Coopers Community

Useless Information

• 5 weeks later...

Heres some useless information regarding a total solar eclipse.

It is an interesting coincidence that the Moon should so nearly perfectly blot out the Sun, since there is really no physical reason why this has to be the case. The Moon happens to be about 400 times smaller than the Sun, but the Sun happens to be about 400 times further from the Earth than the Moon is. So simple geometry tells us that the apparent disk of the Moon is almost exactly the size of the apparent disk of the Sun.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

It is an interesting coincidence that the Moon should so nearly perfectly blot out the Sun, since there is really no physical reason why this has to be the case. The Moon happens to be about 400 times smaller than the Sun, but the Sun happens to be about 400 times further from the Earth than the Moon is. So simple geometry tells us that the apparent disk of the Moon is almost exactly the size of the apparent disk of the Sun.

Someone needs another beer!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Swell, thanks, I think 🤔

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was stupid enough to start it. 😬

Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.

I'm glad i dont have this,

Zythophobia: the fear of beer and those who drink beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

The Moon is moving away from the Earth. In the past when the Moon was closer it would have blotted out more light during an eclipse. In the future when the Moon is farther away from the Earth the apparent disc of the Moon will appear smaller than the apparent disc of the Sun and blot out less light.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was stupid enough to start it. 😬

Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.

I'd like to hear you try to pronounce that after you've emptied a few beer glasses. Some of those big ones in your collection, too.

• Haha 2

• 11 months later...