Coopers Community

Mismatch Enigma IPL - Tribute Recipe

I have designed a clone recipe for a 21 L batch of the Mismatch Brewing's - Enigma IPL and just wondering if anybody has tried this beer.  I realize it was a limited release but maybe someone was lucky and can comment on it. 

Interested for two reasons, 1. using a lager yeast Dubbya in an IPA style beer and 2. using Enigma hops in a no boil situation, just whirlpool them, say 30 g at 95 C long enough to get required IBU's technique along with a dry hop at day 7 of Enigma say 150 g and Centennial say 90 g. 

Wort would still be boiled for say 30 - 60 mins but no hops added until the whirlpool at 95 C.

Going on the original beers can description, it sounds like a good summer lager style IPA to have on tap in the warmer months.

Targets:  OG = 1.053 ABV = 5.5 % (could be a bit less in final recipe) FG = 1.011 IBU = 30 EBC = 13.8

Anyway interested on anyone's comments either with the actual beer or the use of Enigma hops - TIA.

Mismatch Brewing Enigma IPL.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I have designed a clone recipe for a 21 L batch of the Mismatch Brewing's - Enigma IPL and just wondering if anybody has tried this beer.  I realize it was a limited release but maybe someone was lucky and can comment on it. 

Interested for two reasons, 1. using a lager yeast Dubbya in an IPA style beer and 2. using Enigma hops in a no boil situation, just whirlpool them, say 30 g at 95 C long enough to get required IBU's technique along with a dry hop at day 7 of Enigma say 150 g and Centennial say 90 g. 

Wort would still be boiled for say 30 - 60 mins but no hops added until the whirlpool at 95 C.

Going on the original beers can description, it sounds like a good summer lager style IPA to have on tap in the warmer months.

Targets:  OG = 1.053 ABV = 5.5 % (could be a bit less in final recipe) FG = 1.011 IBU = 30 EBC = 13.8

Anyway interested on anyone's comments either with the actual beer or the use of Enigma hops - TIA.

I have not tried this beer, so cannot help much.  I have not made an IPA style using a lager yeast either.  This makes me think, why bother posting then?

Well, I have used Enigma hops in the Coopers 2020 Vintage Ale recipe and the Code Breaker IPA recipe.  The hops in the Vintage Ale were noticeable, but it is a hop diverse recipe.  The Code Breaker IPA was a nice hop aroma bomb though.  So Enigma seems good from that perspective.

I think part of the trick with no boil hops and whirlpool additions is getting the bitterness right.  I recently did my third Bentspoke Crankshaft IPA brew.  It has 46g Citra, 45g Ekuanot, 42g Centennial, 26g Simcoe 15 minute hopstand at 77°C.  After the 15 minutes, I cooled the wort down to around 60°C and left it at that, with the hopstand hops still in the wort, while I transferred the wort to the FV.  On tasting a sample, I think it might be nicely more bitter than my previous versions.  Previously, I pulled the aroma addition, that was in a hop sock, right at the end of the 15 minute hopstand.  As a result, I think I missed out on a couple of bitterness points.  I theorised that commercial breweries go commando with their hops.  Therefore they do not remove the hops at the end of the hopstand.  Their main way of stopping IBU production is to cool the wort.  So I tried to simulate what they do.  I think my latest Bentspoke Crankshaft IPA is better for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Mismatch Brewing Enigma IPL.PNG

I have tried IPLS with both diamond and south German lager yeast both turned out really nice! The one below my neighbour really loved which was with the sgl yeast. I have used enigma in a pacific ale 2 parts enigma 1 part Galaxy it was good also! I am tempted to try what you are talking about just with  ekuanot as I have 200grams and was tossing up what to do with a yeast cake I will have from an Aussie lager!

IMG_1240.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@RDT2 thanks for that info, sounds promising then.  Yes I was going to use Dubbya but just now, tonight realized have more fresh SGLY bottled up than I need for my Carlton Draught clone so will use the SGLY instead.   Reading up on this hop I notice that lots of brewers / craft breweries pair Enigma and Galaxy and they say they compliment each other.

My proposed grain bill is:

CPPM = 3450 g - WEY Munich I = 750 g - SIM Light Crystal = 150 g - WEY Wheat = 300 g

As @Shamus O'Sean says the trick will be getting the IBU right with timing and amounts in the whirlpool.

On another note and another recipe I have been looking at which calls for hops to go in at "mash in" and again at FHW and again at the boil.  I know about FWH but don't think my software (Brewfather) has a drop down option for Mash Hopping like it does for FWH and Whirlpool flame out etc.  Anyone else use software that has the calculations for Mash Hopping I wonder and why use mash hopping?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

On another note and another recipe I have been looking at which calls for hops to go in at "mash in" and again at FHW and again at the boil.  I know about FWH but don't think my software (Brewfather) has a drop down option for Mash Hopping like it does for FWH and Whirlpool flame out etc.  Anyone else use software that has the calculations for Mash Hopping I wonder and why use mash hopping?

You might have found it by now, however, Brewfather does have an option for Mash hopping.

image.thumb.png.00ad3b36550ac5389ff6a42d59d61339.png

When I played around with this option, it showed some strange results.

I do not know why you would Mash hop compared to other methods.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 7:45 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

You might have found it by now, however, Brewfather does have an option for Mash hopping.

@Shamus O'Sean thanks, yes did find it.  I was going on memory when I posted that question as I had not logged into Brewfather for several weeks.  Further research indicates that Mash Hopping is done more with whole flowers and only in delicate beers that do not have late pellet additions, which would kill the effect that is desired by doing the Mash Hopping in the first place.  I will leave that process to the expert brewers and keep mine simple. 👍

• Like 2