Coopers Community

Naturally carbonating kegs

craigb12

On 12/30/2023 at 9:56 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Greeny, my sample size was very small.  I maybe did it 6 times.  It worked perfectly the first time.  The others were patchy.  The primed kegs were always left sitting for at least 2 weeks, sometimes a lot more.  Once the kegs had carbonated for a few weeks, I would put the keg in the fridge.  Then I would try it the next day, once cold.  Because none of the others were carbonated to my liking and at least one, not at all, I gave up.  I figured my previous, and now usual, process of fast carbing at 40psi for 24 hours was more reliable. 

I've never had any luck with fast carbing. The beer is always seriously undercarbed and still needs 5 days or so on serving pressure. I watched a video of the Home Brew Network and Gash did the uber-fast carb by rolling the keg while carbing. He reckons you can get fully carbed beer in just 10 minutes. It never worked for me at all, so I just hook them up to gas at serving pressure and leave them for a few days.

• Like 3

I’ve tried putting sugar in the keg, to get the cask ale effect for using my beer engine with. I had to order a new siphon part so haven’t really been successful yet.

I think the ratio is half the amount of sugar as you would use in bottling. You will get some trub in for sure. I got floating kits for all of my cornies, but the 5 and 10 l kegs just have the normal hose in the bottom so the first glasses will be a bit murky.

I don’t fast carb either as I often put poly in to clear it. Don’t want to shale it all up

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 1