Coopers Community

Store or dispose of remaining liquid malt extract?

Kegory

The Coopers Dark Ale recipe calls for 750ml Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract (half the can). I don't have any other brews planned in the near future that I can use the remainder in.

I assume that I will just have to dispose of the left over unless anyone has any good ideas about what to do with it. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kegory said:

The Coopers Dark Ale recipe calls for 750ml Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract (half the can). I don't have any other brews planned in the near future that I can use the remainder in.

I assume that I will just have to dispose of the left over unless anyone has any good ideas about what to do with it. Any suggestions?

If you have a tight sealing container (sanitised) you could store it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't like to comment on freezing it however as I am sure it wouldn't be any good after. OMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

If you have a tight sealing container (sanitised) you could store it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't like to comment on freezing it however as I am sure it wouldn't be any good after. OMO.

I was thinking freezing it, then when you went to re-use it make sure you include it in the boil. I have no idea what effect that would have on the flavour or fermentability. But hey, worthy of on experiment anyway if you are going to chuck it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

As Phil suggested, store it in a container in the fridge. I've done that successfully in the past. If you're worried about using it next time give it a boil with some hops as an addition to your brew. Dont waste it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

Options:

• Make the Coopers Dark Ale Recipe twice.
  • Maybe try the other half with another Coopers can (Mexican Cerveza, Canadian Blonde, Lager, Draught, etc.) and see if you notice a difference in the two brews
  • Make the Coopers Dark Ale Recipe darker and a bit more ABV by using the whole can
  • Glad Wrap the top of the can and elastic band to help seal.  It will store for a month.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Options:

• Maybe try the other half with another Coopers can (Mexican Cerveza, Canadian Blonde, Lager, Draught, etc.) and see if you notice a difference in the two brews
  • Make the Coopers Dark Ale Recipe darker and a bit more ABV by using the whole can
  • Glad Wrap the top of the can and elastic band to help seal.  It will store for a month.

Very nice advice Shamus.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Options:

Option 5: I reckon someone with a bit of kitchen flair could make a pretty tasty dark malt fudge dessert out of that.

Sadly that's a fair way beyond my skill set.

• Haha 1