid if I said I was a bit crook I would get a dose of castor oil followed up with an orange to eat so as to remove the taste of the castor oil. Twenty years later if I attempted to eat an orange, the first thing I would get would be the taste of castor oil.

So if you believe that the famous Aussie sport glasses taste of plastic, then you are suffering from a conjured up taste because of your belief. This taste will be very real to you, but don\u2019t try to plant that belief on me.

Go Budgie Smugglers and PET Sport glasses.

The Pet

Knowing how many fridges Bill has I wouldn't be surprised if he did have one in the crapper [biggrin]

Ummm I wont tell you where one of the eskis are atm [innocent] albeit nothing in it.

and.... I just found another fridge/freezer to pick up too :)

or I will let this one go to Eddie if he is interested... Here is the link Eddie Let me know though because if you're not quick enough or don't want it, I'm going to take it. [joyful]

[or I will let this one go to Eddie if he is interested... Here is the link Eddie Let me know though because if you're not quick enough or don't want it' date=' I'm going to take it. [joyful']

Thanks for the tip Bill, but I won't be quick enough you best go.

You are an expert Fridge spotter, I have been looking and reckon I'll find one before Xmas; All I have to do is figure out where to put it[cool]

13 different brews to taste is a fair effort. In 12 months i think im only upto number 8 in the taste testing' date=' im happy just having 120 bottles to brew with. If i had 1000 bottles i have call home a pub lol[/quote']

That depends on your brewing and how you are set up of course. With more than 1000 bottles (long necks) should give about 40-45+ cartons then how many different ones you brew is entirely up to the brewer of course. Therefore, 13 different brews from 40 I would say Warren would have a few more there that may not have been tried. [bandit]

Personally, in 11 months I have brewed and drank 19 brews (not all different though) and soon when I finish my next temp controller I will be looking to at least double (maybe even triple) this over the next 12 months. [love] I can't wait until I can finally stock Obelix full and have a little storage supply going on the side.

Yea Bill, just brewed No 69 today (what a good number) a lot of those have gone but a lot still remain. the reason I have brewed so many in a hurry is so i can get a lot of them older. Had one last night a Sparkling Ale 11.5 month old, wonderful, but alas it was the last one left.[pinched]

Archived